X360: NFS:MW or PGR3?

CasvalEpoch

Weaksauce
Abbreviations pwn u. I like the NFS series, and liked NFS:U2, but I've never played any PGR game. Since none of the other launch games look very interesting to me, and I have to have SOMETHING to play until DOA4 comes out, which racing game should I get? What does the PGR series play like? Arcade? Realistic handling? The graphics sure do look nice, and I dig the GothamTV thing. On the other hand, one of the things I loved about Hot Pursuit 2 was the cop chases, and those appear to be back with MW. Also, MW's graphics look pretty good as well.

So, any thoughts?

I'm waiting for DOA4 aswell. PGR has always been more arcade then sim. NFS should be fun for arcade like racing aswell. I think NFS is a safe bet, but PGR looks really good.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
No question...PGR3 is just a better game.

I know you are a PGR fanatic...but still have you played both games.... I dont think you have in which case you simply cant make a statement like that. If you have played both games then I you could...although it would still be opinion rather than your stated fact there.

I played PGR3 ( on a 360 @ EB games ) and I played the NFS:MW demo on my computer ( everything maxed out )

Theres just no comparison. Graphics and sound completely own Most Wanted ( Honestly, there is NO compitition there ) Gameplay? Well I donno, depends on the person. I didn't find MW that fun, the steering for both cars in the demo ( normal and modified ) sucked balls, and the cops were just...stupid. So...IMO

Graphics: PGR3
Sound: PGR3
Gameplay: PGR3

The feeling you get when you hear the the RUF 911 while in the cockpit view is unlike any other...Plus, the cars in PGR feel like they actually have weight to them and racing dynamics.

I didn't like the NFSU 1 and 2 games at all, but i have been having a blast with the MW demo on my pc here. I did go pick up PGR3 because i knew it was going to be a great game, i liked the first 2 quite a bit and figured this couldn't go wrong.

The reviews seem good, PGR seems at around an 8.5 and NFS at around an 8. about even, so i'm just going with PGR, it seems to have a much more robust online component and i think the depth of driving controls in PGR games are far superior to that of NFS games.

Gamespot: PGR 8.8 > NFS 8.4
IGN: PGR 8.8 > NFS 8.0

- if you like those sites.

The thing that convinced me to buy PGR was watching the video review on Gamespot. The guy talking struggles pretty badly, but the footage of racing from the in car view really makes me want that game. Online PGR looks to be awesome, too.

If you like car games I would get both. I think they're different but both are worth owning.
If you have to choose I might go with PGR 3. The graphics are definitely better, I suspect the controls and physics will be too. Plus it has many more licensed cars and real cities to race in. But I've played MW on pc already so I know how fun it is. A large part of the appeal to me are the police chases. The actual racing is good enough but not perfect.

PGR is definately more "sim"my than NFS. If you like the series better, why change your choice? Better visuals? Pffft... Unless you plan on getting NFS MW for your PC, and have a good gamepad/steering wheel, get NFS instead, as you sound like you'll enjoy it more. It's got all the things that make the series great. Whereas PGR3 is a "untested waters" type thing for you. You may buy it and find it looks nice, but is boring compared to the rush of the police chases and such. I'd say get NFS first, and then down the line you can rent PGR3 and see if you like it enough to buy it.

In summary:
NFS MW = almost sure enjoyment
PGR 3 = "wow your friends" game that you may like, but you don't know for sure.

Alternatively, you could rent PGR2 for Xbox and see if you enjoy it. PGR3 is pretty much the exact same game, with added Live features and obviously better graphics, so if you like PGR2, you'll like PGR3. If I were you, I'd get NFS, though.

Maybe it is me, but NFS Most Wanted does look better then PGR3 at 1280x1024 4xaa 16xaf and everything maxed to me.

PGR3 is sitting in front of me I bought is this week. I just installed NFS:MW and am liking it alot because its more like hot pursuit. PGR3 looks alot better though and really cool online with gotham tv.

