WoW. No, seriously, wow!

valkyre

Limp Gawd
wowlag8ow.jpg

Doom 3 on a 14.4k, eat your heart out. :eek:

Methinks it's time for a massive server upgrade for Blizzard. :D

WickedAngel said:
I'm surprised that they didn't anticipate this kind of stress to their servers.
Especially with the beta stress test that proved their servers couldn't handle the load even then.

Even on a server labeled "high" population, I've yet to see latency above 400ms, normally under 150. I don't think it's a game-wide problem.

lomn75 said:
Even on a server labeled "high" population, I've yet to see latency above 400ms, normally under 150. I don't think it's a game-wide problem.

I SEE my ping as 67ms... doesn't mean I'm exempt from taking 30 seconds to loot stuff :eek:

lomn75 said:
No. Check their forums. Bombarded with tons of lag issues and frequent disconnects. This is a game-wide problem.

valkyre said:
No. Check their forums. Bombarded with tons of lag issues and frequent disconnects. This is a game-wide problem.
How does "some vocal people" equate to "game-wide"? That doesn't follow. I'm more inclined to think PA's analysis is correct -- there are about 6 drastically overpopulated servers. Maybe it's Blizzard's fault for allowing new players on them, but at the same time, it's nice not to be told "you can't play with your friends -- screw you." Maybe at some level it's the players' fault for continuing to register on a high-population server. Maybe it's an unavoidable problem.

I think it's an interesting problem from an engineering standpoint, but I really don't see how you assign blame. At some point, Blizzard can't be held responsible for not being able to provide infinite resources (certainly not if they expect to follow a business plan), and it seems that a lot of the realms are just fine.

For a monthly fee of 15 dollars a month there should be ZERO lag. Period. I know its unavoidable but thats the way it should be and Blizzard will always get the blame as they should. Its their fault.

Vildayyan2003 said:
For a monthly fee of 15 dollars a month there should be ZERO lag. Period. I know its unavoidable but thats the way it should be and Blizzard will always get the blame as they should. Its their fault.
With Santa and his Elves using their Magic Server Dust to prevent maintenance downtime? Sure. It's a nice thought, but reality doesn't work that way.

lomn75 said:
With Santa and his Elves using their Magic Server Dust to prevent maintenance downtime? Sure. It's a nice thought, but reality doesn't work that way.

But.... Wouldn't it be cool if thats the way it really worked?! :D Heh, yeah and I'm getting broadband out in the sticks withen the next five years LMFGDAO!!!!

lomn75 said:
At some point, Blizzard can't be held responsible for not being able to provide infinite resources (certainly not if they expect to follow a business plan

I'm waiting for the European release of WoW and I don't like reading all this talk of high latency and server issues, but if it IS game-wide, it is Blizzard's fault. Their business plan should be for increasing profits for every person paying $15 per month, rather than decreasing profits as your interpretation of their business plan would suggest. They should be rolling in spare cash to increase bandwidth given the number of players.

lomn75 said:
How does "some vocal people" equate to "game-wide"? That doesn't follow. I'm more inclined to think PA's analysis is correct -- there are about 6 drastically overpopulated servers. Maybe it's Blizzard's fault for allowing new players on them, but at the same time, it's nice not to be told "you can't play with your friends -- screw you." Maybe at some level it's the players' fault for continuing to register on a high-population server. Maybe it's an unavoidable problem.

I think it's an interesting problem from an engineering standpoint, but I really don't see how you assign blame. At some point, Blizzard can't be held responsible for not being able to provide infinite resources (certainly not if they expect to follow a business plan), and it seems that a lot of the realms are just fine.
There are rampant lag problem even on medium population servers.

its game wide.

im on a medium pop server, and they had to implement queues to prevent constant crashing and lagging, they overestimated how many people a server could realistically support...despite closed and open betas.

hopefully they will write some checks and get more servers...we will see

Another chime in: It is game wide. They did a "massive upgrade" last thursday, but since then the servers have been even more unstable.

They are trying, can't fault them for that. You can nail them for lack of communication however. When they implemented queues this last weekend, they didn't tell anybody. So you went from being able to log right in to sitting in a queue for an hour+ just to play on the server you normally do.

Well, other people would. I'd go find a book. ;)

It is game wide. Even with servers like the one I now play on Eonar .. low population ... with a crappy name so no one plays on it, there are still problems. Random crashes are a new thing which never happened before and Ironforge is only getting worse. And stormwind is starting to turn into "new ironforge" ... and if they add AH to stormwind ... well its just gonna suck.

I've never experienced a queue on my server, yet the lag spikes are becoming increasingly frequent and annoying. Weird thing is, they don't register on the "ping meter", which makes me think that it doesn't really do anything related to what it's supposed to do.

