Would Raid 1 be sufficient in this scenario

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
Looking at setting up a small network for a dental practice soon. It will have three desktops and a tablet. At any given time, the most number of machines trying to access the server would be two, possibly three. Could I get away with Raid 1 or would it be too slow? The most intensive situation I can think of occurring would be one machine scheduling/accessing appointments, while another machine is sending digital xrays to the server and the server is backing up its contents to another local file server.

Thanks!

As long as you don't think of RAID being a backup mechanism, then that is fine. RAID is simply an uptime adjunct that lets you stay online without having to go to backups. You should still (especially when your business/practice relies on it) have a full backup workflow in place, encompassing both onsite and offsite backups.

AMD_RULES 2[H]4U, 5.3 Years .....you've never heard the mantra that RAID is not a back-up?

As long as you don't think of RAID being a backup mechanism, then that is fine. RAID is simply an uptime adjunct that lets you stay online without having to go to backups. You should still (especially when your business/practice relies on it) have a full backup workflow in place, encompassing both onsite and offsite backups.

AMD_RULES 2[H]4U, 5.3 Years .....you've never heard the mantra that RAID is not a back-up?

Thanks for the info, but I never said raid was to be used for backup. I said the server would be backing up to another server, but the raid itself isn't the backup plan.

All I asked was if Raid 1 would be sufficient performance-wise or if it would be ideal to look into another Raid level.

Thanks for the info, but I never said raid was to be used for backup. I said the server would be backing up to another server, but the raid itself isn't the backup plan.

All I asked was if Raid 1 would be sufficient performance-wise or if it would be ideal to look into another Raid level.

For a single/dual user config, you will have no performance issues with RAID1.

Sorry, I misread.

I'll go with mwroobel. :)

Back