WoW player's video card

primea

Supreme [H]ardness
My Hardware runs with AMD64 3500+, 2GB RAM ... blah, blah,blah ... with a 6600GT PCI-Express card ...

I have discovered WOW, and actively playing it for a couple weeks now ... played hard for the last 10 days ...

Question is ... will a new video card provide a great jump in graphics? It is playing wonderfully now, I just want to make sure I am not missing any eyecandy.

I am using an Olevia 32inch LCD screen

Thanks for any info ...

primea said:
My Hardware runs with AMD64 3500+, 2GB RAM ... blah, blah,blah ... with a 6600GT PCI-Express card ...

I have discovered WOW, and actively playing it for a couple weeks now ... played hard for the last 10 days ...

Question is ... will a new video card provide a great jump in graphics? It is playing wonderfully now, I just want to make sure I am not missing any eyecandy.

I am using an Olevia 32inch LCD screen

Thanks for any info ...

yeah a upgrade would not hurt

But will I see a difference? I Have not upgraded in a while ... my last upgrade was the case about 3 months ago ... lol

I don't play any other game ... so I don't care about those ...

thanks

If you only play WoW, I would say a 6600GT is sufficient. Can you play with max settings at a resolution you are OK with and with decent framerates?

quit now before it consumes ur life ;) im on my 6th 60 right now..

oh and an upgrade is always nice, with the xpac supposedly they spent more time on the textures and the detail level is higher.

PWMK2 said:
If you only play WoW, I would say a 6600GT is sufficient. Can you play with max settings at a resolution you are OK with and with decent framerates?

It plays great ... I just want to make sure I'm not missing any eye candies ... don't want to spend $200 just to find out it does not look different ...

My LCD screen maxes out at 1366x768 ... and the graphics are stunning ... but then we 'were astounded by the GeForce3 when it first came out ... I just wish I can look at another PC with newer video card to compare ...

What resolution?

If over 1280x1024 or the widescreen equivalent, then you might want something like a 7600gt or x1800 series card.

edit: ah just read your post, never mind

Boardin087 said:
quit now before it consumes ur life ;) im on my 6th 60 right now..

oh and an upgrade is always nice, with the xpac supposedly they spent more time on the textures and the detail level is higher.

hmmm ... nice info to know ... maybe I can buy from BM store and return if I'm not happy ...

I don't think there's much a new card could do for your resolution. The card you have should be able to run everything maxed at that res.

On another note, I just found WoW last week, friends got me to play and I'm really getting into it. It looks ungodly gorgeous with all the settings maxed out a 2,560x1600!!! Gotta show love for my Night Elf Warrior.

A 6600GT is fine at Max Settings, but it can lag if you get in huge pvp battles, atleast 40+ people in AV if everyone is casting magics. But you might also notice some lag in Molten Core, when fighting the last boss, but its not really bothersome at all.

azuldenial said:
A 6600GT is fine at Max Settings, but it can lag if you get in huge pvp battles, atleast 40+ people in AV if everyone is casting magics. But you might also notice some lag in Molten Core, when fighting the last boss, but its not really bothersome at all.

I'll make a note of that ... so far the lags I experience is when my latency goesup, w/c is very minimal ...

I am happy with it overall ... just want to make sure I am not missing any detail ...

thanks

sounds like youre in agp still.. The hoopla lately is the refurb x800xl for cheap directly from ATI.

lloose said:
sounds like youre in agp still.. The hoopla lately is the refurb x800xl for cheap directly from ATI.
He does state PCIe....

At that res stick with the 6600GT.. it is still a more than capable card. Maybe OC it a little, or maybe you have a friend with a newer GPU who may lend it to you for a couple of days ( I know I have 3 cards on loam ATM - doh!).

Personally I would forgoe the extra AA and AF that a newer card would offer unless you could get a great sale price for your card and grab a 7600gt or similar.. you would notice a difference.. a lot smoother and more AA+AF.

indeed... max out all grafix and see if u get decent framerates.. if u do just keep your current card :)

otherwise u could try a sapphire x1800GTO, around $165 in sweden

Yeah, if you max out everything and it runs fine, just keep your current card. If not, spend a little and buy a 7600 or X850XT. Oh, and play Guild Wars. Much better graphics, more fun :p

...all you WoW players, don't flame me for that last sentence

7900GT running 4xAA @ 1280x1024 (CRT) with 39 other people in Molten Core... Roughly 40FPS constant. System specs in sig...

