X2, how I love you so!

Tutelary said:
the OS doesnt need you to part out cores to tasks, it will schedule threads more evenly itself, automatically, between cores. You're defeating optimization by being stupid. Have fun being dense.
You know what I really think? You're an idiot, yes...I really do. I see nothing wrong in setting out what program I want to run where. I don't do it for every single application, just those I want to run on seperate ones.

What's your problem anyways? Seriously, just leave my thread.

After working out some initially misdiagnosed problems in my new X2 4800 machine, I can now say without any doubt that I do love this chip as well!

Retro_X said:
You know what I really think? You're an idiot, yes...I really do. I see nothing wrong in setting out what program I want to run where. I don't do it for every single application, just those I want to run on seperate ones.

What's your problem anyways? Seriously, just leave my thread.

Wow, I've never seen anyone so hostile at simply being helped over something so small. Didn't get to level up in WoW or something today?

Tutelary said:
Wow, I've never seen anyone so hostile at simply being helped over something so small. Didn't get to level up in WoW or something today?
Err, you're being the ass here. Not me. And no I don't play WoW :confused:

i thought it was common knowledge that when it came to multi-cores - Windows was retarded in utilising them effectively.

so i think ppl who manually assign CPU chores are going the right direction.

lets hope VISTA gets multi-cores/multi-threading processing right.

Kryptonite said:
i thought it was common knowledge that when it came to multi-cores - Windows was retarded in utilising them effectively.

so i think ppl who manually assign CPU chores are going the right direction.

lets hope VISTA gets multi-cores/multi-threading processing right.

only you're wrong. I'm not going to bother to fight with a bunch of newly registered people who just got their duals anyway, christ. assign away, assign until you turn blue. Its not worth sitting and assigning things all day to scrape a few percent that you may or may not get here or there, even if you use affinity launchers. It defeats the purpose of moving to a dual core, which was providing more time for workflow or simple enjoyment. I'd hate to see the afinity list you have to come up with if you use your computer with any wide variety of programs dynamically.

I LOVE my dual core...

I always loved SMP, and the x2 3800 put SMP in my hands at a very good price point.

Now my home PC is better then the best machine I have ever had at work...

I love being able to run VMs without a performance hit too... I no longer have a seperate server and use a VM for all that now.

i upgraded from a 3000+ venice s939 @ 2.7ghz to my current opty 165 @ 2.8ghz and i didn't really notice a speed difference, there is when i'm using DVD shrink though, its about 2 minutes faster. also everything ran much more smooth with a dual core, i love it.

when experimenting with Core/CPU affinity settings, remember that Windows system processes should never have an affinity set. it would be bad.

i edited my original post to include this, but then the mud began to fly.

nothing wrong with experimenting if you are willing to accept that you may screw things up. and even then, if you learned from it, it was not a waste of time. Enjoy your new dual core, i love my X2 and i have not begun to puch it to see what it will do.

Tutelary said:
only you're wrong. I'm not going to bother to fight with a bunch of newly registered people who just got their duals anyway, christ. assign away, assign until you turn blue. Its not worth sitting and assigning things all day to scrape a few percent that you may or may not get here or there, even if you use affinity launchers. It defeats the purpose of moving to a dual core, which was providing more time for workflow or simple enjoyment. I'd hate to see the afinity list you have to come up with if you use your computer with any wide variety of programs dynamically.
I don't do it fo every single program I have running on my entire PC. Just those I wish to run on each seperate cores, like FRAPS and a game. Or Winamp and a game, or whatever. It just makes me feel in control and I know the apps are running on different cores. ;)

yeah I use SMP seesaw for quick affinity switches... I use it at work too on our quad core opteron box, and also on my intel HT machine (MAX renders faster on a single logical core with HT)

I hardly EVER need it at the house esp. with xp64... with /usepmtimer in the boot.ini, the scheduler is pretty good on it's own... though when I am doing an ton of video rendering, to game during, it helps to isolate the game to a core and everything else on the other one. but how often am I needing to do that? maybe a couple times a month... so I hardly touch the affinity.

Just got mine and loving it so far! First new system in 2.5 years, check out my sig!

Tutelary said:

i have nothing assigned manually but i see the point whhy ppl are doing so.

moving to multi-core is almost defeated thanks to a crappy OS - lets face it XP was never fully intended to accommodate mutiple cores.

i think u should calm down and read what i actually posted.

you must be young... SMP has been around for a long time... windows NT fully supported SMP, and of course so did windows 2000, and XP is based on these kernels... so XP handles SMP just fine and dandy...

The OS just doesn't do that much that needs to be threaded... it's job is to schedule CPU time for the applications, but pretty much stay out of the way most of the time. who cares if the core OS processes are multithreaded or not as long as the applications can take advantage of your X number of cores. In fact... you WANT it to be this way... if the OS is needing the power of two or more cores for itself then it would be too bloated.

i wish i was young.

SMP - tell us where thats used and there is your answer.

WINDOWS is poor when it comes to handling multi-CPUs.

you really have no idea what you are talking about do you...

SMP (symmetric multi processing, since you seem to not know) is used in many many windows apps... especially on the server side.

Off the top of my head, these are apps that I have used that benefit directly from SMP that I have used recently.

Photoshop, Aftereffects, 3dsMAX, various audio softwares, IIS server, encoding/decoding softwares... Quake4.

and any single thread app benefits indirectly from SMP because you can run several at the same time while losing only a small amount of performance (depends on the architecture... on intel there are higher diminishing returns, but it's not because of the OS)

Windows handles several cores fine... especially on AMD boxes... I have a quad core opteron box (two socket dual core) here at my office... I can run 4 threads at full speed. it is like having 4 computers in one. I can run several virtual machines at full speed and have a couple cores to spare for 3dsMAX, for example.

