x2 or san deigo?

alldat

Weaksauce
what should i get, the x2 3800? or the san deigo 3700? i dont multi-task that much, i would love to be able to run my ant-virus and play games at the same time without getting a performance hit. will the 3700 be able to do that or should i pay the extra 90 bucks and get the x2. how fast will the x2 3800 be compard the the 3700 san deigo? is it slower or faster?

It's 200Mhz slower, and only has 512MB of L2 Cache per die. San Diego has 1MB cache.

Kyle said the X2's provide the best experience at desktop level he's ever had. Personally I'd go with the 3800+. I bought a San Diego 3700 a month and half ago since all the X2's were still super pricey... but they are already looking like a nice choice.

I'd get the X2 if you can afford the difference, as that's where everythings going to go as it is...and being 2GHz cores, they may have some overclockability room there.

i would def go for the 3800+ at this point. only 100 bucks more, better overall performance

thinks i think its going to be the x2, hey kyle if your reading what do you think. :cool:

will the Unreal 3 engine be able to use dual cores?

which CPU would better (factoring in the price "bang for the buck") for UnReal 3

90nm 3700+ San Diego (large cache and maybe turn the multi down to 10X and use fast RAM..270 to 290MHz) $325

90nm 3800+ X2 Manchester (small cache with 240MHz RAM for 2.64GHz) $400

130nm 4000+ 'Hammer (large cache and overclocked to 3.0GHz+) $470

90nm 4400+ X2 Toledo (large cache with 255MHz RAM for 2.8GHz) $700

x2 most definantly. It will provide smooth performance all around. You can overclock it to 2.6 ghz also. Also, games in the next few years will become multithreaded and at this time an x2 will demolish a single core in games. :D

Actually it's only a few months away. Bethesda has stated that Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion will fully utilize the 2nd core.

This was a question I was wondering too.
3700 san diego or 3800 x2?

The san diego seems to overclock pretty good and is slightly cheaper.

The 3800+ x2 is not out in quanity yet so how does anyone really know what they will overclock like? When 3800's are in the hands of the masses instead of just review sites then we'll know.The current x2 cores that are out don't seem to match the overclocking ability of the 3700+.

Of course the x2 will handle background apps, along with multi threaded games and programs. It also is more expensive.

Waiting to see how they overclock for most people would be the best way to decide. If they match what review sites are seeing then the way to go is probably the 3800+.

Also it remains to be seen what advantage multi threaded cores will have in these upcoming games. I can't imagine that it will be very different because of the sheer user base that will still use single cores. Is the advantage 3.0 shader sized advantage? Or are we talking a 500 mhz overclock sized advantage?

well after alot of swaying back and fourth, i decided not to go with either processor, the 4000 just fell into my price range oh yeh, check this out and enjoy. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item =N82E16819103529 :cool:

alldat said:
well after alot of swaying back and fourth, i decided not to go with either processor, the 4000 just fell into my price range oh yeh, check this out and enjoy. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item =N82E16819103529 :cool:

Cant say I woulda done the same...you may be better off in the gaming department but in just about everything else the X2 would beat the SD, almost easily.

Just my two cents.

Adam.

Good luck on the overclock report back. I plan on getting on in a couple of weeks.

I've been messing around for a while with a PII 266 duallie. Yes you read that right, the second slowest PII made. I have 256 meg of RAM and am running WinXP. I'm surprised at how well the thing runs. I got rid of my old PIII 700 at work several months ago and I think I can do things much more smoothly on the dually 266.

I also have a bias towards dual core with some of what I do. I don't worry about overall clock speed as much and the dual core setup will give me exactly what I'm looking for. I've been wanting a modern dually for years but just couldn't afford it. The X2's will give me exactly that for a lot cheaper than a good dually system.

And no, the X2's probably won't overclock as well as similarly clocked single core processors. A dual core processor setup is much more complex which generally means lower overclocks. Just ask people with overclocked dually machines. They don't usually get as high as single CPU machines and can usually stick the CPUs in a single CPU mobo and get a higher overclock out of it. Dual core won't have as many problems since it's just a single processor with two cores instead of two physical CPUs on a mobo. But it still normally won't clock as high.

AndoOKC1 said:
none of the benchmarks ive seen show the 3800+ X2 being great at games...the single core is clearly more dominant

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2484&p=10
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3261_3524426__7

Tell me again what resolutions their benching at. You really think you could tell a difference between a 4000+ and an X2 3800+ both running stock speeds at 1280x1024 or 1600x1200? I think your lieing if you say yes :). If you want the best gaming performance then buy the most expensive video card. The CPU isn't going to make but a small fps difference in 95% of games because their prodominantly GPU intensive and the GPU is doing all the heavy work. For everything else on a PC, especially multitasking, an X2 will rape a single core A64. Even a Pentium 4 w/ HyperThreading is smoother to run then a single core A64.

burningrave101 said:
Tell me again what resolutions their benching at. You really think you could tell a difference between a 4000+ and an X2 3800+ both running stock speeds at 1280x1024 or 1600x1200? I think your lieing if you say yes :).

I can personally see the difference betwen 96FPS and 102FPS. No joke.

I am a no-good liar

I recommend the amd 64 3700+ because the 3800 x-2 is nice but the dual core doesen't help because it is underpowered. If you can stretch to a 4400 x-2 then i could reccomend it. It's like low end P4 with HP, they lack the pushing power to show pwerformance in games ect.

ellover009 said:
I recommend the amd 64 3700+ because the 3800 x-2 is nice but the dual core doesen't help because it is underpowered. If you can stretch to a 4400 x-2 then i could reccomend it. It's like low end P4 with HP, they lack the pushing power to show pwerformance in games ect.

Out of curiosity, have you ever used a dual core or multi processor system?

If you have, you'd probably never reccommend a single cpu system to anyone. My 4200+ is a lot smoother and seems just as fast in games as the 2.7ghz Venice I used prior to it.

robberbaron said:
Out of curiosity, have you ever used a dual core or multi processor system?

If you have, you'd probably never reccommend a single cpu system to anyone. My 4200+ is a lot smoother and seems just as fast in games as the 2.7ghz Venice I used prior to it.

Hey robberbaron, i am curious what all do you have running upon bootup?

How much memory do you have allocated?

Bigjohns97 said:
Hey robberbaron, i am curious what all do you have running upon bootup?

How much memory do you have allocated?

Upon boot, it's close to 260mb out of 2 gigs. I have two instances of folding, though those don't really interfere with anything.

Looking to buy a chip today/tomorrow to go in a DFI NF3 board replacing my IS7 system in Sig.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail
$290
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail
$380

Just worried that going from a HT machine back to a single core might suck. I enjoy listening to Music, playing WoW at 1600x1200, and having my Folding@home running in the background.

Back