WTB: Athlon 2500/2600, 8x AGP, 512mb DDR Sticks

jzodda

Gawd
I have an old system that I am trying to upgrade a little for my friend who was just laid off so he can play Lord of the Rings Online. His 2003 era laptop plays it terribly.

I have an old Socket A Epox 8kHa+ (great OC board in its day) currently running an athlon XP1900 and a Radeon 9700 along with 512megs (2-256mb sticks) of PC2100 ram.

I would like to upgrade to a better proc like an Athlon XP2600, an 8x AGP card with 512 megs and 1GB of DDR PC2100 or PC2700 (2 512 meg sticks) or even three sticks.

He can't pay much but if anybody has some of this old stuff and would like to unload it cheap please let me know!

Thanks

id go for a 2500 barton which can easily be easily turned into the 3200 barton

Jogging my memory a bit here, and not sure of the exact parts in this case, but I have an old AOpen AK79D-400 with a Barton 2500+ in it. IIRC, it may have even been a mobile chip, as the board didn't ID it correctly due to it being the laptop chip.
It also has a Tt Volcano 11+ HSF and a single stick of DDR 512 RAM. No luck on the AGP card, as both a 6800 and a 6800GS I had in there have died off. I do have an ATI 9800 Pro, but that's not really the best fit for the build either.

If you want details on anything, I can pull the case from the depths of the garage and post back.

I have a Mobile XP 2800 with unlocked multiplier, a nice Kingwin all-copper cooler, and some DDR. PM me if you need more info.

Pm's responded to...

As to the XP2800 the highest the Expox board will take is a 2600 from what I read on their spec page.

I wouldn't pay any attention to that, as you'll likely be getting a chip, and will be setting up an optimal multiplier and bus speed provided the CPU gives you that flexibility, right? You'd likely get "Unknown CPU" running anything but a Palomino or Thoroughbred. Plus I don't think that motherboard could run a Mobile XP 2800 at stock speeds anyway since it won't do 400 fsb. A multiplier adjustment would get you back up to its intended speed though, albeit with a loss of bandwidth due to lower FSB.

kt266a chipset has 266 fsb and no correctly working PCI dividers, so either you try to get an XP 2600 266 fsb, and you'll likely not be able to do too much overclocking (or any at all), or you throw that board for a loop with a chip with an unlocked multiplier and just OC that way. :p

With kt266a you have to have the right mix of components to do much overclocking at all. I used to be into that for a while and found that only SBLive, GF3's and Radeon 8500s could handle up to the very high bus speeds created when doing FSB overclocking... other video/sound cards including an R300 card I was screwing with just couldn't hack it.

To max out this board you'd need an unlocked-multi Athlon XP, and hopefully you can get it to 240x9.5 (2.66ghz), which would basically have the system keeping pace with an Athlon 64 2800 in most games.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I miss talking about that old stuff.

I've got that mobile barton 2500+, abit nf7s nforce 2 and 1gb of ram system up for grabs in my thread. I'll do the board, proc and ram for 40 shipped if your buddy is interested. All I have for video is the 9600xt 128mb. I'll throw that in for 45 shipped.

I know you pm'd me for the ram but I'd like to let the ad sit for a day to try and sell most of the system together.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I miss talking about that old stuff.

I do too. I have not even turned on this computer for about 5 years-so I am trying to remember all this good old stuff myself :)

Back