Would You Switch To This i5?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I just built a new PC Nov. 2013. The CPU in the system is a AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz 8 core processor and just wanted a nice performance rig that could handle BF:4 which it does perfectly!

However I came across a dead PC w/ a perfectly working Intel i5 2500K (Costa Rica) CPU. I've never used an i3/5/7 on a custom built PC so my question is, is it worth replacing my board, RAM, and CPU in favor of using this i5 CPU?

Current CPU

Current Mobo

What do you guys think? Should I grab a decent mobo / RAM for the i5 in place of my current AMD system to get better performance or do you think my current AMD system is equally as powerful when I grab 16 GB's of DDR3 and a quality board?

What do you plan to do with the pc? Do you plan to overclock?

Will you be using many programs w > 4 threads?

I wouldn't replace everything. Just sell the chip for $150 shipped or so and enjoy the extra $150 in your pocket.

A 8350 will most likely be slightly better then a 2500K. In BF4, the 8350 will be quite a bit better. A 3570K and 8350 are very similar, and a 4670K is slightly better, and the 2500K is worse then all those.

Thanks all. No overclocking what so ever. Just use it for creating VM's in VirtualBox when I am bored and need to test stuff in Linux and basically play anything on Steam / BF:4.

I do however have a R9 280 currently which is fairly sufficient for gaming right now...

does the cpu work you said the system was dead...

Yeah - when I say the system was dead, I meant: the Seagate drive attached to the system took a shit. Dropped a SSD to it and loaded Debian Linux on there fine. Ran some VM's and database intensive work on the drive and CPU w/o any issues. Bad choice of words.

Your AMD cpu will benefit from Mantle in the long run being that you play BF4. I would skip the 2500 all together.

Thank you!

essentially if your game supports it then it takes the cpu out of the equasion a bit more than with out it the numbers and support is not fantastic yet but give it a final driver version and maybe a few revisions after that we will see huge gains over the current numbers we are seeing from hsa and mantle my estimate is the final version of the driver will be 30-50% faster than current and they may squeeze some more out with each revision probably 15-25% more after each revision but on a game by game basis.

If you don't overclock then keep your CPU. Note that a 2500k can easily reach 4.5 ghz with little effort.

BTW do you only have the CPU? If you also have the MB, then you can use the DDR3 memory you have now.

Back