WTB: Socket 939/K8 Tower Cooler

The stock clips have been the same since s754. As long as it uses the clips, any modern tower cooler will work. Mounting holes I'm not sure of, but I think they are the same through AM3+.

Mounting holes I'm not sure of, but I think they are the same through AM3+.

I just checked a few of my old boards, they're not.

754 has two screws, one on each side of the socket.
939 is the same as 754.
AM2/AM2+ has four screws widely spaced apart, two on each side of the socket.
AM3/AM3+ looks to have the same setup as AM2/AM2+
AM4 has four screws, but the two screws on each side of the socket are closer together.

The double hook retainer mechanism used on all sockets is slightly different between 754/939 and AM2/3/4 sockets. The hooks are a bit farther away from the motherboard, making later heatsinks have a looser fit. There are also plastic nubs in each corner of the plastic retainer that raise the base of the heatsink up a bit of it is a blowdown style cooler. This is not a problem with normal desktop parts, but it is a problem if you try to use a mobile Turion 64, the nubs create a gap between the CPU die and the heatsink base.

That being said, I'd recommend an AM3/AM3+ stock cooler with heatpipes. I've used them on my old 939 boards with good success.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273009662895

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Pretty sure I have an actual "tower" type cooler for the 939 boards. If I recall correctly it's a Thermochill cooler.......Won't know until tomorrow though. I have to run to the shop and I'll check for you in the morning.

I just checked a few of my old boards, they're not.

754 has two screws, one on each side of the socket.
939 is the same as 754.
AM2/AM2+ has four screws widely spaced apart, two on each side of the socket.
AM3/AM3+ looks to have the same setup as AM2/AM2+
AM4 has four screws, but the two screws on each side of the socket are closer together.

The double hook retainer mechanism used on all sockets is slightly different between 754/939 and AM2/3/4 sockets. The hooks are a bit farther away from the motherboard, making later heatsinks have a looser fit. There are also plastic nubs in each corner of the plastic retainer that raise the base of the heatsink up a bit of it is a blowdown style cooler. This is not a problem with normal desktop parts, but it is a problem if you try to use a mobile Turion 64, the nubs create a gap between the CPU die and the heatsink base.

That being said, I'd recommend an AM3/AM3+ stock cooler with heatpipes. I've used them on my old 939 boards with good success.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273009662895

I have that heatsink and have actually used it in a pinch on AM4, AM3+, and FM1.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Have one for am3+ not for sure the manufacturer has either 5 or 6 heat pipes on contact dual fan. This cooler is friggin huge. Cooled a oc 8370. Will check in am

Pretty sure I have an actual "tower" type cooler for the 939 boards. If I recall correctly it's a Thermochill cooler.......Won't know until tomorrow though. I have to run to the shop and I'll check for you in the morning.

I took a look and it's a ZEROTherm tower cooler. Has a 120mm fan that blows through 4 heatpipes. I didn't pull it but I think this is actually a direct contact type cooler.

Nope, it isn't a direct contact cooler. It is this exact one here:

https://www.performance-pcs.com/cle...-cpu-cooler-socket-775-939-940-am2-nv120.html

Does a great job of cooling a 939 chip.

Back