X-Fi and Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

sativa

Limp Gawd
Hey guys I had a question...

If I used my coaxial digital out on my x-Fi card and passed it through my 5.1 receiver would I be able to get 5.1 sound from games on dvds? I'd have to use the the external decoder though right? If this is the case, whats the point in having the X-Fi if my motherboard has built in optical outputs?

here's the link to my receiver and what it supports: http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR303&p=f&class=Receiver

it features DTS Neo:6, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Pro Logic II

Althought the X-Fi could output 5.1 sound and have it decoded by your receiver, for gaming, SPDIF will not give you surround sound.

This is because the X-Fi can only /decode/ dts/prologic etc, whereas in order for the X-Fi to 'make' a stream (as opposed to just getting one from a DVD) it would have to be able to /encode/.

In other words, to get 5.1 output from gaming it would require you to use the analog outputs on the X-Fi to your receiver.

Advantages over onboard sound? Far superior positioning, better audio quality, and more API's than you can shake a stick at (CMSS, EAX, etc.)

using audigy 2 ZS --- onkyo sr303s too... works fine, movies get surround sounds but games dont, I use my logitech's for that. Also using coaxial too.

I used analog for my x-fi to tx-sr503 and it works fine. I see no reason to go digital.

serbiaNem said:
I used analog for my x-fi to tx-sr503 and it works fine. I see no reason to go digital.

If you watched DVD's on your computer and you had a receiver you might.

I use analog for games and music. I use digital coax for DVDs.
Everything works fine. It's kind of a wiring mess behind my rec, but it works well.

ziscwg, is there an easy way to switch your receiver between the digital and analog inputs?

well on the 303 there are buttons on the front to choose the inputs... or you can use the remote to do it..

I just hit 'multi channel' for (duh, multi channel)... and if i get digital all i have to do is hit the digital input button..

Xaeon said:
ziscwg, is there an easy way to switch your receiver between the digital and analog inputs?

Yes, on the front panel of the rec there a row of input buttons. My far left 2 are "Multi CH" and "DVD"

When you want analog in for games and music, press multi channel.
For digital in, press DVD. (assuming you have selected to correct digital in, coax or optical)

When the rec senses a Dolby signal it then switches to Dolby. Make sure your DVD player software is set to digital out, not analog.

Back