Last night they caused me two deaths. I can only imagine how bad they are on loaded servers.

bizzz111 said:
I've never experienced a queue on my server, yet the lag spikes are becoming increasingly frequent and annoying. Weird thing is, they don't register on the "ping meter", which makes me think that it doesn't really do anything related to what it's supposed to do.

Last night they caused me two deaths. I can only imagine how bad they are on loaded servers.

Im going to have to agree with you about the lag meter. It reminds me of the server status page which is never accurate.

lomn75 said:

Get out of your denial man. This IS Blizzard's fault, period. People aren't expecting infinite resources. They are expecting to be able to play the damn game they are currently paying for. They are expecting not to have to wait in line for 30 minutes to get on the server. They are expecting that when you loot something, you don't have to wait a minute. They are expecting to be able to safely go through instances and other heavily populated zones and not have to fear being disconnected and dying when they get back. They are expecting that at 7pm on a sunday night, the servers will be up. If this was SOE, you would be up in arms. However, it is blizzard and now its the fault of the customers. Whatever.

obs said:
Get out of your denial man. This IS Blizzard's fault, period. People aren't expecting infinite resources. They are expecting to be able to play the damn game they are currently paying for. They are expecting not to have to wait in line for 30 minutes to get on the server. They are expecting that when you loot something, you don't have to wait a minute. They are expecting to be able to safely go through instances and other heavily populated zones and not have to fear being disconnected and dying when they get back. They are expecting that at 7pm on a sunday night, the servers will be up. If this was SOE, you would be up in arms. However, it is blizzard and now its the fault of the customers. Whatever.
Hey, I'm just going on the limited experience I've had. My high-pop server has experienced none of these problems. If med-pop servers are chugging unbearably, then sure -- that's Blizzard's problem, no question. However, until this last round of responses, there was zero evidence towards that which I had seen.

That's not denial. That's called "not jumping to bad conclusions."

I have had no probs on my high-pop server, either. I created another char on another high pop server, and the lag was noticable on that one, though I expect it might just be because it was during peak hours and a lot of other servers were closed at the time. I've only had to quit because of lag twice since December, and the Ironforge AH has crashed me twice as well. All in all, I'm just enoying the game ^_^

lomn75 said:
Hey, I'm just going on the limited experience I've had. My high-pop server has experienced none of these problems. If med-pop servers are chugging unbearably, then sure -- that's Blizzard's problem, no question. However, until this last round of responses, there was zero evidence towards that which I had seen.

That's not denial. That's called "not jumping to bad conclusions."
Yea, Blizzard is giving out 2 days free to everyone because there are no serious problems.

obs said:
Yea, Blizzard is giving out 2 days free to everyone because there are no serious problems.

I personally would rather Blizzard keep the 2 free days .... so lets do the math

14.99 (monthly cost) / 30 (days per month) = approx 50 cents

So lets see 2 free days = 1 USD

so 1 USD x 600,000 users (Number of Users on WoW)

600,000 USD. I think this would go a long way to fix server problems .... like buy new servers. But then again Vivendi no doubt swoops down like the angels of death they are and skims about 75% off the top.

I have had very few issues with the game and I'm on Hellscream which is a high server pop. Loot lag on occasion and I mean very rarely, but the most I've had trouble with is the mail system. When there's 20 people standing at the mailbox, what's so difficult about coming back at a later time and using the mail system? Other than that no complaints about anything else.

I can't stand that people complain about not being able to play with their friends when there are 88 realms to choose from. That's just being obstinate.

You should know by now that if a server is highly popular that you're probably not going to get on it and you should just get over that. How is it Blizzard's fault that they reached their limit on that realm? Do people really expect infinite players on one server?

It could just be a problem with their bandwidth, rather than the server capacity. If you lag, and you suddenly die from full health. Then obviously, the server is working fine since the monsters are ok :p

High profile servers (especially MMORPGs) are extremely prone to DoS attacks. Even if there's only 1,000 players actually logged in, they could still be getting flooded by 500,000 nuisance connections.

obs said:
read the damn thread, no where does it state that they were giving away 2 free days but on their site. Iomn75 stated that there was no evidence in any of the responses here on this forum. That doesn't mean they read the front page of www.worldofwarcraft.com and in no way negates that they were basing the conclusions on posts from this thread.

IRT Steel Chicken

I read through that link and I have to say I was unimpressed with the information from Blizzard. They made one post on what they knew was the biggest issue surrounding the game, got 7 pages of responses asking for more information, but they haven't bothered replying. Their communication strikes me as being a bit shit to be honest, though I don't spend a lot of time on the WoW forums.

QHalo said:
read the damn thread, no where does it state that they were giving away 2 free days but on their site. Iomn75 stated that there was no evidence in any of the responses here on this forum. That doesn't mean they read the front page of www.worldofwarcraft.com and in no way negates that they were basing the conclusions on posts from this thread.

