x264 1080P playback..

gaspah

2[H]4U
Ok, i've got a number of 1080P matroska x264/AAC files that my 8800GTX just slaughters... it st-st-st-st-stutters like a motherfucker... now i hear that this is because the 8800GTX doesnt have some part of the hardware h264 decoder... apparently its little brother 8600GT does have :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

ok its not settings.. ive used CoreAVC, ffdshow, cccp,... ra ra ra. VMR9 VMR7 Overlay ra ra ra... if somebody who owns a 8800GTX can say otherwise im all ears..

question is... if i waste more of my precious hard-earned money on a Radeon HD 48x0 video card.. am i gonna be able to play back these files PERFECTLY??? gaming performance i dont care as long as it is on par with my 8800GTX... the 4850 is faster than 8800GTX? or is that just the 4870??

either way i hope someone can tell me PLS :) thx [H]

Well it's not the vid card that's at fault. I can play back 1080P mkv files using VMR9 perfectly with my 7900GS using CoreAVC.

snip me 30seconds of the video and ill test it for you.

is not 1 file.. i have 5 files that are all the same.. although one animated movie plays pretty well most of the way through except for 2 or 3 really 'busy' scenes

also, try with vlc media player - uses internal codecs

done that

Try using the CoreAVC or Cyberlink h264 codecs + MPC (Media Player Classic)

done that (except for the Cyberlink one i'll look for that)

Well it's not the vid card that's at fault. I can play back 1080P mkv files using VMR9 perfectly with my 7900GS using CoreAVC.

hmmm not a 8800GTX but is prev gen.. i'll look at that nvidia chart again... see if it has the h264 decoder thingo..

i have onboard HDMI that plays 1080p films perfectly using vlc

surely that graphics card would be well up to scratch for this sorta stuff

you'd think so.. it plays back 720p perfect.. and 1080P HDTV perfect... but hmmm

oh and the person with the 7900GS are you running Vista? im running ultimate x64...

Let me guess.. you're running a 780g chipset-based AMD system? Possibly a Gigabyte motherboard?

THing is, the 780G has hardware decode for VC1 and x264, which the older G80 based GPUs didn't have fully IIRC. That said, if he's got a beefy enough PC, it really shouldn't be an issue, heck, my s939 4200+ X2 plays 1080p files with an old 7900GTO.

THing is, the 780G has hardware decode for VC1 and x264, which the older G80 based GPUs didn't have fully IIRC. That said, if he's got a beefy enough PC, it really shouldn't be an issue, heck, my s939 4200+ X2 plays 1080p files with an old 7900GTO.

is e6700@ 3.12GHz, 8GiB DDR2-800, 8800GTX, GA-965P-DS3P, Raid0 OS drive 372GB, Raid5 data 2.54TB 'beefy' enough??

you'd think so.. it plays back 720p perfect.. and 1080P HDTV perfect... but hmmm

oh and the person with the 7900GS are you running Vista? im running ultimate x64...

It shouldn't be a problem for the GTX. I have a G80 8800GTS, run Vista x64, have a Gigabyte motherboard, and mkv files play fine for me. Even without hardware acceleration, CPU usage on my E6600 is usually only between 9-20% for 720-1080P movies. I would try uninstall all your codecs and possibly your vid card drivers and start again.

I have an 8800GTX on an Opteron [email protected] and I can play 1080p encodes just fine...hell even my 3200+/1 GB/S3 S27 HTPC can play properly encoded 1080p vids. Its all in the codecs and I use CoreAVC and CCCP.

Step 1. Install CCCP with all defaults, except uncheck h.264 decoding

cccp_setting_01.png

Step 2. Install CoreAVC with all defaults
Step 3. Enjoy 1080p pr0n

(3 minuets later)

Step 4. see step #3

{edit}

Works best when no other codecs have been installed. Also picture quality is better in MPC than VLC, I think because VLC uses its own codec and not the one with CoreAVC.

damnit.. i've been googling for ages on how to get it to playback smooth... and 5 mins reading a sticky and a few more minutes uninstalling/installing codecs.. and its silky smooth.. i feel like such a moron.... omg... i'm just gonna go cower in shame :(

thanx everyone for the help... :/

that was my mistake.. right there... got it in one..

