Write an ISO image to an SD Card

MrJohnson

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I've googled (and binged) far and wide, but can not find a software solution to allow me to write an iso file to a sd card. Anyone know of a way to do this (and make that sd card bootable)?

What you'll need to do is extract the files with whatever utility you want. Then extract the boot sector with something like ISO Buster or magic iso, and then write them back to the SD card. I can't think of the name of the utility I used to write them back, though...

While I can't guarantee it'll work, you could look into PE2USB. It's really designed to move BartPE/WinPE ISOs to USB sticks but you might have some luck with it.

I'm curious what you're trying to "move" to the SD card. It wouldn't by any chance be something like Windows so you can install it on something like a laptop without a) an optical drive b) USB ports that can't be used to boot from and c) a Toshiba, would it? :)

If so, I've been there, done that, and I can provide some tips on how to get Windows back on one of those god awful laptops that wouldn't boot from USB devices unless it was a branded Toshiba USB optical drive.

I have an 8gb SD Card and I want to put the iso image of the HP restore disk on it so I can restore my HP Mini 1000. I don't have an external DVD drive and I don't feel like wasting money on one.

You have a real computer, based on your sig (meaning a desktop) so, do you happen to have an 8GB USB stick, by any chance? If so you might be able to use that instead - I know SD cards can be made bootable and some devices actually allow for booting from SD readers but, USB sticks are far more prevalent for such purposes.

I found this page at HP:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...=3832468&prodTypeId=321957&objectID=c01634414

that gives tools and specific info on creating a USB stick (2GB or larger) for the factory system restore image, apparently it downloads it (?!?!?!) or something, news to me. That page and the tool(s) are for the mini 1000 series specifically so that may end up being the best solution in the long run.

Can't think of much else to say except that's an option if you're intending to do an actual factory restore. Windows XP itself isn't designed to be installed from a USB stick (since during the installation the USB ports are reset several times making them basically 'dead' and unreadable during some portions of setup) so...

Since HP has created a process and a tool for doing said "factory" restore, I guess that would be the suggestion: use their tool(s) to get the job done. It's not actually doing an installation from the USB stick once it's created - it's merely booting from it only to run the image restoration utility which then writes the image bit by bit to the drive in the mini 1000 and wham, you're back to out-of-the-box condition, hopefully.

I would like to thank you very much for your help.

The problem I've been having is I removed the recovery partition on the hard drive for the restore to work. The second problem I have is I do not own a large enough memory stick.

Thanks for your help, I am leaning to the position of buying a USB stick or external DVD drive to solve this problem as I don't believe this can be resolved otherwise (to my regret).

Well, the easiest way to resolve this - if you have an internal DVD drive in the desktop machine - is to get something like this:

http://www.frys.com/product/5466019

I know that not everyone has a Fry's near them but that's about as cheap as the price will get, and at least you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. I have one of those (that exact Kingwin device) and I've been using it for nearly 2 years now to "attach" a full sized optical drive and regular 3.5" desktop as well as 2.5" laptop drives to USB ports, both IDE and SATA based, and never had one issue. And yes, it comes with it's own power adapter to handle full size drives (12VDC) as well as standard laptop devices (5VDC) as well as an SATA power adapter too (4 pin Molex to SATA power).

Instead of you buying an external optical drive complete, this would be far more useful as you can simply attach it to your current optical drive in the desktop - you wouldn't even have to remove the drive as long as you can slide a side panel or cover off and reach the connectors on the drive - and then plug the USB cable into the HP mini 1000 and access it as a bootable optical device.

Some places like Best Buy sell such adapters as well so it's worth checking out, but the side benefit is that you'll have it if necessary, you can use it for other drive types (as noted, optical or hard drive, even SSD if required) and it'll pay for itself the first time you use it since an external optical drive complete is going to be at least $40-50 or more.

Worse comes to worse: buy an external optical drive, use it to get the OS reinstalled, then return it and complain that it doesn't read your discs, who knows. Somewhat sneaky just to use a drive once and return it but, if that gets the job done, so be it.

The problem with getting a big USB stick as you just suggested is still the same: XP won't properly install from a USB stick even if you do manage to transfer the data over - the installation will fail for several reasons, most notably the one I mentioned about the USB ports being cut off at various stages and not coming back up when actually required (when files are needed off the stick).

If you can find one of those Kingwin adapters, or the same type of adapter made by anybody at all, grab it and get things done.

Back