X1900XT Aftermarket coolers.

Slo Gun

Limp Gawd
I am looking got an aftermarket cooler that exhausts air out of the case, anybody know any plans for any?
Any other good coolers you would suggest?
I dont want something thats gonna bake the rest of the components in my case.
Thanks

Slo Gun said:
I am looking got an aftermarket cooler that exhausts air out of the case, anybody know any plans for any?
Any other good coolers you would suggest?
I dont want something thats gonna bake the rest of the components in my case.
Thanks

I would suggest taking your HS off and lapping it , It seems to give better results then any aftermarket cooler available for the X1900s.

yea maybe, im not too hot at stuff like that, i know somebody who could probably do it for me though.
Also i am quite unhappy with the noise of the stock heatsink, so was hoping for a quieter solution.
Im not that bothered about how loud it is during gaming, as im using my 7.1 :D so cant really notice it.
I do find it quite annoyin at idle tho.

Slo Gun said:
yea maybe, im not too hot at stuff like that, i know somebody who could probably do it for me though.
Also i am quite unhappy with the noise of the stock heatsink, so was hoping for a quieter solution.
Im not that bothered about how loud it is during gaming, as im using my 7.1 :D so cant really notice it.
I do find it quite annoyin at idle tho.

lapping helps drop idle temps by a fair bit which means quieter idle sound

Digital Viper-X- said:
lapping helps drop idle temps by a fair bit which means quieter idle sound

it lowers your idle temp so you can run the card fan at lower rpms which means less noise..

when doing the lapping method, do you need to apply anything to the memory, or do i just stick the heatsink straight back on.
I will use AS5 for the gpu, but have read that it should not be used on memory.

Slo Gun said:
when doing the lapping method, do you need to apply anything to the memory, or do i just stick the heatsink straight back on.
I will use AS5 for the gpu, but have read that it should not be used on memory.

No need to apply it to the memory. Unless you've raised the vMem, the memory runs pretty cool. Plus, I don't think AS5 was intended for memory chips ;)

if you scroll up he said "yea maybe, im not too hot at stuff like that, i know somebody who could probably do it for me though.
Im not that bothered about how loud it is during gaming, as im using my 7.1 so cant really notice it.
I do find it quite annoyin at idle tho."

he wants something quieter.

Yea its very noisy.
I was also hoping for something a bit cooler, as i am gettin bad artifacting during overclocking.

Im kind of nervous about putting as5 on anything...idk why i just am

Its probably the fear of putting too much on and getting it everwhere lol

Also, im getting a rig with as5 already on it. Is there a time when you need to take it off/recoat it?

if you apply AS5 make sure you put on VERY little and spread it very thin, follow the instructons because if you put too much you will hamper its performance =p

Only aftermarket cooler I know of is the Accelero X2. Doesn't exhaust heat from the chassis but seems like an excellent buy nonetheless.

The Accelero x2 gets excellent reviews. Just leave the metal slot just underneath it open so the air flows out.

I don't know why people think it HAS to blow out the case right away. You're talking about 1-2 degrees cooler for everythign else in case if it blows out. It's not a big deal. If you have good airflow in your computer it's really not that big of a deal.

jcll2002 said:
exactly why im afraid of doing it lol

If you are afraid of doing it than I suggest just putting a small drop about the size of a bb in the middle of the core and just throw the heatsink on. The pressure will spread it out. Also 9 times out of 10 unless you put some much on that it overflows on the side there is going to be a 0-1 degree difference.

i hear these cards are stll hitting 70's with a lapped cooler. I say just water cool it. Or slap a copper CPU hs on it.

menlatin said:
i hear these cards are stll hitting 70's with a lapped cooler. I say just water cool it. Or slap a copper CPU hs on it.

Most stock coolers arent the best. After market coolers will be better. Give it a month or two. Also if the thermal ceiling is anything like the Nvidia. 70 C is nothing really if that is a load temp.

True, but a 40c load temp makes for hella overclocks compared to 70c load. Thats if you're even concerned with OC'in.

menlatin said:
True, but a 40c load temp makes for hella overclocks compared to 70c load. Thats if you're even concerned with OC'in.

I doubt many high end graphic cards today have load temps of 40 C. Even my Gigabyte 7800GT on a Zf700 at 12 volts runs at around 41C at idle. Very low watt useage at idle. My 6800GT runs at around 50 C on idle on the stock cooler.

