WWDC thread

"PowerMac - says it's goodbyes"

Now the Mac Pro: Core 2 Duo Woodcrest, up to 3GHz, 4MB cache. All are dual-proc. Sweet.

They say 1.6x to 2x faster than the G5 Quad. 2x jump in Xcode. Less cooling, room for four hard drives, now has two optical drives.

No more watercoolin', huh? Damn.

Dual 2.6 Core 2, 256MB RAM, Superdrive: $2499. Shipping today. Perhaps the next revision will come with no RAM at all?

Am I missing something? Comes in 256mb standard?!?!?

2.6 Ghz dual
256 MB ram
Superdrive
$2499

Maybe they figured people BTO or buy their ram elsewhere anyway... This is a way to drive down costs?

FBDIMMs are expensive. That could be it.

With a BASE price of $2500, there HAS to be some sort of conroe mac in between the iMac and the Mac Pro.

Its purely a marketing move. 256 will run X poorly I'd imagine. They went with 256 just to achieve that price point it seems.

Yeah it's 1gb system memory, 256mb video.

They did good, dual xeons standard, that's pretty kickass. The 7300GT sucks though. :p

Doesn't say anything about VRAM. Assume 256MB is RAM.

No iPod refresh today. Just the Mac Pro and Xserve - oh well.

This is amazing. I am not sure of the small amount of ram, but when I get a Dual 3GHz Mac Pro, I will be getting it with 4 GB of Ram...

Hopefully these Xserve's will be similar too? I would immagine.

USMC2Hard4U said:
This is amazing. I am not sure of the small amount of ram, but when I get a Dual 3GHz Mac Pro, I will be getting it with 4 GB of Ram...

Hopefully these Xserve's will be similar too? I would immagine.

I hope you're ready to pay Apple outrageous memory prices as I don't think major retailers sell FBDIMM ram.. :D

3000 UB Apps..blah blah, they need to get Adobe to go UB. Numbers mean jack shit! :rolleyes:

Also didn't the 86million lines of OSX code get ported to x86 every time a new build came out, one of those internal x86 releases? And hasn't it been like that for YEARS. :rolleyes:

Seems they really like driving home how they have cheaper better stuff than dells. Which is true because lobotomized monkeys could make better computers. :eek:

Looks like there won't be any MacBook Pro updates. They're already moving on to Leopard.

And so ensues the "bash Vista" portion of today's keynote.

"mail, calendaring, address book, moved search to top right of screen. wow - the innovation"

phide said:
And so ensues the "bash Vista" portion of today's keynote.

"mail, calendaring, address book, moved search to top right of screen. wow - the innovation"
if you can't innovate, impersonate (shows pic of Elvis impersonator) :D

B. W. said:
Looks like there won't be any MacBook Pro updates. They're already moving on to Leopard.
I'm sitll hoping for that in the "one more thing" category. All yonah based units will go merom starting at the end of the month.

If there were a "one more thing" category, it'd probably be reserved for the iPod, I would think.

Not at a developer event, I figure the iPod update will be next month in Paris.

I'm worried about my MacBook with its yonah inside. I'd hope it would run Leopard but now who knows.

Could be? Not too sure.

I like the fact that Apple isn't afraid to do major transitions.

Time Machine is Volume Shadow Copy that looks neat.

Tomahawk said:
No, I don't think so. 32-bit and 64-bit apps can run side-by-side.

G4s and below are 32bit processors though...

Isn't Leopard pure 64bit that can run 32bit apps?

synergyo1 said:
No new Mac Pro case I gathered?

Nope, but 2 optical drives, 4 internal HDs max, 4 full length pci express slots (doubtful all are 16x though)..whatever that means, smaller cpu portion, no more gigantic G5 heatsinks, yay!

Ah, so now bootcamp is official. Shame no direct-in-leopard emu though...

Multiple desktops..hmm, I've always found using virtual desktops weird..but that's just me.

I have a feeling Spaces is just going to lead to computer novices getting windows more lost in "space"... :rolleyes:

Back