Anywhere else by myself is 90-100 FPS (I think WoW is hard capped @ 100.)

Firebat said:
Save your money for your girlfriend. You do have a girlfriend, right? :p

Sadly, no girlfriend :(

My wife will kill me if I get one ... lol

if u gonna upgrade jus for wow.... u can forget it. 6600gt is enuff for that crappy game

if u gonna upgrade for soul of the ultimate nation..... u must!

no idea y american citizen like wow so0 much.... when u die u dont even lose exp! its not challenging... it dont make u to be extremely careful on dying. when die and lose exp is fun-ner. most korean mmorpg lose exp when die and like when u hate sum1 and pk them and their exp lose... but if no exp lose when u hate sum1 theres no point of pking them.

korean or all asian mmorpg i seems to be interest than american mmo. also korean mmo usually have hot lo0king female charecters! like lineage2! zera! soul of the ultimate nation! they all got sl*tty lo0king female in it while american mmo got ugly female... ie. everquest2 the ugliest female charecter.

NewMonster said:
if u gonna upgrade jus for wow.... u can forget it. 6600gt is enuff for that crappy game

no idea y american citizen like wow so0 much.... when u die u dont even lose exp! its not challenging... it dont make u to be extremely careful on dying. when die and lose exp is fun-ner. most korean mmorpg lose exp when die and like when u hate sum1 and pk them and their exp lose... but if no exp lose when u hate sum1 theres no point of pking them.

korean or all asian mmorpg i seems to be interest than american mmo. also korean mmo usually have hot lo0king female charecters! like lineage2! zera! soul of the ultimate nation! they all got sl*tty lo0king female in it while american mmo got ugly female... ie. everquest2 the ugliest female charecter.

C'mon ... that's not nice ... I know it's your opinion ... but what's crappy for you is a ggod game for somebody else. It is a valid game, and a valid question. This is the only game that I have installed right now, because frankly, it's the only game I have time for. In fact if not for the 10 day trial given by somebody here in the forum, I would not have tried it.

Not a hardcore gamer anymore, and don;t upgrade my hardware every 3 months, even preordering video cards ... believe me, I've played the upgrade game before, and will not hesitate to spend $500.00 for a video card if called for, hence my question here ...

Why get riled up for a game, to each his own, it's entertainment ... so lighten up ... :p

Do you lag in say Orgrimmar and Stormwind during peak hours? You should install the titan panel mod, it will show you your fps. If it dips below 30 often at your current settings, then you will definately have issues during huge BG's and end game instances. Nothing is worse than getting owned from the back and dying before you can target your enemy from lag..

This is one of the games where you want the highest resolution possible because of the extra screen real estate. More screen = extra bars = more binds/accessibility.

I want to say a 6600gt might be a little low but it seems your resolution is not too demanding either. The extra ram you have definately helps..

primea said:
C'mon ... that's not nice ... I know it's your opinion ... but what's crappy for you is a ggod game for somebody else. It is a valid game, and a valid question. This is the only game that I have installed right now, because frankly, it's the only game I have time for. In fact if not for the 10 day trial given by somebody here in the forum, I would not have tried it.

Not a hardcore gamer anymore, and don;t upgrade my hardware every 3 months, even preordering video cards ... believe me, I've played the upgrade game before, and will not hesitate to spend $500.00 for a video card if called for, hence my question here ...

Why get riled up for a game, to each his own, it's entertainment ... so lighten up ... :p

ok..........

prophetx2 said:
Do you lag in say Orgrimmar and Stormwind during peak hours? You should install the titan panel mod, it will show you your fps. If it dips below 30 often at your current settings, then you will definately have issues during huge BG's and end game instances. Nothing is worse than getting owned from the back and dying before you can target your enemy from lag..

This is one of the games where you want the highest resolution possible because of the extra screen real estate. More screen = extra bars = more binds/accessibility.

I want to say a 6600gt might be a little low but it seems your resolution is not too demanding either. The extra ram you have definately helps..

Thanks for the heads up ... will do this tonight ... I havea lot to learn ...lol

Can't believe I did not start palying this game much early, since I've been a fan of Warcraft forever ...

primea said:

LOL :D You better watch man, the game is heavily addicting. I had to stop because it became the #1 priority in my life. Very disturbing indeed.

