WOW accounts, what happens after the BETA ends?

Evil Scooter

[H]F Junkie
Well I have not read enough obviously, me = lazy. But what happens to the accounts when the BETA ends? Will there be an option to simply pay and continue playing with their current characters? Or will everybody have to buy a retail copy and start from scratch?

they are still "deciding" AFAIK

my best guess...they are gonna wipe them. the reason they haven't just come out and said so...because then nobody would play the beta/stress test which would defeat the purpose

Blizzard has yet to make a formal statement reguarding this. Odds are, they will wipe the players, all in good MMORPG fashion.

If anything (and this is a far stretch), they keep the beta accounts for the PvE servers, and would have to (obviously) delete any and all PvP characters.

We shall see!

I'm not even sure I'ma gunna buy it at all, $50 retail and $180 a year to play? It's quite a grind to lvl and IMHO it does not look that good. I'll play it as long as it is free and HL2 is not out yet. :) I don't have any characters over lvl14 anyway.

Evil Scooter said:
I'm not even sure I'ma gunna buy it at all, $50 retail and $180 a year to play? It's quite a grind to lvl and IMHO it does not look that good. I'll play it as long as it is free and HL2 is not out yet. :) I don't have any characters over lvl14 anyway.
Yeah... I'm kinda disappointed with the $15 a month they have decided upon for the monthly fee. I'll probably buy it if there is a significant discount for buying a year or half a year.

Also, I think the game looks great. I've only played as a human so far, but I've gotten up to level 21 and travelled pretty far. Levelling up isn't very hard if you are constantly getting quests. I never feel that I am grinding. However, the only other MMORPG I've ever played was SW Galaxies, so my perspective on grinding might be a little wacked.

I would say wipe, the fan base is there to make you start over...

If they were going to let you keep your toons for launch there would have been a lot bigger push for open beta and preorders

Most people playing the beta want a wipe too... I mean, the Closed Beta and stress test characters are MILES ahead in XP... I would like it it they set a cutoff point for chars lvls... because having the game START with people being at LVL 60 is kinda annoying...

the previous stress tests have already been wiped
the closed beta will also most likely be wiped
since I just got into the open beta last weekend, i see no further reason to play with the retail coming up soon...most likely everything will get wiped

open beta just opened up a few weeks ago...and if even some people are a little ahead, it will reduce over-population in the n00b areas

im all for keeping the open beta, it will much more likely lead people into getting the game

why are people so worried about the monthly fee? its not anything new...

and ya id have to agree it will be wiped, if they do decide to keep any characters from open beta, on a limb, it would probably be from those that have ordered the collectors edition

why are people so worried about the monthly fee? its not anything new...

I'm not really "worried" per say. It just seems llike a lot of mo-nay, year 1 cost = $230. Then $180 a year at least from there on unless you buy the annual package which is slightly less.

I'm 99% certain they will wipe the db so all start on the same base when the game is officially released. It was always the case even with Diablo2 beta/stresstest.

Evil Scooter said:
I'm not really "worried" per say. It just seems llike a lot of mo-nay, year 1 cost = $230. Then $180 a year at least from there on unless you buy the annual package which is slightly less.

alright but consider this, usually with a mmorpg it will take up most of your time and most people will probably play that more than any other game, so in that case, if you're paying 15 bucks a month instead of 50 bucks for a new game every month or two, you might be saving money, all depends on your playing habits and buying habits i guess

in any event though, you get new content with the game, so its not like your 15 bucks a month is just an added tick onto the 50 it already costs

Evil Scooter said:
Well I have not read enough obviously, me = lazy. But what happens to the accounts when the BETA ends? Will there be an option to simply pay and continue playing with their current characters? Or will everybody have to buy a retail copy and start from scratch?

world ends

An arguement that I have come to agree with in terms of the monthly fee is this...you pay more than $15 a month if you go to the movies one time a month. That's ~2 hours of enjoyment, or disappointment in most movie's cases...I get 30 days of enjoyment for the same price.

Sounds like a winner to me...;)

QHalo said:
An arguement that I have come to agree with in terms of the monthly fee is this...you pay more than $15 a month if you go to the movies one time a month. That's ~2 hours of enjoyment, or disappointment in most movie's cases...I get 30 days of enjoyment for the same price.

Sounds like a winner to me...;)
What kind of movies do you go to that cost over $15? The entertainment time per dollar argument is the ultimate argument, you're getting a lot for your money. If you can't afford $15 a month, then don't play, but don't say "it's not worth it" or "you can't justify it."

dudewth said:
What kind of movies do you go to that cost over $15? The entertainment time per dollar argument is the ultimate argument, you're getting a lot for your money. If you can't afford $15 a month, then don't play, but don't say "it's not worth it" or "you can't justify it."
It's called a girlfriend...that's why it's $15 a pop. :p

QHalo said:
It's called a girlfriend...that's why it's $15 a pop. :p
If you're spending time with someone else, then it's worth far more than 2 hours of entertainment. I mean you get all the time later to talk about how good or bad the movie was, plus you are obviously not just going to the movie and then going your seperate ways. So that $15 is worth more than you made it out to be. :p

If they didn't wipe, they'd lose more money than if they do. People will stay longer, try out other classes, races or professions. That's how it goes in an MMO. If you have people already at or half-way to End-Game at Release - it's not a financially sound thing to leave them there. Plus 95% of the people who have played any MMO's before WoW know that a wipe is inevitable.

dudewth said:
If you're spending time with someone else, then it's worth far more than 2 hours of entertainment. I mean you get all the time later to talk about how good or bad the movie was, plus you are obviously not just going to the movie and then going your seperate ways. So that $15 is worth more than you made it out to be. :p
:( :(

Back