Wow, this is a really nice barebones. MBOX mini-review.

nigerian_businessman

[H]ard|Gawd
My mother's work computer started going apeshit about 2 weeks ago. Random reboots without the actual rebooting, it just freezes and the screen goes black. I checked software, dusted the computer out, looked at the hsf to make sure it was attached correctly and I noted that the caps were swelling. So I coaxed her into just buying a new computer since this computer is based around my oooooold as dirt socket A 1600+ processor, with 256mb of ram and a paltry 20gb hd.

Well, she said she wanted to keep it under $500. I managed to put one together for $309 shipped :) And I based it around this.

MSI MBOX K9N6SGM-V AMD Socket AM2 AMD Athlon X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 /nForce 405 chipset 2 x 240Pin GeForce 6100 Barebone - Retail

Now I've gotta say, this is by far one of the nicest barebones I've worked with. For $90 you get an attractive case, a motherboard with integrated video and a 400w power supply that, according to the specs on the side, is overkill for a system of this calibur with dual 12v and 2 8cm fans cooling it.

The case has good ventilation, with a mesh area over where a video card would be if you were so inclined to install one, and a mesh area with a cooling vent that pushes cool air from outside the case over the processor. Then the power supply fans, which pull the air out of the case. Overall I would say the fans are loud, but with a lower frequency that isn't as annoying as most fans that come with cheap cases and power supplies. It's not so much the fans that I hear as the air just rushing through the case. I'm a bit sensitive to noise, using a Ninja with a quiet 120mm fan on my processor and a zalman cooler on my video card, so take that loud comment for what it's worth.

Installation was quick and painless with Windows Vista Business, I didn't even need the driver disk. Popped a retail X2 3600+, 1gb of Corsair XMS2-675, a 200gb sata hard drive and a 16x lite-on sata dvd burner for a complete system ringing in at $309 shipped (for the hardware. She got the software from work.) I must say I am thoroughly impressed with the performance that can be had for such a small amount of money these days. The 6100 integrated video isn't spectacular, but for a simple work PC it's more than adequate, and although the experience index only gave it a score of 3.0 for Aero, I cannot tell the difference between this computer and mine (x800pro video) as far as that goes.

Once I make my way back downstairs I'll dig up some batteries for the camera and snap a few pictures.

^ was that necissary?

yep, at the computer shop i used to work at we used a lot of MBOX systems (we were an MSI distributor)... they generally had nforce2 chipsets for the AMD models and VIA chipsets for the intel ones... they all went together very smoothly (but i probably would have put 2 gigs of ram in that system above)

Back