When I had my 7800GT at 445/1070 the difference in temps was 1-2 C. Maybe 3-4 C at load max.

If you are nervous about AS5 (I am too on the GPU) you can use Arctic Ceramique which is completely non-conductive and seems to work pretty well.

It's also a little runnier than AS5 so easier to spread out thinly without using too much pressure .

Putting a small blob on and mounting the HS is def. the way to apply AS5 but I don't like doing that on a bare core in case it doesn't make it to the edge before some part of the core overheats due to bad contact.

menlatin said:
Do I NEEED to point yo to the thread where the guy lapped his and forgot top plug the fan in, and was running his computer PASSIVELY at around 40c Idle after he lapped the STOCK cooler? No you say? well I say here buddy http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1017985 and a direct qoute

wanted to apply some more rubbing alcohol (50%, didn't have 99%) on the Heatsink (to make sure Brasso residue was removed). Once finished I forgot to plug the fan on and booted the computer. When I released this I took a quick snap shot of the temps. 46C at 2D mode for 45 minutes with NO FAN is nothing to sneeze at. This photo shows how effective a proper lap method is against heat.

and

Ok it's only been a few days and temps are around 37C now at idle.

WHICH MEANS he can run the cooler at lower speeds as a direct result of this :D (if he wants it queiter, personally I run my x850xt at 100% all the time)

he can run the cooler at lower speeds as a direct result of this (if he wants it queiter, personally I run my x850xt at 100% all the time)

The X850XT by no means is anywhere NEAR the jet engine noise the X18/1900 series is when the fan spins up.

I too am waitng a better cooler that exhaust out the rear.

Zalman Fatal1ty FS-V7
Zalman VF700-Cu
Zalman VF700-AlCu

All work with X1800 series according to Zalman but the compatibility list hasn't been updated since November -05 so maybe it works with the X1900 series as well.

There are a few happy x1900xtx owners with the Zalman VF-700Cu installed in this thread. Helped decrease all temps for them. There are also some who report no help with there load temps and only moderate decreases in idle temps. Seems kind of hit or miss with these new gpu's and depends on how hot the card naturally wants to run.

as he said he it worked for some people
personaly a VF700CU wasnt enough to cool my X1800 let alone put it on the 1900

Chilly said:
Do I NEEED to point yo to the thread where the guy lapped his and forgot top plug the fan in, and was running his computer PASSIVELY at around 40c Idle after he lapped the STOCK cooler? No you say? well I say here buddy http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1017985 and a direct qoute

and

WHICH MEANS he can run the cooler at lower speeds as a direct result of this :D (if he wants it queiter, personally I run my x850xt at 100% all the time)

Oh dear lord, i appolgize, but i just went throught the thread and read temps of 66, 68, 71, 83 and a 6-8 drop in load temps. So so so sorry, let me restate by 5 degrees. Temps are 65+ even with a lapped cooler.

But hey whatever. I'll get my x1900xt in 3 days, and site nice and tight @ 40c load on water. Good day sir.

EDIT : For a second there, i thought you were Chilly1. But that wouldn't make a bit of sense.

The VF700 will be fine but it may not help much with LOAD temps. I don't have excellent airflow since I don't want loud fans running, so my load temps (w/x1800) are nearly 78-80c. Fine if you're not attemping to overclock much (using CCC right now) but definitely nothing real impressive. I've heard if you have real good airflow in your case (which means noisier typically) then it will perform significantly better.

Maybe the VF900 will be better.

psychot|K said:
A X1900XT deserves respect.
It deserves...WATER!

with the exeption of the Thermaltake VGA water cooling thingie, I can find anything that is just for a GPU.
How much would it cost for a decent water cooling loop kit for CPU and GPU? and where do I get it?

You could get like an Everest system, that usually comes with chitset, cpu, and gpu, and just use the cpu and gpu block. its got 2 rads, and it may perform decent with just that. They usually run right around $100, but then i can't really comment on the quality of a 3 block "ready to go" sytem for only $100. This system is really not for overclockig though. IF you want to overclock both cpu and gpu, you HAVE to spend a sizable amount($250-300+)

I hope to be giving my X1900XT total respect very soon, my Innovatek Cool-matic should be shipping today or tomorrow. :)

Googbye whining fan, hello more OC! :D

Back