Wow, there is no space! GTX 260

Jeffxsee

n00b
This may sound silly but after taking a look at the tri-sli image on nvidia.com, it seems as there are is no space for any other pci expansion slots. I can only assume that in the future we will see larger motherboards with different design layouts? If someone knows anything about this please share!

Heres an image that I saw on the nvidia site.

view.php

or go here and scroll through the gallery

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_gtx_260.html

Stop posting all this hardware pRon. :) Looks like a bunch of GPUs runnin a train on that nasty Mobo!

when you do tri-SLI or quadfire or any multi-gpu solution at that, your gonna have lack of space near that

Stop posting all this hardware pRon. :) Looks like a bunch of GPUs runnin a train on that nasty Mobo!

LoL!

Yeah, given the heat even 260s put out, I'm also a little worried about having them so close to each other if you're using air cooling.

~S

This may sound silly but after taking a look at the tri-sli image on nvidia.com, it seems as there are is no space for any other pci expansion slots. I can only assume that in the future we will see larger motherboards with different design layouts? If someone knows anything about this please share!

No, if anything, motherboards will continue to get smaller. Nvidia wanting to sell tri-SLI to a handful of people isn't going to convince the rest of the world to change form factors. Even Intel couldn't successfully push BTX for their inferno of a proc, the P4.

I think the 790i gives you an extra pci-e x1 slot for a sound card, and with 2 gbE nics onboard what else do you want? Don't quote me on the 790i though, I'm still on 780.

No, if anything, motherboards will continue to get smaller. Nvidia wanting to sell tri-SLI to a handful of people isn't going to convince the rest of the world to change form factors. Even Intel couldn't successfully push BTX for their inferno of a proc, the P4.
Yes they did, I remember seeing many OEM's migrate to it very successfully IIRC. And I think many still use it. I don't really pay much attention, but aren't just about all Dell's, HP's, etc BTX form factor?

Damn! That poor mobo! All of its slots are being fucked at the same time. I'm sure it's like "Oh God please take these out...". :eek:

At least they blow the air OUT of the case instead of back into it... *cough* 6800Ultra *cough*

Now we know why these cards are so hot! ;)

Yes they did, I remember seeing many OEM's migrate to it very successfully IIRC. And I think many still use it. I don't really pay much attention, but aren't just about all Dell's, HP's, etc BTX form factor?

My most recent Dell is mATX, and HP is advertising "ATX size computers"

Damn! That poor mobo! All of its slots are being fucked at the same time. I'm sure it's like "Oh God please take these out...". :eek:

At least they blow the air OUT of the case instead of back into it... *cough* 6800Ultra *cough*

Now we know why these cards are so hot! ;)

Just about any card nVidia made prior to the 8800's spit air back into the case. I remember in the FX days XFX made the 5800, 5900, and 5950 Ultras that would blow it out of the case. Those things were damn leaf blowers!

Dell pretty much does whatever Intel says. We use a lot of Dell and HP computers at my workplace and yes many Dells are BTX, but I haven't seen any HP BTX computers yet, and I haven't seen any aftermarket BTX motherboards either, which is about the only place Nvidia could ever hope to sell tri-SLI.

Damn! That poor mobo! All of its slots are being fucked at the same time. I'm sure it's like "Oh God please take these out...".

You know it likes it. It wants more if you could find the slots!

Dell pretty much does whatever Intel says. We use a lot of Dell and HP computers at my workplace and yes many Dells are BTX, but I haven't seen any HP BTX computers yet, and I haven't seen any aftermarket BTX motherboards either, which is about the only place Nvidia could ever hope to sell tri-SLI.

Not completely, AlienWare is owned by Dell, and they still use ATX.

The 680i has a pci-e 1x above the first pci-e 16x slot. Not sure why nvidia did away with that on the 780i boards. Havent really checked out the 790i considering the performance bump from ddr3 isnt worth the price premium.

The MSI P7N Diamond has an additional PCI 1x slot between PCI-E #1 and #2.
By the way, triple SLI with 8800 GTX/Ultra or 9800 GTX has already been a low space thing. This is not new just because of the GTX 260/280. Heat really is a problem, in triple SLI the 8800 GTX got quite hot even in idle mode.

No, if anything, motherboards will continue to get smaller. Nvidia wanting to sell tri-SLI to a handful of people isn't going to convince the rest of the world to change form factors.
It won't, but Foxconn already showcased a prototype Ultra ATX form factor quad-GPU motherboard at CES 2008 in the beginning of the year. There aren't too many cases that could accommodate it but they do exist. The motherboard trend in the future is headed in both directions, smaller and larger.

Look here for pics: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/513

It won't, but Foxconn already showcased a prototype Ultra ATX form factor quad-GPU motherboard at CES 2008 in the beginning of the year. There aren't too many cases that could accommodate it but they do exist. The motherboard trend in the future is headed in both directions, smaller and larger.

Look here for pics: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/513

Quoted from article: "But it is important to keep in mind that both products are just prototypes and Foxconn is just testing waters to see the market response for their final decision on whether they are going to actually release these products or not."

I don't see it happening, yet I am seeing more matx and smaller popping up.

Quoted from article: "But it is important to keep in mind that both products are just prototypes and Foxconn is just testing waters to see the market response for their final decision on whether they are going to actually release these products or not."

I don't see it happening, yet I am seeing more matx and smaller popping up.
I do see it happening because multi-GPU isn't going away any time soon. Both NVidia and Ati (especially the latter) have made it clear that it's the future. The cooling requirements alone nearly justify the additional room, but a lack of expansion slots practically mandates it. Moreover, the cases are already here in limited numbers, so other manufacturers also see a trend developing into a need.

Back