X1900 Crossfire and Tagan TG580 PSU advice

Mysterae

Gawd
I had a bit of an issue with a Tagan TG580-U15 psu when running a X1900 Crossfire setup. Jump here to read it.

Buy a PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 510 SLI PSU and sell the Tagan. The Turbo Cool 510 features a single 34A 12V rail with a 38A max load and the rating is taken with the PSU runnng at an operating temp of 40C, not a lab temp of 25C.

This means that this PSU is actually derated as compared to the majority of PSUs out there. At 25C it's actually capable of pushing well over 600W (something like 635W IIRC) so it's a far more capable PSU than the 510W rating would lead you to believe.

Those PCP&C psu's are great, but I opted for the Tagan for the modular connections, low fan noise and it's split rails. I thought the split rails was a good thing, but I know better now!

The Tagan psu will suffice I reckon, because in combine mode the blue led at the back is a good indicator of it going over 20A on the +12V rail. After OC'ing the gpu's in CCC, and running the X3 demo with everything maxxed (HQAF, AdAA, 1920x1200) the led comes on quite regularly now!

I'll stick with the Tagan for the moment unless it starts to show wobbly legs the more I push it. I think I will mod the psu - to bring that blue led from the back of the unit to somewhere I can see it better.

:D Yeah, but that was down to user error and a manual written in broken english. All is well.

Back