WPA but no WPA2?

sharkapult

Limp Gawd
Leopard 10.5.2

Aiport Extreme 802.11N card

I'm new to OSX so maybe it's something basic I'm missing, but I'm not seeing an option for WPA2 (which my network uses), and when trying to use my friend's WEP based router, it's not accepting the password. So far, the only router I can get on is a neighbor's open router.

My home router is a WRT600N, 2.4ghz is mixed mode B/G/N, WPA2 AES encryption; 5.8ghz is N, WPA2 AES encryption

:confused:

It's gotta be user error as OS X has fully supported WPA2 since atleast Tiger and maybe even prior to that.

WPA2.png

EDIT: Also when trying to connect to WEP try one of the other options (WEP 40/128-bit hex, etc)

As I stated, my router does WPA2, and is set for WPA2.

Those options are not showing up though. WPA2 is absent from my list.

How are you trying to connect? If you click the Airport menu item, instead of clicking on the SSID, click on Join Other, then enter your SSID and you should have WPA2 as an option.

But you said you couldn't connect to your friend's WEP router, which is why I replied with what I did.

How are you trying to connect? If you click the Airport menu item, instead of clicking on the SSID, click on Join Other, then enter your SSID and you should have WPA2 as an option.

also, if you do click on the SSID in that menu, it should automatically determine the security type. Try just entering your password when the prompt comes up.

also, if you do click on the SSID in that menu, it should automatically determine the security type. Try just entering your password when the prompt comes up.

From my experience, OS X, atleast back to Tiger, has issues with some access points using WEP. You are correct though, it *SHOULD* determine it automatically but it doesn't always work.

From my experience, OS X, atleast back to Tiger, has issues with some access points using WEP. You are correct though, it *SHOULD* determine it automatically but it doesn't always work.

talking about WPA2 there, since the OP couldn't connect to a WPA2 router, even though it should apply to WEP too.

Back