Would adding another rad actually do anything?

Gorilla

Supreme [H]ardness
So I recently set up my first water cooling loop. Specs are in my sig. It's been great. It reduced my load temps by around 21C. I'm totally happy.

However, I've got this spare XSPC RS240 sitting around..... I mean, my EX360 is probably overkill for just cooling my cpu, but I've got the spare rad and space in my case.....

I guess my question is will adding another rad to my loop actually help my temperatures at all?

What are your temps, and how far above ambient are they?

What you could do is attach all the rads, and then run your fans at 5v so your computer is silent.

you will always see improvement by adding rad until ambiet stops you. The question is by how much. In your case a better pump and block would probably show you a bit more improvement. But since you have the rad on hand there is no reason not to

What are your temps, and how far above ambient are they?

What you could do is attach all the rads, and then run your fans at 5v so your computer is silent.

Right now with 3 yate loon high fans on exhaust I'm seeing max temperatures under IBT of about 61C. Ambient ranges between 19C-22C.

Right now with 3 yate loon high fans on exhaust I'm seeing max temperatures under IBT of about 61C. Ambient ranges between 19C-22C.

With temps ~35 to 40 degrees above ambient, adding another rad should definitely improve your temp.

What kind of waterblock and pump are you using? And is there a way to find out your fluid temperatures?

With temps ~35 to 40 degrees above ambient, adding another rad should definitely improve your temp.

What kind of waterblock and pump are you using? And is there a way to find out your fluid temperatures?

I'm using pretty basic stuff, xspc rasa acetal block and x20 750 pump (not the best out there, but decent enough for the moment).

I don't have any temperature sensors if that is what you mean. I don't even have a thermometer that I could drop into the res.

Last edited:
Comparing processor/core temps to ambient has nothing to do with loop performance. The real indicator of loop performance is the comparison of water temperature to ambient air temp.

Normally a 360 is more than enough for just the cpu but that is a terrible temp difference for a 360 radiator. If there is not something wrong with your radiator (like all clogged up) I'd say you need a better pump or check for kinks in the hoses. You may also want to check your thermal compound..

Last edited:
Well, having added my spare rs240 to my loop I can say that it made no difference whatsoever. My temperatures are exactly the same as before.

Is that rad top mounted? Make sure you're not sitting with a large air pocket in it.

Is that rad top mounted? Make sure you're not sitting with a large air pocket in it.

I have a 360 rad on the top and a 240 on the bottom. I shouldn't have any air pockets as I have thoroughly rotated and shaken my case repeatedly.

You've got to be kidding...

Yay for advice that doesn't make sense!

Please elaborate and share your insightful knowlege:)

Even though another Radiator was added, and temps stayed the same, some might draw the conclusion that the 360 was removing as much heat as possible so there was no advantage. Others might consider that with adding an extra XSPC RS240 which is not the best performer out there, you also add more tubing (in this case he says one is on top of case, one on the bottom) and you add restriction to the flow rate. Perhaps any advantage was going to be marginal, and it was negated by the addition of extra tubing and restriction.

A stronger pump can move more liquid through the loop in the same amont of time. It is a myth that the coolant has to stay in the radiator for a while to cool. I was suggesting that if this is so, the coolant can make more passes through the loop in the same amount of time. Another advantage would be more turbidity on the CPU water block, which could improve cooling.

Unless I missed it in this thread, we also dont know what type of fans are on the second radiator. Might be low performing fans on a mid performing radiator added to a mid performing pump.

If your going to say someone elses comments (which are from good intentions to try and help) dont make sense, please back up your opinion. maybe we can all learn from you.

Last edited:
Please elaborate and share your insightful knowlege:)

Even though another Radiator was added, and temps stayed the same, some might draw the conclusion that the 360 was removing as much heat as possible so there was no advantage. Others might consider that with adding an extra XSPC RS240 which is not the best performer out there, you also add more tubing (in this case he says one is on top of case, one on the bottom) and you add restriction to the flow rate. Perhaps any advantage was going to be marginal, and it was negated by the addition of extra tubing and restriction.

A stronger pump can move more liquid through the loop in the same amont of time. It is a myth that the coolant has to stay in the radiator for a while to cool. I was suggesting that if this is so, the coolant can make more passes through the loop in the same amount of time. Another advantage would be more turbidity on the CPU water block, which could improve cooling.

Unless I missed it in this thread, we also dont know what type of fans are on the second radiator. Might be low performing fans on a mid performing radiator added to a mid performing pump.

If your going to say someone elses comments (which are from good intentions to try and help) dont make sense, please back up your opinion. maybe we can all learn from you.

1) Look at his loop.
2) THINK!

To suggest JG is flow restricted is ridiculous. He has a CPU block, a radiator, and a submerged pump/res combo. Radiators and tubing add extremely little resistence. One QD fitting drops the flow more than an RS240 (.14PSI drop at 1gpm, VL3N QD fitting .63PSI drop at 1gpm). Want to know how much my temps decreased in my rig (480 rad, Rasa CPU, Razor 6970 x2, MC-RES, 4 sets of QD fittings) after adding a second 18W DDC? Negligibly.

If another 240 rad didn't change temps what makes you think push-pull fans/shrouds will? Even when they could be useful their effect is marginal at best. I saw at most a 2C drop when I added an RX240 to my TFC480 and my loop easily has a higher heat load than JG's. Once again, negligible.

Couldn't you run with lower speed fans if you add a second radiator, and still have an adequate amount of cooling?

yup, that's why I'll soon be running 5x120 worth of rads for just a cpu and a gpu.

I want to have a quiet high overclock.

Back