ok, i am thinking if getting WoW, but i have dialup
its decent... but still dialup
now how much is it a month to play??
and is it worth with Dialup at all :confused:

i dont think its worth it, instead of the 15 permonth of WOW get cable or DSL

Clax said:
i dont think its worth it, instead of the 15 permonth of WOW get cable or DSL

Some of us can't get either still.

I played WoW on 56k and it was fine. The only lag you'll get is in really really crowded pvp and in Ironforge, but Ironforge is laggy for almost anyone because of it's size + crowd.

But normally out and about in the wilderness and with your groups and such which make up a "lot" of the time playing you'll be fine.

Though later on with a raid quest it might be a bit laggy too.

lol...If I had the choice between WoW and dsl/cable...I would jump to cable/dsl like no man has jumped before!!! sick of 56k...aren't u guys too? hehe

put it this way...56k+WoW=unpleasant time cable/dsl=pleasnt time with eevrything else :)

aZn_plyR said:
lol...If I had the choice between WoW and dsl/cable...I would jump to cable/dsl like no man has jumped before!!! sick of 56k...aren't u guys too? hehe

put it this way...56k+WoW=unpleasant time cable/dsl=pleasnt time with eevrything else :)
Nope live in BFE only have dialup :(

Dont bother playing any of todays online games using dialup. The outcome will be very disapointing. Save the $50 dollars you would have spent on WoW and put it towards a Dsl or Cable connection.

he already said he can't get anything but dail up.

my only suggestion is... move :p

jk

Well, honestly, people on dsl are having problems playing WoW right now. Their servers are so screwed up that most of us cant play when we want. This week alone my server (elune) has been down/crashed every day this week, even right now, when i have a few min to play between writing paper for class, i cant play.

If you want to see whats going on in WoW before you start playing goto, www.worldofwarcraft.com and check the realm forums before you decide. There are hundereds of peeps canceling accounts a day. I am close myself. I love the game, but if i cant play it, how can i enjoy it?

DandyBear said:
Dont bother playing any of todays online games using dialup. The outcome will be very disapointing. Save the $50 dollars you would have spent on WoW and put it towards a Dsl or Cable connection.

That is excellent advice.

Meanwhile on my 1337 31.2k connection i've played:

EQ2
WoW
Swat 4
Ut2k4/red orchestra
+ many other newer games online.

It's not hard, and it isn't unbearable, just in some you have to realize you can't play in a 32+ people server and should stick to smaller ones.

WoW is actually built to run just fine on dialup. The problem is that their servers are so fubar right now that it's causing severe problems. However it's still playable and the monsterous lag that was there a month or two ago is gone, and they're mopping up the rest of the problems. All in all, it's a very enjoyable (nice way of saying ADDICTING) game.

Stiler said:
That is excellent advice.

Meanwhile on my 1337 31.2k connection i've played:

EQ2
WoW
Swat 4
Ut2k4/red orchestra
+ many other newer games online.

It's not hard, and it isn't unbearable, just in some you have to realize you can't play in a 32+ people server and should stick to smaller ones.
Agreed I am on 56K so long as I keep the ping time relatively low and the number of people on the server small (16 or fewer).

Runs great on dial up for me. And if i could get dsl or cable dont you think i would? As for lag I get about a 10 second lag at the AH then im good. Its the people that "Hey i have a cable modem and laaaaag all the time.. wtf? lol!!!!!!1111111111111". Heres an idea. Get off the high pop servers if its that bad. low pop servers will be your friend

well you know that adivse sucks...most of us did join low pop servers and now have level 50+ characters on that server that is now not low pop.

DandyBear said:

Again look at my other post, only thing offered in my town is Dialup for another year or so

laserdemon said:
well you know that adivse sucks...most of us did join low pop servers and now have level 50+ characters on that server that is now not low pop.

QFT

Also why do paying customers have to find work around to bad servers ?

While I've never played WoW, I have played SW:G when I had dialup. Aside from the initial installation (where you will have to download possibly hundreds of megs of updates) and the weekly updates, it ran very, very well. Surprisingly well. Too bad that game was terrible. I also played Guild Wars during the E3 open beta and it ran well, though switching zones took 2-3 minutes.

Even if standard broadband offerings aren't available in your area, you may want to consider satellite. As I understand it, there are two types: one has your upstream going over dialup and your downstream coming through the satellite; another has two-way satellite. Pings won't improve but your download speeds will, which will be helpful for keeping up to date on the constant patching of MMOs.

bipolar said:
While I've never played WoW, I have played SW:G when I had dialup. Aside from the initial installation (where you will have to download possibly hundreds of megs of updates) and the weekly updates, it ran very, very well. Surprisingly well. Too bad that game was terrible. I also played Guild Wars during the E3 open beta and it ran well, though switching zones took 2-3 minutes.

Even if standard broadband offerings aren't available in your area, you may want to consider satellite. As I understand it, there are two types: one has your upstream going over dialup and your downstream coming through the satellite; another has two-way satellite. Pings won't improve but your download speeds will, which will be helpful for keeping up to date on the constant patching of MMOs.

I had D-way from Direct Tv, and it was worse than my dialup
I am waiting for Highspeed Wireless or DSL within the year....

-(Xyphox)- said:
I had D-way from Direct Tv, and it was worse than my dialup
I am waiting for Highspeed Wireless or DSL within the year....

oh lord yes, that sat stuff is really poor for gaming. unless its changed you still have to send data out via a modem to a base station. Even if it does change and you send the data directly to the sat from your house the distance for two point to space transmission kills the latency. I feel for you dude.

laserdemon said:
oh lord yes, that sat stuff is really poor for gaming. unless its changed you still have to send data out via a modem to a base station. Even if it does change and you send the data directly to the sat from your house the distance for two point to space transmission kills the latency. I feel for you dude.

Yeah it sucks big time, but i am really down SPC and Comcast's back about getting highspeed

Back