X-Fi card kills video, any removeable resources?

Zamboni

[H]ard|Gawd
If install a SB ExtremeMusic in the system, my video card (x1950 AGP) dies from "insufficent resources" and dumps me into 4-color land on boot-up. An Audigy 2 works fine in the system.

It doesn't matter what PCI slot the card is in, the system reverts to 4-color mode at the login screen. Take it out, video runs fine. Board is a DFI LanParty 875Pro that otherwise runs fine.

Is there anything on the Extreme card that can be disabled (Device Manager or elsewhere) to free up "resources" for the Radeon to run properly?

If install a SB ExtremeMusic in the system, my video card (x1950 AGP) dies from "insufficent resources" and dumps me into 4-color land on boot-up. An Audigy 2 works fine in the system.

It doesn't matter what PCI slot the card is in, the system reverts to 4-color mode at the login screen. Take it out, video runs fine. Board is a DFI LanParty 875Pro that otherwise runs fine.

Is there anything on the Extreme card that can be disabled (Device Manager or elsewhere) to free up "resources" for the Radeon to run properly?

Possible IRQ conflict? go to your device manager (Control panel then system) and click view then resources by connection and see if the IRQ for your sound card is the same for your video card.

for some reason, insufficient power was the first thing that came to mind. i'd try looking around at irq's first though.

Which PCI slot do you have the XFI card plugged into? I've heard of issues in the past where having it in the first slot before the video slot can cause conflict. I usually plug mine in to the bottom PCI slot and haven't had problems.

Please post your complete specs?

Please post your complete specs?

WinXP Pro
DFI LanParty 875Pro (HighPoint RAID disabled)
P4 3.2
2GB PC3200 (4x512)
SATA hard drive, IDE DVD-RW
Thermaltake TruePower 750w (don't ask)

Works: Radeon x1950 Pro, Audigy 2
Works: Radeon 9800 Pro, ExtremeMusic
Doesn't Work: Radeon x1950 Pro, ExtremeMusic

Which PCI slot do you have the XFI card plugged into? I've heard of issues in the past where having it in the first slot before the video slot can cause conflict. I usually plug mine in to the bottom PCI slot and haven't had problems.

All of them. I started at the bottom and worked my way up. If the X-Fi is in any slot, the machine boots up in vgasave mode.

All of them. I started at the bottom and worked my way up. If the X-Fi is in any slot, the machine boots up in vgasave mode.

Noticed that now in your OP.

Only thing I can think of is to make sure your onboard is disabled in the BIOS and all the audigy2 drivers are cleaned out. Then do a fresh install of the XFI drivers.

Also make sure you have the newest BIOS version + drivers for your motherboard/chipset.

Noticed that now in your OP.

Only thing I can think of is to make sure your onboard is disabled in the BIOS and all the audigy2 drivers are cleaned out. Then do a fresh install of the XFI drivers.

Also make sure you have the newest BIOS version + drivers for your motherboard/chipset.

Onboard disabled in BIOS, as are parallel and both serial ports. Fresh install of the X-Fi drivers on a fresh, fully-patched WinXP install, then updated from Creative's site. Newest BIOS, newest chipset drivers. The ATI drivers are freshly downloaded. No conflicts showing anywhere in Device Manager. It's as clean as it gets.

I've never seen an "insufficient resources" error in Device Manager. I have the feeling that the two cards just can't be together on this board. :(

As far as I can tell it must be something with that chipset and the combination. A friend of mine has an x1950XT and an XFI extrememusic on an nforce4 chipset. He has no issues that I've heard of.

Back