Easy big fella

QHalo said:
Trust me, I rewrote that post about 5 times...that's as tame as I could keep it.

HAHHA no worries. Im a bigger jackass, asshat then most.
I just wanted to say that because I was watching Seinfeld last night and there was an inccident with george getting a little to upset and Jerry said it to him =)

SERENITY NOW!

bonkrowave said:
HAHHA no worries. Im a bigger jackass, asshat then most.
I just wanted to say that because I was watching Seinfeld last night and there was an inccident with george getting a little to upset and Jerry said it to him =)
Who is this...? my favorite Seinfeld line.

QHalo said:
Thanks.

I'd also point out that "2 free days" in no way implies a game-wide continuing problem. They could say "well, we kicked everybody off for 20 hours last week, let's give them 2 days" yet the problems be resolved.

"My med-pop server is laggy" -- Good evidence. Better would be if we listed specific realms, but this is good.
"My (unspecified) server is laggy" -- Bad evidence. You being on one of the highest-trafficked servers is the logical assumption, and at some point, Blizzard can't both leave the realm open and guarantee performance.

So, to that end:
I play on Whisperwind, high-pop PvE. I have experienced none of the lag issues mentioned, including during peak hours right after the last server downtime.

lomn75 said:
So, to that end:
I play on Whisperwind, high-pop PvE. I have experienced none of the lag issues mentioned, including during peak hours right after the last server downtime.

Well ... thats great that you have experienced none of the problems people talk about. But that doesn't mean these problems do not exist. There is ample evidence in this thread and the many threads on the WoW message boards which indicate there are problems.

My main problem with the threads on WoW is that people look to their own situation and somehow deem it to mean everyone else has the same experience as them, and then try to derail anyone who is having problems in true fan boy fashion.

bonkrowave said:
Well ... thats great that you have experienced none of the problems people talk about. But that doesn't mean these problems do not exist. There is ample evidence in this thread and the many threads on the WoW message boards which indicate there are problems.

My main problem with the threads on WoW is that people look to their own situation and somehow deem it to mean everyone else has the same experience as them, and then try to derail anyone who is having problems in true fan boy fashion.

Dude, if you posted like this all the time over there, you never would have been banned. Eloquent, to the point, and without flames.

:p

Steel Chicken said:
Dude, if you posted like this all the time over there, you never would have been banned. Eloquent, to the point, and without flames.

:p

Yes but this board here has many less fan boyz who constantly flame you even if you have a valid point. I can post nice and concise ... but when all I get for responces are IBTL, or flamming fan boyz ... well ... lets just say ... I dont have the longest fuse.

I drop down to their level (no ones fault but my own) and in the end am beaten by their much greater experience.

To be honest I still scan the WoW boards. But I dont miss it. All I see on there now is the same nerf this BS and anyone who is frustrated and creates a decent post is flammed beyond recognition.

At least here people will actually read you post, and have a half open mind, instead of reacting to some word when scanning your post and inserting their default cut and paste flame post.

lomn75 said:

They stopped making the game a month after it's release because their servers are too overloaded.

Let me repeat, they stopped making the game because their servers are overloaded.

I imagine SOE is having a constant chuckle.

And I'm glad I went with the rival game.

Badger_sly said:
I imagine SOE is having a constant chuckle.

And I'm glad I went with the rival game.

Sorry I don't have a source for this, but its reputable where I got it (private message board)

Lineage 2,400,000
Ragnarok Online 2,000,000
Lineage II 1,500,000
Final Fantasy XI 600,000
World of Warcraft 440,000
Everquest 430,000*
EverQuest II 300,000

Star Wars Galaxies 275,000*
Dark Ages Of Camelot 245,000*
RuneScape 200,000
Ultima Online 165,000*
City of Heroes 163,000*
Eve Online 53,000
PlanetSide 50,000
Asheron's Call 40,000
EverQuest: Online Adventures 40,000
The Sim's Online 40,000
Anarchy Online 33,000
Shadowbane 20,000
Second Life 17,000
Asheron's Call 2 15,000
Horizons 13,000
World War II Online 13,000
Mankind 10,000
Puzzle Pirates 9,000
The Realm Online 5,000
A Tale In the Desert 2,000
*=Indicates that subscription numbers may be lower due to EQ2 and WOW. These games have been hit the hardest.

Sony may be laughing, but honestly, EVERY message board related to gaming that I visit (this one included) has about a dozen WoW posts, and almost NO EQ2 posts. Wow is obviously doing MUCH better than EQ2. At least from my point of view.

valkyre said:
They stopped making the game a month after it's release because their servers are too overloaded.

Let me repeat, they stopped making the game because their servers are overloaded.
Could you repeat that?

Back