WoW cpu

Huan

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm planning to build the wife her new computer now that WoW is about to release their expansion and the current major patch slowed down her current rig by alot..

Is either intel or amd have any perticular advantage over each other for this game? The only other things she does worth mentioning with this rig is some home video editing (nothing fancy) and picture printing

I'm thinking i'll go with a quadcore of some sort. I'm just wondering if anyone has any input/experience with the two cpus. Without getting into a hard core which is better debate :) Facts is all i'm interested in!!!

If the only game she plays is WoW, you could probably get by with an AMD Phenom II x4 955 and a 5770 for DX11 water and do a budget build. An i5 760 setup would perform significantly better but the Phenom will suffice for WoW.

I am wanting to give it more of a boost just to kinda help future proof it a little. The new water graphics are neat in wow,but I can tell a difference even with my laptop. Though the latest nvidia drivers seemed to help some.. Looks prettier anyways

I am wanting to give it more of a boost just to kinda help future proof it a little. The new water graphics are neat in wow,but I can tell a difference even with my laptop. Though the latest nvidia drivers seemed to help some.. Looks prettier anyways

Pick up an i5 750/760 and an aftermarket cooler, they will overclock nicely. Sandy Bridge comes out soon though.

I have an AMD PII X4 965 with a 5770 and this recent patch has bogged my computer down a bit. Before the patch my computer ran everything without breaking a sweat. Everyone is having issues with the patch. It will take a few more weeks before the game stabilizes a bit.

I am also looking to build my wife a new computer for the upcoming expansion and was considering going the i5 route but overall the AMD PII's provide more bang for the buck. Also the difference in price of the CPU/Mobo's would give a little more room for a SSD in the AMD build. I am still trying to find more info to support the effects of the SSD (especially in gameplay with WoW) before I make the move into that area.

I say give it a couple more weeks to see how the game stabilizes, plus in that time the new graphics cards should be out which will effect the prices on the current cards available.

I have an AMD PII X4 965 with a 5770 and this recent patch has bogged my computer down a bit. Before the patch my computer ran everything without breaking a sweat. Everyone is having issues with the patch. It will take a few more weeks before the game stabilizes a bit.

I am also looking to build my wife a new computer for the upcoming expansion and was considering going the i5 route but overall the AMD PII's provide more bang for the buck. Also the difference in price of the CPU/Mobo's would give a little more room for a SSD in the AMD build. I am still trying to find more info to support the effects of the SSD (especially in gameplay with WoW) before I make the move into that area.

I say give it a couple more weeks to see how the game stabilizes, plus in that time the new graphics cards should be out which will effect the prices on the current cards available.

An SSD should just make load times faster, generally that isn't an issue from my experiences in WoW. That money could be better spent towards a new GPU.

If you want best bang for the buck, the AMD Phenom II 955 is king here.
If you want the most performance possible for a reasonable price, then the Intel Core i5 750 is king here.

Also note that even at stock speeds the Intel Core i5 750 outperforms the Phenom II 955. So once you start overclocking, clock for clock, the Intel Core i5 750 is gonna definitely gonna beat the Phenom II 955.

So if you can afford the Core i5 750 and the other parts you may want, go Core i5 750. If you're on a more limited budget, the Phenom II 955 will suffice.

If you want best bang for the buck, the AMD Phenom II 955 is king here.
If you want the most performance possible for a reasonable price, then the Intel Core i5 750 is king here.

Also note that even at stock speeds the Intel Core i5 750 outperforms the Phenom II 955. So once you start overclocking, clock for clock, the Intel Core i5 750 is gonna definitely gonna beat the Phenom II 955.

So if you can afford the Core i5 750 and the other parts you may want, go Core i5 750. If you're on a more limited budget, the Phenom II 955 will suffice.

I wish I would have bought the i5 750 over my 955 x4. Unless you absolutely can't put out the little bit extra then the 955 is good but when I built my pc (5 months ago) it was only about $100 to $150 more for the i5 750 and that difference is still shrinking (the i5 760 is only about $15 more if you want 200mhz more if you are not going to oc).

