WSUS partition is full

Baredor

Gawd
So the whole of our IIS runs on an old machine. We only have our intranet site (very small) and WSUS running. For whatever reason, the guy setting this up broke a 36 gig drive into 2 partitions and put the OS and WSUS on the first 19.5 gig part, leaving the remaining 14.7 gig partition unused. /shrug

Now our WSUS is up to 15 gigs of data and the partition is out of room. I thought about converting to dynamic disk and doing a spanned volume over the rest of the drive. Since this is the boot drive, it didn't like that idea:

Next I considered mounting the volume as a folder, but I don't really know of anywhere it would be useful in the current setup. I can't split or set a spillover for WSUS data that I know of. Anything that can be done to utilize that wasted space besides nuking this thing and starting over?

You could use something like Partition Magic and extend the current partition to use the rest of the drive.

Partition Magic or Server Magic as I think the Server version is called is a known entity. It's been a fairly mature prduct for years and works well. Depending on you're available downtime for this unit though it might be cheaper to wipe and reload instead of buying Server magic. It's pretty expensive as IIRC.

Have you been keeping the maintenance of the WSUS server up so that old superceded patches are removed? They are not removed by default by WSUS when they are declined if they were approved at one point.

WSUS Maintenance

Nessus -

Thanks very much for the link. It took several hours, but I did everything on that page and we've reclaimed nearly 7GB. I plan to make another pass through on useless updates, and then work on our filtering of updates. The current system leaves much to be desired. Tons of x64/Itanium and other such things that are useless to us are still getting through.

Again, thanks for throwing a line to a WSUS noob. :D

just for kicks and giggles, you are only set to download in english? The person that i had in charge of setting up WSUS didn't look at this, the next thing i know is we have right around 20 gigs, and growing,
Also you can set WSUS to have the machines pull the updates directly from Microsoft, is this an option for you? I understand the convience of having the updates stored locally, but as you found out you have to have the storage.

If you delete the unused partition and you are running Win2k3 you may be able to use diskpart to expand the existing partition. YMMV so make sure you back everything up first.

wolf -

We were set to only English, though some foreign language Office components had gotten through. I manually declined all of them. We were set however to download a ton of things we don't use - ISA, SBS, x64, Itanium, etc. Getting rid of all this was key. :)

big -

At this point, I have the size under control for the immeadiate future. I'm hoping to replace this box eventually when we revamp our intranet site. I'd like to get a $1kish server with 2003 Web edition (saves money) and then host everything on it. Til then, we should be ok as long as I can continue preventive maintenace. :D

Baredor said:
I'd like to get a $1kish server with 2003 Web edition (saves money) and then host everything on it. Til then, we should be ok as long as I can continue preventive maintenace. :D

I'm sure you are aware of this but web edition is VERY limited on its capablities. IMO you might want to spend the extra and get the standard edition.

Baredor said:
Nessus -

Thanks very much for the link. It took several hours, but I did everything on that page and we've reclaimed nearly 7GB. I plan to make another pass through on useless updates, and then work on our filtering of updates. The current system leaves much to be desired. Tons of x64/Itanium and other such things that are useless to us are still getting through.

Again, thanks for throwing a line to a WSUS noob. :D

No prob. WSUS is designed to be low maintenance, but it pulls in everything under the sun in its default config, and it takes a bit of work to find good ongoing support documentation.

Now, I'm waiting for a supported solution hosted on x64 Server that doesn't involve a 32-bit 2003 OS running in a virtual server. The next major release is supposed to support that finally (rumor has 3q2006).

At least with the realease of WSUS SP1 three days ago you can finally use Sql 2005 as the database repository in a supported configuration. :)

Back