X-Fi Titanium 5.1 surround with both optical and analog?

Belzebutt

Weaksauce
I'm thinking of upgrading from my Audigy 2 ZS to a PCIe X-Fi Titanium. I run Vista (64-bit) and I play games and also use my PC to watch movies on the stero/TV in another room. Currently I use a coax S/PDIF to connect my PC to my stereo in another room, and I use the front/back analog to connect to my quad speakers. I have not been able to output Dolby Digital 5.1 out of my S/PDIF consistently. My stereo always reports Dolby Digital 2-channel sound even when I play movies with 6ch AC3. Also, when my speaker output is set to quad, I know this prbably messes up the Digital output speaker configuration. Also Creative's Audigy 2 ZS drivers just suck.

I know the X-Fi Titanium has only optical digital out, so I'll have to change to an optical cable when connecting to my stereo. But will I be able to get 5.1 Dolby Digital coming out of the optical, at the same time as analog 5-speaker sound from the analog outputs?

Basically, I want to be able to play 5.1 sound out of BOTH the analog and the digital out, at all times. Does anyone here do that with the X-Fi Titanium? I'll probably have to upgrade my quad speakers to 5.1 analog speakers, right? There's no way to output Doloby Digital 5.1 out of the digital jack, and output analog 4-speaker sound out of the analog?

Back