x-fi xtremegamer + 7600gs agp= 4 bit color!

peta328

Limp Gawd
Well I got my video card and sound card installed in my computer and when it boots it gives me only 4 bit color. But if I remove the sound card I get the right setting and the video card works fine. I am wondering what the problem is. I have a agp 7600gs 512mb and a x-fi xtreme gamer sound card. SO I am wondering if there is any way I can get this two to get along with each other so I can have good audio and good graphics.

anyone know how I can get out of the crappy 4 bit color to 32 bit color because if not I have a nice $80 paper weight lol. The video card is agp the sound card is pci. please help.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and bet that if you go into device manager, the video card will say something about there not being enough resources available to use the device (code 12). I had this exact problem when I installed a tv tuner in my computer. My 6800gt refused to work. I played w/ bios settings for a little while and decided it wasn't worth my trouble so I just put it in a different pc.

Then again... maybe you've got a different problem.... but if it's the same, i'd be interested in finding an answer too. :)

yup same error not enough resources. The only way I am using my computer was to remvoe my sound card. I to would like to find a damn answer to this annoying problem.

I ran into the same problem a little while back, and after some extensive google work I finally found the solution. With the soundcard and videocard in the machine boot up and enter bios and find the "AGP Aperature Size" setting. In order to get mine fixed I had to set the aperature to 128MB as opposed to the 256MB that it had defaulted to. I don't know why this fixed the problem, but it did. Hopefully this helps.

I had the same problem with an X1950Pro (AGP) and an X-Fi. An Audigy 2 worked fine, but the system reverted to 4-bit color if the X-Fi was installed.

I ran into the same problem a little while back, and after some extensive google work I finally found the solution. With the soundcard and videocard in the machine boot up and enter bios and find the "AGP Aperature Size" setting. In order to get mine fixed I had to set the aperature to 128MB as opposed to the 256MB that it had defaulted to. I don't know why this fixed the problem, but it did. Hopefully this helps.

Thank you so much i changed my aperature size from 128mb to 256mb and it works great now. ;) ;)

Hrmm... mine is set to 128 also. I guess I'll try switching it to 256 and see if that works. :) Thanks for the tip!

UPDATE - It worked! Man I feel like an idiot. I looked at the AGP aperture size before and was like "naw, that can't be it". I shoulda just tried. Thanks again! :)

Back