X2 4200/4400 good for hosting dedicated game servers?

Mr. Stryker

Supreme [H]ardness
I tend to host a dedicated server on my PC for a friend to play Ghost Recon with 85, 140 or 200 enemies on ONE single map. It tends to give me more lag on the FPS, but runs fine. What I'm wondering is would a X2 be good, one core for controlling the AI and the other for whatever the game needs. If you know what I mean.

i don't think that would work... what i mean is i don't think Ghost Recon will be able to utilize the second core because it's a fairly old game. It will most likely just unload everything on one core. But if you were hosting 2 games with that one computer i think that X2 would benefit it more.
i think you would be better off buying a really fast single core cpu.

Ah.. thanks for the quick response. Guess I'm still on for the 3700+ Newark plan.

i thought he was gonna use the system in his sig to play.....and have the X2 purely as a server

and about the quick response thingy i didn't sleep since 9pm last night studying for my final and took a break browsing the forums, perfect timing i guess

i believe he's saying he plays with his friend WHILE hosting the game, otherwise known as a listen-server. that's all one program though :-\ (at least with CS 1.5/1.6, and probably the same way with the older games).

isnt there a dedicated server he could use? He could start that first, which would be on one core, and then start the game on the other. that'd work.

Back