WTB: Single 6pin nVidia GPU

[Ion]

[H]ard DCOTM February 2024
Downsizing to a smaller system and I'm looking for a single GPU to use in it. Downside is that it has a (proprietary) 400w PSU. Looking for a single GPU that requires only one 6pin PCIe power plug and is at least as fast as the 8800GT SLI setup from my DP setup. Something like a GTX750TI would be pretty good. nVidia preferred but would consider AMD as well. Send me your price shipped to 27516.

You can buy a dual molex to 6pin connector on eBay pretty cheap. I did that when running 3x8800gtx cards and it worked well.

You can buy a dual molex to 6pin connector on eBay pretty cheap. I did that when running 3x8800gtx cards and it worked well.

I know--the PSU doesn't have any 6pin plugs so I'm already using a molex->6pin on an 8800GT ATM. I don't think it's a good idea to use two of them to try and run something like my spare HD7950.

Right on! Well hopefully someone pops along and has something that works for you :)

Just throwing in my two cents here since I was in a similar situation a while back (moved overseas for work, lugged an HTPC along).

From my limited research, the best you'd be able to do with a single 6pin PCI-E is a reference GTX 960 on the nVidia side. I didn't look too hard at the AMD choices since nVidia has a tendency to consistently beat AMD on power consumption so you'd probably have to go even further back with AMD which ends up not working so great since older cards tend also to be more power-hungry.

In any event, I ended up with a PNY GTX 960 4GB (PNY GeForce GTX 960 XLR8 4GB Graphics Card VCGGTX9604XPB) which was the only 4GB GTX 960 I could find that used the reference design. You can save a bit of money with a 2GB variant but you'll definitely need that reference design since all of the non-reference designs require an 8-pin.

Good luck with the search! I still remember when the 8800GT was the best bang-for-the-buck card. How time flies, huh?

Just throwing in my two cents here since I was in a similar situation a while back (moved overseas for work, lugged an HTPC along).

From my limited research, the best you'd be able to do with a single 6pin PCI-E is a reference GTX 960 on the nVidia side. I didn't look too hard at the AMD choices since nVidia has a tendency to consistently beat AMD on power consumption so you'd probably have to go even further back with AMD which ends up not working so great since older cards tend also to be more power-hungry.

In any event, I ended up with a PNY GTX 960 4GB (PNY GeForce GTX 960 XLR8 4GB Graphics Card VCGGTX9604XPB) which was the only 4GB GTX 960 I could find that used the reference design. You can save a bit of money with a 2GB variant but you'll definitely need that reference design since all of the non-reference designs require an 8-pin.

Good luck with the search! I still remember when the 8800GT was the best bang-for-the-buck card. How time flies, huh?

A GTX960 is rather more than what I need -- and rather outside of my budget too. I'd rather spend ~$70 on a 750TI than $200 on a GTX960

Back