WTB X6800, E8600 or Q9500

darkangel74

Limp Gawd
Looking for one of these to give me a basic upgrade from a e6850. Not looking to spend more than $40. I understand you might be tied to your processor but these have been EOL for some time now.

Unless you go quad. You will not be able to really tell.. the E8400 isnt really that big of a jump, The QX6700 is a beast!! I was able to hit 3.5(under water) with it.. But a Q6600 would help out.. Ive seen a few on here for some good deals :) I would check ebay as well bra :D

Go to Hardwarecunucks.com and check out the bench test

ebay is just plain stupid. Most are listed around 100 bucks or more. Not sure my gifted mobo supports the QX6700

What mobo is it?? I was saying ebay if ya couldnt find one on here.. the only good thing bout ebay is the "buyer Protection" (NOT SAYING THAT ANYONE ON HERE WOULD RIP ANYONE OFF!! ) :D

ANd i would say no matter where you buy one.. Prolly be around $50-60 & up :-\

I still see people listing Q9550s anywhere from 100-150, which i don't understand.. you sure you willing to keep the 775?

Nothing wrong with keepin 775.. Its a good build.. I had a 780I FTW & QX6700 and 8gb RAM, and 570 SLI and was able to run ALL games on max settings.. :D

Can you tell us the kinda motherboard you have? *Darkangel* ?

I see that MSI claims that motherboard supports 400fsb via overclocking, but I've never had luck with 400fsb with g31s.

The e6850 is a 333fsb cpu, so at least we know that works.

If you're looking for an upgrade and want to stay on that platform, I'd keep an eye out for a cheap used q6600.

Hopefully, you'll be able to set 333fsb and run it at 3ghz. Otherwise, a pinmod should work. You'll definitely notice those extra cores.

Hope you're paying too much for electricity though. I was pretty content with my q6600 but the $200 2600k microcenter deal was too good to pass up. 2600k is worlds faster than the q6600, while being much friendlier on the wallet (not even saying the q6600 was that bad, as long as you undervolt or at least don't overvolt).

A wolfdale or another conroe definitely wouldn't really be much of an upgrade, and definitely not worth the $.

Good luck.

I know the ideal route would to go to 2600 but you see I have this problem. Being unemployed kinda makes that impossible.

I kinda doubt you will be able to find ANY of them CPU's you listed for $40 man :(

He might get lucky, but yeah -- I havent seen any CPU that would be considered an upgrade over E6850 sell for $40 or less. The E6850 are selling on average $60+ shipping fleabay.

what about overclocking your E6850 ?

I've seen q6600's go between $60-80 every so often. Wait for one of those and then sell your e6850 for similar.

Its overclocked to around 3.3 ghz. I want some less waiting on video rendering for some videos i do. All night for a HD video is a bit rough. I said around $40 for a reason. Right now thats all i got.

Back