wtf is pcie 1x and 4x for???

-=ABUSIVE-69=-

Limp Gawd
why do all the boards now have so many pcie 1x and/or 4x slots. nothing supports them! :mad: at least they could put a pci-x because they actually have things that support that. why do mobo makers choose a connection that has nothing to go in it over a connection that does :confused:

there are tuners nics and raid cards for 1x and 4x pci-e slots

and pci-x is completly different so it would take extra gear to get them working making the board more complex then needed

As the guy above said, PCI-E x1 and x4 slots are there to replace PCI, mostly in the future, but the aegia is/will be eventually in a x1 or x4 slot, my raid card is going to be sitting in (x4 or x16, haven't built the box yet).
Its in use, niche stuff right not, just filtering slowly as people get the slots and the companies realize there is a market. Think of how prevalent PCI is, and then think about how long it took to kill ISA...

Creative labs and others coming out with a PCIe sound card would help the transition get started.

1x is if you want to do some crazy RAIDing.

4x is if you have some other desire that isn't RAIDing.

The only exception to all of this is the Matrox video card.

AceGoober said:
1x, 4x or even 8x PCIe slots are not specifically relegated to one certain task (RAID, audio, video, etc).

I know, but in general you find 1x is usually for RAID cards, and 4x is for everything else.

My raid card is PCIe x8, need motherboard makers to eliminate the PCI slots and add a PCIe x8 slto so I can do SLI :p

a 1x slot is really not enough for the high end raid cards you would probably find that these cards will go in 4x 8x and 16x slots rather then the 1x

while on the other hand a 1x slot is fine for cheap vid cards, any soundcard out today network cards and many other devices that dont need as much bandwidth as say 8-16 hdds all at the same time

Back