Coolmanluke said:
LOL :D You better watch man, the game is heavily addicting. I had to stop because it became the #1 priority in my life. Very disturbing indeed.

I'm pretty much in front of the computer most of the time anyways ... my work and my hobby ... got the basement setup just for this ... lol

I took the whole last week off ... and did nothing but play this game ... when I got back to the office, my co-workers asked me where I went, and I told them I took a trip to Azeroth ... they just laughed when I explained it's an online world ...

My wife and kids knoiw that this is this is my thing, My youngest love to watch me play instances and get to battle monsters ... she's 4, and I think she likes the idea that I can kill ghosts ... lol

prophetx2 said:

Not just stormwind, try Ironforge, I avoid that place like the plague because I lag so bad in there. And yea, this game eats your life. I've only been playing for 2 months and it has become my number one priority. I think Guild Wars might be a better game though, because the graphics are nicer, its free monthly, and I love the idea of a 30 second que for PvP action in Guild Wars. WoW can have like 30 minute ques.

do you play wow in a window or full screen?

it makes a difference... because nvidia drivers have trouble with direct3d in a window.

any current generation midrage or better card will work well with wow in fullscreen.

your card is last to two generations ago, and it was only midrange then.

i play wow, and i'm currently using a 7800GTX but will be getting a 7900GTX this week.
(shameless plug, buy my 7800GTX for $300!!)...but i also play other games on occasion.

NewMonster said:
also korean mmo usually have hot lo0king female charecters! like lineage2! zera! soul of the ultimate nation! they all got sl*tty lo0king female in it while american mmo got ugly female... ie. everquest2 the ugliest female charecter.
ROFL. ROFL some more...i think american females are fugly. they got big a**es, big buttocks, big feet, big hands. that's why they are not cute, instead they are fugly! ROFL, this guy's is sooo funny.

NewMonster: if you want slutty female avatars, just check out secondlife... it's even free now.

Just sayin.

NewMonster said:

no idea y american citizen like wow so0 much....

NewMonster is just going to get banned one of these days... seriously.

at the resolution you are running and the size of the screen, I think you'd notice greatly improved graphics by enabling antialiasing. I didn't see any mention of it in your posts so I'll suggest it here. If you decide to run a lot of AA (highly recommended in WOW on that kind of screen) you'll probably need to OC or upgrade.

You could certainly live without it though. Buy B & M and return if you like.

dekard said:
at the resolution you are running and the size of the screen, I think you'd notice greatly improved graphics by enabling antialiasing. I didn't see any mention of it in your posts so I'll suggest it here. If you decide to run a lot of AA (highly recommended in WOW on that kind of screen) you'll probably need to OC or upgrade.

You could certainly live without it though. Buy B & M and return if you like.

I've got all settings at application w/ high quality, and non-overclocked ... spending most time at work these days, I don't see the added time to maintain an overclocked system worth the trouble ... must be getting old ...lol

Yashu said:
do you play wow in a window or full screen?

it makes a difference... because nvidia drivers have trouble with direct3d in a window.

any current generation midrage or better card will work well with wow in fullscreen.

your card is last to two generations ago, and it was only midrange then.

playing it in full screen ... I admit the video card is 1.5 years old ... really got it as a backup then when I was using a 6800GT w/c died ... so using this one now ...

This is actually the longest time that I have not upgraded the internals of my PC...

I am getting convinced that I need a new one ...

LOL ... I think that really is the reason for this post ... that and WoW is offline due to maintenance ...

Thanks to all that replied ...

primea said:

LOL, you just own3d me.

NewMonster said:

Learn to spell.....

Borgschulze said:
He plays MMO's... he can't learn anything related to real life.

From his post, I would assume that hes Korean too.. Lets see you spell in Korean :rolleyes:

primea said:
I'm pretty much in front of the computer most of the time anyways ... my work and my hobby ... got the basement setup just for this ... lol

I took the whole last week off ... and did nothing but play this game ... when I got back to the office, my co-workers asked me where I went, and I told them I took a trip to Azeroth ... they just laughed when I explained it's an online world ...

My wife and kids knoiw that this is this is my thing, My youngest love to watch me play instances and get to battle monsters ... she's 4, and I think she likes the idea that I can kill ghosts ... lol

Just give it a little while. Your wife will be ready to divorce you. Your kids will be 2 years older and you will wonder where the time went. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Back