Although slightly off topic... is there a CUDA enabled h.264 decoder available? I remember reading about it.

The KMPlayer (not to be confused with kmplayer) is an excellent app. Just tried it out recently & it holds its own against the rest.

Ok, i've got a number of 1080P matroska x264/AAC files that my 8800GTX just slaughters... it st-st-st-st-stutters like a motherfucker... now i hear that this is because the 8800GTX doesnt have some part of the hardware h264 decoder... apparently its little brother 8600GT does have :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

ok its not settings.. ive used CoreAVC, ffdshow, cccp,... ra ra ra. VMR9 VMR7 Overlay ra ra ra... if somebody who owns a 8800GTX can say otherwise im all ears..

question is... if i waste more of my precious hard-earned money on a Radeon HD 48x0 video card.. am i gonna be able to play back these files PERFECTLY??? gaming performance i dont care as long as it is on par with my 8800GTX... the 4850 is faster than 8800GTX? or is that just the 4870??

either way i hope someone can tell me PLS :) thx [H]

Dude, I have an X2 4400+ and I can play back 1080p perfectly with CoreAVC, not with ffdshow, however. You're doing something wrong. A quadcore such as a Q6600 should be able to play 1080p without even using CoreAVC.

BTW, +1 to the guy that recommended CCCP, which is far better than the failure that is VLC with its outdated internal codecs, crappy softsub handling, artifacts on seek, etc. Just don't use VLC. Really, don't.

I had the same problem - 720p works fine but 1080p goes to hell. Best bet is this guide: http://forums.boxtorrents.com/index.php?topic=10948.0 but the ultimate solution I found is switching from x64 to x86. That solved it for me, using same codecs, drivers, settings, everything except OS (I did multiple clean installs of x64 and x86 to figure this out =.=) I was unable to play a 1080p video on x64 but switching back to x86 rendered it watchable again. Something prolly to do with 64bit drivers I think. Was very disappointed, bought 4GB of ram thinking my switch to x64 would improve performance and whatnot but the inability to play my high-res videos (anime!) totally killed it for me.

p.s. Delete everything, all codecs and whatnot and just use Media Player Classic Home Cinema newest build (from sourceforge, remember the HOME CINEMA tag). Set your settings according to the boxtorrent guide and try it out. No guarantees though, it improved it for me but didn't solve it.

I think VLC doesn't support hardware acceleration for HD, anyone wanna confirm that, or am I just pulling stuff out of my ass?

That's right.
Here are some h.264 decoders and their status:
CoreAVC - Software only decoder <--- best results I have seen
FFDshow - Software only
VLC - Software only
Cyberlink - Hardware support
WinDVD - Hardware support
Nvidia Purevideo - Software only
Arcsoft - Hardware support

*decoders with software only will get no benefit from the video card. YHou might as well have a cheapest card you can get when using a software decoder.

The hardware decoders have limitations with MKV/x264 videos that are encoded with too many reference frames. The person who encodes the x264 have to put in special considerations for people who use hardware decoding, if they dont care then the video will be choppy when using hardware decoding. This is why I cant use Cyberlink or Windvd (havn't tried ArcSoft yet because I have success with CoreAVC)

Software decoders have limitations with bitrate. I found a 1080p video that was 42minutes long and was 9GB in size. That is a huge bitrate and it was choppy with FFDshow. I switched to CoreAVC and now have no problems.

When debugging different decoders how do you know which decoder is actually being used? If you have multiple h.264 encoders installed then there is a preference setting in the registry that must be configured to give preference to the codec you want. Also some players can/will ignore the preference settings. I wonder if the whole time you have been trying different decoders that you have actually been using the same decoder and not switching the setting internally.

Specs of my HTPC:
E6750 @2.66
2GB DDR-800
Gigabyte P35 motherboard
8600GT
Vista 32bit

AHHHH x264 is the bane of all HD! I probably tried about four or five different codecs before I got my files to play correctly.
You guessed it. CoreAVC is the only thing that will play them. LOL I love how Nvidia is like oh yea the G80 won't decode these files for shit even though a $40 card will. Total crap.:p

I have an opty 165 @2.6. I have been pondering getting a BD drive but I just don't want to spend $200 for a drive, then another $200 dollars for some software that it should have come with from the beginning.:mad:

Back