Wow gotta hand it to vista..

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
Well today a bunch of hardcore storms from the northeast pounded Georgia and knocked out my power a few times ..causing my comp to go haywire ( I know .. i need a UPS right now) and because of the black out , my hard drive corrupted and Vista told me it was missing a key boot file in the MBR to boot my OS . Frustrated I pondered if i should just reformat or find a solution online (normaly figuring out which file in XP was corrupted was such as hassle I just gave up and reinstalled) but .. I noticed at the top there was a sentence saying I should just pop in my vista disc and restart and use the repair feature .

So I pop'd in my disc and restarted. Thinking this would be another failed process, I waited as the basic lang selection option came up and pressed next. Then afterwords I selected the repair feature ..and watched it scan and auto fix my issue by replacing the corrupt boot file in less than 15 seconds!

To say the least I'm impressed. Vista may have its share of faults but these kind of small features really add that extra unexpected smile right when I needed it.

Not as easily or automagically as Vista does, however. Takes some more manual effort on the XP part whereas Vista is basically point and fix, most of the time. I've had a few instances where it doesn't resolve the boot issue(s) that the system was having, but I was able to fix it anyway.

But it's a far sight better than the XP methodology, and a definite step in the right direction.

Xp does this...

Yeah ...no it doesnt. It *sometimes* will offer you a brief discription of which file is corrupt but most of the time doesnt, so you are left to use DOS commands to sift through your boot drive and just try to use the old DOS commands to get anything done on the MBF ..you will learn frustration.

Godmachine, maybe you should think about his post again, in the context of the OP. He was saying "XP does this" as in XP can also do a system repair using its install disk. You put the disk in and hit F2 for automated system restore...

Godmachine, maybe you should think about his post again, in the context of the OP. He was saying "XP does this" as in XP can also do a system repair using its install disk. You put the disk in and hit F2 for automated system restore...

It rarely works in XP though.... you have to drop to the recovery console and fix it manually most of the time.

I'm not saying xp doesnt do this , I am however saying that it does it poorly and with alot of hunting and guessing. I was merely commenting on the streamlined process vista offers. Also I was trying to offer a positive statement on vista since there seems to be alot of negitive ones.

XP can fix it with a repair install or with the other repair features, but I've never seen it do anything in 15 seconds.

well on my main rig i put vista and today i get this boot loader thing i put the disk in to repair and says that i cant repair because there is to many removable drives. Well, guess what there aren't any then I figure out it is my raid and if i pull the second drive I' m screwed. format I go. O, well glad it worked for you. only wish it could have done the same for me.

well on my main rig i put vista and today i get this boot loader thing i put the disk in to repair and says that i cant repair because there is to many removable drives. Well, guess what there aren't any then I figure out it is my raid and if i pull the second drive I' m screwed. format I go. O, well glad it worked for you. only wish it could have done the same for me.

You might need to load the RAID drivers?

Back