WWDC 2010 Discussion Thread

KaosDG

[H]F Junkie
We all know... iPhone 4...

This is the WWDC 2010 Discussion thread. It's NOT the "I'm going to get xxx smartphone instead" thread.

Last edited:
Not trying to start a war here, seriously, but so far (they're showing off iMovie for the iPhone at this moment) I still haven't seen anything impressive about this one. I know we already knew a lot about it but not the exact fine print and finer details but, even so, I don't see this one so far as being a huge standout device.

The higher resolution screen is nice, but as one person posted in another thread, keeping the actual diagonal screen size the same is somewhat questionable but, it's their phone, they'll do what they want with it. Apple doesn't make stuff for consumers that consumers want - they make stuff they want and sell it to consumers.

It'll sell like mad, of course, just like all the previous ones. I'm still gunning for an HD2 personally... :)

hardware looks nice.... the gyroscope could be cool. Need to see it to to know....

the imovie seem okay, but i am not sure if I would use it regularly...

They say safari is the better HTML5 browser but chrome scores higher. www.html5test.com

More smaller pixles is good for the screen but more, not shrunk down, pixles are good for photos? You don't want to enlarge low resolution photos which is what this is doing, better to have more but smaller pixles go you can get a higher resolution in a smaller space just like the screen.

Retina display! Dude, you increased the resolution, it's not rocket science.

People complain about microsofts implementation of multitasking in their upcoming phone yet apple does the exact same implementation.

Best thing so far is ibook now supports pdf's.

What I really want to hear about is OSX 10.7

Last edited:
Did anyone notice how much of the presentation he spent explaining resolution? Yeah I understand thanks. I could barely make out pixels on my iphone now, so this one will be super smooth. I didn't need charts and a special code name for that resolution to get the point across.

Now I have to make the choice between the iPhone 4 and droid on an evo. Gonna have to seriously think about this one.

Netflix for iPhone is awesome! Did they say anything about OS 4.0s release date?

I think I am just going to stick with my 3gs with OS 4.0 until next year when the iPhone 5 comes out since I am not due for an upgrade yet.

Give me a Verizon version of the phone and I'll bite. AT&T's service is really bad here. No viable 3G coverage and very spotty cell coverage. At least its better than T-Mobile who gets no coverage at all here.

Netflix for iPhone is awesome! Did they say anything about OS 4.0s release date?

I think I am just going to stick with my 3gs with OS 4.0 until next year when the iPhone 5 comes out since I am not due for an upgrade yet.

I believe he said iOS4 should be releasing this month.

Sometimes I just don't get the ad thing, I really don't. People pay for the devices, they pay for the apps (ok, the overwhelming majority does), they pay for the bandwidth to use the devices (3G, etc, if it's Wi-Fi well, they're probably paying for that somehow too) and now ads spammed in people's faces as well?

Personally I find this just as reprehensible as going to a theater, paying $10+ for a single movie ticket, paying $10+ for a soda and a few things to munch on, and then being force-fed commercials before even the previews of the movies coming soon get rolling.

I'm not going to go into the "ad blocking" territory but I'm just saying: in the situation with the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad and apps... anyone else just reaching a threshold of "I'm not gonna take it anymore!!!" or is it just me?

Sometimes I just don't get the ad thing, I really don't. People pay for the devices, they pay for the apps (ok, the overwhelming majority does), they pay for the bandwidth to use the devices (3G, etc, if it's Wi-Fi well, they're probably paying for that somehow too) and now ads spammed in people's faces as well?

Personally I find this just as reprehensible as going to a theater, paying $10+ for a single movie ticket, paying $10+ for a soda and a few things to munch on, and then being force-fed commercials before even the previews of the movies coming soon get rolling.

I'm not going to go into the "ad blocking" territory but I'm just saying: in the situation with the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad and apps... anyone else just reaching a threshold of "I'm not gonna take it anymore!!!" or is it just me?

I'm just curious as to how they'll be implemented. If done well it shouldn't be too much of an issue. If done poorly then yeah...

Well if the apps are blaring on the screen taking a ton of space, on a paid app, that'd be bs. but from the looks of it its just a bar at the bottom of the screen which, if you choose to open then is visible. Hopefully it integrates well.

Video calls. Neat, but considering the new data plans from ATT its going to be killer on that bandwidth cap.

hmmm so with AT&T's recent data plan changes, how is the iPhone 4's ability to make video calls going to affect data usage? hmmm.

The video call was made with wifi in the demo. Apparently wifi is required for this.

Yah, demoing the video chat now, but complaining about the Wi-Fi in the convention hall. I find it funny since one would think showing that on 3G would be "the killer app" and not Wi-Fi.

Or am I missing something?

Ah... just said "It's called FaceTime. WiFi only. iPhone 4 to iPhone 4. No setup." (but with the caveat they'll work with carriers for 3G potential...)

Well what's the use... sheesh.

Its not just you. I don't understand all the ads either.

I like the resolution and I like the wifi being N standard. This year I'm going to upgrade my entire house to N and not look back. If the Evo had N, I might have switched already.

The ads really kill me. I'm still looking at the Evo though. Sprint service is cheaper by far (over 2 years) it's pretty significant. I'm okay with ATT service (now, after big upgrades in Phoenix).

Either way it's looking good this summer in the mobile market.

Couldn't find it. Browsing on my phone, but when will it be available to purchase?

"Pricing -- there's two colors. White and black. Pricing -- $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB."

No 64GB model, eh... somehow I think one will appear before the end of the year, perhaps.

32GB on a phone that does 720p 30fps recording ain't gonna cut it for most people.

"Pricing -- there's two colors. White and black. Pricing -- $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB."

No 64GB model, eh... somehow I think one will appear before the end of the year, perhaps.

32GB on a phone that does 720p 30fps recording ain't gonna cut it for most people.

32gb is a ton of space IMO.

I've put tons of crap on my iPad 64gb and still have room.

June 24th... that goes along with the rumor I heard that AT&T had put out a memo to stores telling employees not to look for time off near the end of June... hrmmm...

I'm pretty happy with everything announced so far. Hopefully Canada gets it July, I don't want to wait until September.

11:41AM "AT&T is going to make an incredibly generous upgrade offer. If your contract expires at any time in 2010, you can upgrade to the iPhone 4. You can get it up to six months early."

Wow mine is eligible January 2011 lol

It's interesting they going to give away the iOS 4 upgrade to all devices for free this time, according to what he just announced so, iPod touch 2G/3G owners, no more $9.99 hit on top of what they've already paid. I suppose that's a positive thing...

In the video, yep... as expected: they have to sell it based on what it can do even though it appears presently and for the foreseeable future that the carriers will be the ones to blame for not allowing it over 3G. Great way to blow off the negativity... :)

Gotta love this comment on Engadget:

"Gotta admit, this video is making this thing look extremely attractive."

and this classic one:

"We developed a glass that's 30 times harder than plastic."

Pretty sure all glass is harder than plastic but, what do I know. :p 30 times harder than what, trash bags?

It would be nice if Apple realized that there are people who want an iPhone but can't use ATT.

Nice that number said I can upgrade! I am going to pre order one of these as soon as I can.

Back