Also I would get a gtx 460 768mb over the 5770 suggested earlier, they can be had around $150 on sale. Will perform alot better than 5770.

Edit: just checked newegg. You can get a decent 955 mobo combo for $244 (you could probably get a cheaper mobo, was a quick combo I saw) and a decent I5 760 combo for $290. Only $56 more I would definitely go the i5.

Last edited:
Edited. I used the wrong video card in my Thread. My Fault

Last edited:
thats kind of funny not to hijack this thread or anything but I asked a question in the Video card area and I was told by many that the 5770 will out perform the gtx 460 & you say different.
I think you're a little confused there buddy. This is your thread right?:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1555335

You listed the GTX 430, not the GTX 460, in your OP. Did you mean GTX 460? All the people that explicitly recommended the HD 5770 were going off the GTX 430 and HD 5770. Everyone in that thread probably assumed that you meant the GT 430 as there is no such thing as the GTX 430. In addition, No one in that thread actually said that the HD 5770 will outperform the GTX 460. Finally most of the posts expressed doubt about the HD 5770 and 1920x1080.

As has been said a Phenom II or Core i5 will do you just fine. The problem is that it seems like the performance issues people are having since patch 4.0.1 are due to bugs and shitty implementation rather than hardware being too slow. There are quite a few folks with i7 machines bitching about horrid frame rate as well. Assuming it is a problem with the game itself, it won't matter how much power you throw at it, it will still run like crap.

Her computer was already on the downslide of performance. The new patch was just another nail in the coffen . She is long due anyways.. I build her rig in either 03, or 04.. She deserves the upgrade :)

I was contemplating the whole SSD drive for a faster boot time and general function responsiveness. But i'm not sure if the cost for one is worth it for the performance.. Granted, I do hate waiting for a machine to boot up though :)

I like these suggestions, it gives me something to work with!!

Her computer was already on the downslide of performance. The new patch was just another nail in the coffen . She is long due anyways.. I build her rig in either 03, or 04.. She deserves the upgrade :)

I was contemplating the whole SSD drive for a faster boot time and general function responsiveness. But i'm not sure if the cost for one is worth it for the performance.. Granted, I do hate waiting for a machine to boot up though :)

I like these suggestions, it gives me something to work with!!

Oh its worth it. A ssd is the single best upgrade I have ever done.

If you can afford the SSD without sacrificing quality or too much performance, then i recommend getting a SSD. Intel's SSDs and OCZ's Vertex 2 SSDs are the more popular choices.

If the only game she plays is WoW, you could probably get by with an AMD Phenom II x4 955 and a 5770 for DX11 water and do a budget build. An i5 760 setup would perform significantly better but the Phenom will suffice for WoW.
I don't think that's good advice at all. WoW's recommended (note, not minimal) CPU is a dual core. So not only clock for clock is Intel faster, but WoW won't use a quad.

I'd personally recommend a fast core i5 dual core on an H55 motherboard for a nice budget build. Toss in 2 GB of ram, a decent GPU and run XP or 7 32 bit, and you'll do great.

I don't think that's good advice at all. WoW's recommended (note, not minimal) CPU is a dual core. So not only clock for clock is Intel faster, but WoW won't use a quad.

I'd personally recommend a fast core i5 dual core for a nice budget build.
The latest iteration of WOW has become multi-threaded according to what I've been seeing. In addition, many WOW players don't just play the game itself. Like many MMORPG players, many WOW players have vent, multiple browsers, or basically any app that'll help them play the game better. So even if I'm wrong about WOW's multi-thread performance, the extra cores will still help out. More than likely the WOW requirements you're seeing are old requirements.

Also, the Core i5 6xx series CPUs are horribly overpriced, regardless of the onboard GPU or faster clock for clock performance. The cheapest Core i5 6xxx series CPU, the Core i5 650, is $180, $40 more than the AMD Phenom II 955 CPU and only $15 cheaper than the Core i5 750.

Danny is right about WoW running on 3 cores. The minimum requirements and recommended requirements list no more than 2 but it has been optimized to run on more cores with the recent releases. Plus a good deal of WoW players have apps running in the background that would eat up resources whether it is Vent or simply iTunes.

Back