X-FI S/PDIF out - Flexijack

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexeus

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know where I can find this ?

It plugs into the x-fi soundcards and allows digital output to a receiver or whatnot.

I cannot seem to FIND it anywhere though? Did they stop making this?

you don't need that... unless your reciever only accepts optical... if you can use coax digital.. this is all you need. (along with a coax cable)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062459&cp=&kw=mono+to+phon&parentPage=search
P1010046.jpg

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1018511

Awesome. Called the local Radioshack and they have 4 in stock. Thanks a million!

sweet.. make sure you check off "digital output" under your soundcard properties when you get it hooked up.

Alright, I went to RS to get it, and found a stereo 1/8" to phono as well as this mono 1/8" to phono. I assume the mono was the correct one to get?

Also, I picked up a digital coax cable, but I noticed something that perked my interest when I bought it. Namely, the digital coax cable looks exactly the same as the subwoofer cables and the composite cables they were selling. Is there actually a difference, because the interface looked exactly the same to me, but the digital coax was more expensive?

Edit: I just went and compared the digital coax to a crappy video composite cable I had and I... don't think there was a difference?... Can anyone confirm this?

nah.. as long as it's not from the dollar store... you shouldn't notice a difference since it's all digital.

Yeah, digital is digital. I just bought a $7 Toslink cable at RS. They have some screwed up prices there: Mine is a 12 footer with a coaxial cable attached to it for $7. The 6' optical cable alone was $10. :confused: Monster cable, of course, was charging like $40 for their thing, even though fiber optic cables are pretty simple: either there is light and therefore a signal or there isnt. If digital starts losing bits (a break in the signal) it just wont play music. Not like EMI can interfere with light anyways :)

killernoodle said:
Yeah, digital is digital. I just bought a $7 Toslink cable at RS. They have some screwed up prices there: Mine is a 12 footer with a coaxial cable attached to it for $7. The 6' optical cable alone was $10. :confused: Monster cable, of course, was charging like $40 for their thing, even though fiber optic cables are pretty simple: either there is light and therefore a signal or there isnt. If digital starts losing bits (a break in the signal) it just wont play music. Not like EMI can interfere with light anyways :)
Wellllllll
There is something called jitter to deal with that can make a difference in the reproduction of the signal on the other end. It's over my head, but it is a real phenomena

Alright, thanks for clearing that up. What about the 'mono 1/8" to phono' or 'stereo 1/8" to phono'? Which one was the correct one to get and why?

I think it makes sense to get mono since it's only one signal you're carrying over the line for all 7 speakers, does that make sense or does it not work like that?

Only reason I'm still asking instead of testing is because I don't actually have my X-Fi yet, it's still on a fedex truck. :( I just want to be prepared when it gets here.

Don't even bother with this if you have an X-Fi or any other creative sound card.

None of the support Dolby Digital Live.

This means you can not send a 5.1 signal to your receiver.

I still do not see why everyone gets a hard on over the X-Fi cards when they are pure hype. No DDL means it is a an over priced POS.

himmy said:
I still do not see why everyone gets a hard on over the X-Fi cards when they are pure hype. No DDL means it is a an over priced POS.
Why I went with my X-Fi Elite Pro vs the HDA Mystique Gold 7.1 and/or nForce2 Soundstorm:

1) Much better gaming support / driver support for DS3D and OpenAL
2) Better headphone mode
3) Audio quality on analog is equal to or better than DDL + receiver, and no compression of audio
4) Lower CPU hit. (see better drivers above)

Oh, and before you ask, yes I have all of them. So go choke on your pitifully limited DDL solution. :D

himmy said:
Don't even bother with this if you have an X-Fi or any other creative sound card.

None of the support Dolby Digital Live.

This means you can not send a 5.1 signal to your receiver.

Wait a minute here. You're saying I can't run my X-Fi via the flexijack through a digital coax cable to my HK DPR1001 receiver and get 5.1 surround sound?

Cause that would be terrible if that were the case...

vexeus said:
Wait a minute here. You're saying I can't run my X-Fi via the flexijack through a digital coax cable to my HK DPR1001 receiver and get 5.1 surround sound?

You can get it if it's pre-encoded with DD/DTS, like on movie DVDs.

vexeus said:

The X-Fi will always send Stereo audio over coax. It can also send pre-recorded DTS or Dolby Digital audio from DVDs.

Games however create 5.1 audio on-the-fly, the X-Fi cannot convert this to DTS/DD and send it out over coax. To get 5.1 from games you'll have to hook up cables from the X-Fi to your recievers 5.1 analog inputs.

squeezee said:
The X-Fi will always send Stereo audio over coax. It can also send pre-recorded DTS or Dolby Digital audio from DVDs.

Games however create 5.1 audio on-the-fly, the X-Fi cannot convert this to DTS/DD and send it out over coax. To get 5.1 from games you'll have to hook up cables from the X-Fi to your recievers 5.1 analog inputs.

I think you can get 5.1 from games if you also have certain sets of Creative speakers, since they then use their proprietary Digital DIN connection through that flexijack.

himmy said:
LOL.

That's funny.
Funny? Maybe to you, but it is also true. The CS4398 DAC x4 + the JRC 2068 and 2114 opamps offers a very good output stage. Considering my Pioneer uses AKM's AK4586VQ DAC, the quality difference in the final output was negligible, and even the CS4398's offered a more detailed presentation, known for their clinical, neutral, & accurate presentation. The AKM however produced sweeter sounding strings. :)

So, in a nutshell, using DDL will offer better audio from the external receiver when compared to onboard audio solutions and consumer soundcards and such, but does not comprete with an aptly designed soundcard with a good output stage.

Chastity said:
Funny? Maybe to you, but it is also true. The CS4398 DAC x4 + the JRC 2068 and 2114 opamps offers a very good output stage. Considering my Pioneer uses AKM's AK4586VQ DAC, the quality difference in the final output was negligible, and even the CS4398's offered a more detailed presentation, known for their clinical, neutral, & accurate presentation. The AKM however produced sweeter sounding strings. :)

So, in a nutshell, using DDL will offer better audio from the external receiver when compared to onboard audio solutions and consumer soundcards and such, but does not comprete with an aptly designed soundcard with a good output stage.

I hate to break it to you, but your Pioneer receiver isn't anything special. You migth have thought it was great when you bought it at Best Buy with your Infinity speakers, but it isn't even close.

Comparing the x-fi to your pioneer receiver, then making a blanket statement that the x-fi is as good if not better than the DAC's in 'receivers' is stupid at best.

Son, I have heard the x-fi, I even owned one to test it out, then sent it back. It didn't even come close. I also compared 2 channel analog audio to the competing DDL sound cards and the x-fi was barely better. Before you mention a word, all of my testing is done blind. This means I do not know what sound card is being used at the time. It is the only way to get rid of bias, and I do it with all audio tests, from speakers to DACs, to transports, etc.

himmy said:
Son, I have heard the x-fi, I even owned one to test it out, then sent it back. It didn't even come close. I also compared 2 channel analog audio to the competing DDL sound cards and the x-fi was barely better. Before you mention a word, all of my testing is done blind. This means I do not know what sound card is being used at the time. It is the only way to get rid of bias, and I do it with all audio tests, from speakers to DACs, to transports, etc.

Hmm, how do I close my own thread? It's too late isn't it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back