It runs windows, BTW... that's the os you said couldn't handle SMP. Windows 2003 can handle 16 or more cores just fine...

I got x2 3800+ my apple HD movie so smoother now. It was choking before on my 2.7ghz amd64 oblivion seem smoother too in controlling.

But I got a BH-E4 revision and not a E6. Damn that pissed me off at stock speed it runs 50-57*c. At 2.6ghz its unstable and runs 63-70*c core 0 reaches 80*c and it fail prime in under 10sec. Why are they selling me 3 year old stepping grr.

*update now I got it to [email protected] its at 48*c running one sp2004 on core 0 seem okay so far. But had to remove the ihs and pad it for my heatsink.

I dont think you get it. this is done automatically for you. You have absolutely no reason to do it. This would be akin to you setting the time on your clock every minute manually.

That's NOT true. Try running 2 instances of Prime 95 on Blend... Notice how both cores arn't being pushed to 100%?

If the world were perfect your computer would be able to assign tasks perfectly... But it cannot. It's pretty damn good at it, but I agree, sometimes I want only ONE program running on ONE CERTAIN core.

The HD bottleneck is also not as huge as you make it out to be... Once an item is loaded into RAM the bottleneck almost dissapears. Sure, the initial opening of a program of a file has a hit on overall system performance... I mean, it makes sense that 2 programs would fight for HD bandwidth, but that's what NQC, file caching and shadowing are for...

I agree, the difference between SMP and dual core affinity autoassignment are huge...

I'm not going to bother to fight with a bunch of newly registered people who just got their duals anyway

And dude, the difference between being a Noobie and a 2[H]4u here on this forum should have NO impact on the way you treat them. Grow Up.

Yashu said:
you really have no idea what you are talking about do you...

SMP (symmetric multi processing, since you seem to not know) is used in many many windows apps... especially on the server side.

and any single thread app benefits indirectly from SMP because you can run several at the same time while losing only a small amount of performance (depends on the architecture... on intel there are higher diminishing returns, but it's not because of the OS)

It runs windows, BTW... that's the os you said couldn't handle SMP. Windows 2003 can handle 16 or more cores just fine...

oh gee thanks....

i think everyone on this forum knows wat SMP is and if they didnt, they could have googled it in 0.253 seconds for an answer - we certainly dont need someone like you for that answer.

Yashu said:
Off the top of my head, these are apps that I have used that benefit directly from SMP that I have used recently.

Photoshop, Aftereffects, 3dsMAX, various audio softwares, IIS server, encoding/decoding softwares... Quake4.

well thats wonderful - except u forget these apps were programmed to use multi-CPUs.
ie. bypass windows 'auto' affinity.

infact its only the Quake4 engine (as of this date) that specifically sees a real performance boost from Dual Cores - no other games sees the same boost.

Yashu said:

see above - most apps that see boost are already programmed to USE MULTIPLE CPUs.

yes - run it several times, in other words Windows cant do it.

Yashu said:
Windows handles several cores fine... especially on AMD boxes... I have a quad core opteron box (two socket dual core) here at my office... I can run 4 threads at full speed. it is like having 4 computers in one. I can run several virtual machines at full speed and have a couple cores to spare for 3dsMAX, for example.

well congrats mr. bs artist.

seeing mutiple CPUs and handling them effectively are 2 different things.

Lets get back to the core argument your having a spasm about:

you claim that Windows is such a great OS that nothing needs to be done.

your forgetting that even the smallest app like Prime95 needs to be run in two instances - MANUALLY.

wat does this suggest to you?

windows is not the GREAT AUTOMATIC OS you think it is.

if it was why would AMD and MS release patches for DC?

why do game benchmarks see almost zero performance increase?

why do games have to be specifically programmed to advantage DC?

come on the two of you are making this thread lame....

grow up and stop arguing.....

really stop, or start PM each other I dont care to read it and I doubt anyone but yourselves enjoys it....

you didn't realise this, but your example, ironically, supports my view.

Prime95 is coded to begin on the IDLE process... if the prime95 processes were launched as normal priority, you will see both combined using 100% of CPU... just as expected.

Before you go and try to cite examples, please do your research.

Windows handles SMP just fine... and that is the truth, my friend.

EDIT: Adidas4275, you are right... I am done.

I <3 my X2 4000+. It easily OC's to 2.4 ghz with 1.35V, would probably work at stock 1.3 too but I just started OC'ing with it. The only thing holding me back is my M2N-SLI Deluxe. It has issues with booting with certain FSB/RAM settings. Once I get a BIOS fix for this though...going to be sick.

I'm coming from an athlon xp 2600+ and 9600xt...just wow.

I have the M2n-SLI. Try the new BIOS 0402 it solved alot of problems for me with my PQI ram. I am new to the dual core , my quick question in a nut shell is do I need to install any extra driver or program when running dual core to get the performance?

1. TO the OP - Why don't you MARRY IT?!? :p

2. I sometimes wonder why my computer bogs down doing certain things with my X2. Sure games are smooth as can be but every now and then when opening more than one thing I get some slowness that makes me think "where the hell is the bottleneck? This should not slow down THIS pc..." Perhaps it's the hdd. Perhaps I use the computer too much...

Arcygenical said:
The HD bottleneck is also not as huge as you make it out to be... Once an item is loaded into RAM the bottleneck almost dissapears. Sure, the initial opening of a program of a file has a hit on overall system performance... I mean, it makes sense that 2 programs would fight for HD bandwidth, but that's what NQC, file caching and shadowing are for...

And if you're doing something like encoding video, running a virus scan, etc? Hello?

Back