X1950 + XGL

Endurancevm

[H]ard|Gawd
Now I know that the ATI drivers are lacking behind nVidias for Linux, but is there a way to run XGL with a X1950XTX? I have read somewhere that it wasn't possible because the drivers didn't have 3D support or something of that sort. So if anyone knows a way to run XGL with an ATI card, please help.

ATI cards/drivers are definitely able to run it (and the drivers really aren't as bad as some people say). I've gotten it running on my x1800xt (although it's been a long time, and it's gone through a lot of changes since I tried it out). A quick search for "Beryl ATI" comes up with this. Scroll down to Belibem's second post, and he explains the method in full.

I haven't personally tried that method, but it should work. If not, try some more searching for ATI and Beryl (XGL is just the base, Beryl (or Compiz) are the actual window managers that give you all the eye candy). There are guides all over the internet with various methods to try.

ATI cards/drivers are definitely able to run it (and the drivers really aren't as bad as some people say). I've gotten it running on my x1800xt (although it's been a long time, and it's gone through a lot of changes since I tried it out). A quick search for "Beryl ATI" comes up with this. Scroll down to Belibem's second post, and he explains the method in full.

I haven't personally tried that method, but it should work. If not, try some more searching for ATI and Beryl (XGL is just the base, Beryl (or Compiz) are the actual window managers that give you all the eye candy). There are guides all over the internet with various methods to try.

Thank you sir! :D

Back