Would you buy

Even though newegg is as reputable and classy as they come, you have to be careful with refurbs. Its a hell of a bargain, but you run the risk of whatever OEM receiving it, not bothering to test it, and just boxing it back up and shipping it out. I've been burned a couple of times.

That said, I'd go with the 6800.

The two cards are different prices because one card is AGP Pro, while the other is not.

DNA Doc said:
The two cards are different prices because one card is AGP Pro, while the other is not.
The more expensive one also seems to come with more software.

EDIT: Actually ignore that, thoes discs do NOT come with the refurbish.

i would buy the ati card, my last cards are nvidia cards so if it was me i would buy an ati card. i also think the gt card is a little old, and the xl is more updated maybe!?!!

that isn't AGP pro, look at it. the connection is exactly the same. thats must be a misprint by newegg, or the pics are wrong. those cards basically look the same. they're both 6800 GT agp cards. sure, tehy might have different fans and such, but they're stilll both 6800's.
Hey, i'd go for the 6800. my BFG 6800GT has worked great for me

HighwayAssassins said:
EDIT: Actually ignore that, thoes discs do NOT come with the refurbish.
newegg usually gives you everything you see even though it is a refurbished card. they just say that it doesn't because tehre's the chance that it really doesn't, not likely though

Wesley1357 said:
...maybe!?!!

No. The 6800 has the more up to date / future looking feature list.

Refurbs are cool as long as you get the full warranty of a new product.

That being said. I would buy the one with the quieter fan. The x800xl may not have sm 3.0, but it also doesn't have shimmering textures.

-dB <- the guy who sent back his monster overclocking 6800gt and kept his x800 pro, all because the fan made less noise... Of course he then ripped that sucker apart and slapped a water block on it.

So if they didn't do a good job of testing it and sent me a bad version, I could return it and get another one right?

Also, if just looking at bang for buck, 6800GT would be the better deal too because it's more overclockable? Will it heat up significantly?

wahoyaho said:
So if they didn't do a good job of testing it and sent me a bad version, I could return it and get another one right?

Also, if just looking at bang for buck, 6800GT would be the better deal too because it's more overclockable? Will it heat up significantly?

You'll need to read the refurb return agreement VERY carefully. They do not do RMA's, but I believe they do straight swaps.

The 6800 is the better card, and the better deal if it works. If you're not familiar with oc'ing, I don't recommend that you do anything to it. I think you'll be impressed with it enough out of the box.

If you oc it, yes you will see it heat up, more than likely. You should have a new cooling solution in mind.

Forget refurbs and buy an eVga or BFG with the lifetime warranties. As far as 6800GT vs Ultra scores, there's very little difference, 1 to 5 fps, unless you're gaming at the highest resolutions. http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/3211_3406871__3
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/3211_3406871__7

If you can afford an LCD with 1600x1200 native resolution then you can afford the best video card.

I just had my HSI 9800Pro die on me after 14 months (1 year warranty.) Meanwhile my Leadtek GF3 just keeps right on ticking. So I settled on an eVga 6800GT. I game at 1024x768 or 1280x1024. I settled on the $300 eVga after failling to find the BFG 6800GT OC for under $350. After reading the PNY reviews, their high prices and 3 year warranty turned me off.

Back