PGR3. I tried the demo for the new NFS game, and the second they put me in a frickin' Civic, I wept once more. Seriously, does anyone remember when NFS had cool shit like the Indigo concept? (Which is in PGR3 - can't wait to take it for a spin.) I gave NFS:MW a second shot, and took an 05 Mustang GT for a spin. This time, I'm behind the wheel of my baby (okay, wishful thinking, I drive the V6) and it's just not working for me - I don't feel as in-control as I would in PGR, where you can feel the weight of the car (it could be the fact that the steering was doing this weirdass not-quite-centering thing, even though my gamepad's calibrated). The cops are a lot of fun, and I'm glad they're back, but this just isn't the NFS I grew up on, and it's not changed for the better.

So, that's my vote for PGR3: no lame subculture crap (this is toned down in MW vs. Underground), cooler cars (06 Shelby GT500 vs. Honda Civic - which would you prefer?), and physics that convey weight, momentum, and control. PGR's not perfect (I prefer Forza over PGR2, and expect the same for Forza 2 vs. PGR3) but it's still miles ahead of NFS.

How anyone can ask this in the first place is beyond me. PGR3 all the way. Hell, i'd take PGR2 over NFS: MW

steviep said:
Alternatively, you could rent PGR2 for Xbox and see if you enjoy it. PGR3 is pretty much the exact same game, with added Live features and obviously better graphics, so if you like PGR2, you'll like PGR3. If I were you, I'd get NFS, though.

Dunno why I didn't think of this before.. Think I'll go visit BB tomorrow and see if they have it in. Thanks for the comments guys. :)

I'd drop them both and go out and get yourself a copy of Microsoft's Midtown Madness before its to late!

[H]

I got my 360 today and i have been playing the shit out of PGR3, I am liking it a lot. I just saved up enough money to buy the F50 or F150 or whatever the most expensive car in the game is. 1.3 million lol. But that shit is fun to drive. I would highly recommend PGR if you were thinking about getting it.

JonnyK said:
I got my 360 today and i have been playing the shit out of PGR3, I am liking it a lot. I just saved up enough money to buy the F50 or F150 or whatever the most expensive car in the game is. 1.3 million lol. But that shit is fun to drive. I would highly recommend PGR if you were thinking about getting it.

Yeeah ive been hearing nothing but positive stuff about this game...can't wait to tear it up online! Quick question...do cars reflect on other cars in this game?

JonnyK said:

Dude, I am so jealous :)

I'm still debating on whether to freeze my ass and get an xbox 360, or just get a second video card. The only reason i'm not 100% sold on the x360 is that i'm a big FPS fan, and FPS's are just wierd without a mouse.

junehhan said:
Dude, I am so jealous :)

I'm still debating on whether to freeze my ass and get an xbox 360, or just get a second video card. The only reason i'm not 100% sold on the x360 is that i'm a big FPS fan, and FPS's are just wierd without a mouse.

Do you really need a second card to play the exact same games you would with a single?

Yes, as it would allow me to really crank up the AA. It never bothered me at one time, but Jaggies are starting to annoy me for some reason. I also like having games with frame rates hovering around 60 as 30 can even look choppy at times for me.

Just in case anyone's wondering, I did go out and rent PGR2 and played it for about 2 hours or so. I also went to Gamespot and reread both their NFSMW and PGR3 reviews, looked at any and all screenshots and videos I could find, and decided on PGR3.

Playing it felt fairly arcadey, which is something I like(could never get into games like Gran Turismo or Forza). Whoever said the cars feel like they have more weight to them is right. More realistic than NFS but still not as realistic as Forza, this is about as realistic as I'd want to get in a racing game, but in a good way.

What also got me a bit more interested in PGR3 was the amount of cars, and the accurately modeled interiors. Immersion is something of a rare art in games these days, so the in-the-driver's-seat view is very compelling to me. Should definitely feel immersed sitting infront of my 37" LCD HDTV.

The online component is also very interesting. I'm not the greatest at racing games, so the opti-match sounds like a real winning feature, since it'll put me up against people with the same skill as me. And the Gotham TV thing just sounds cool, being able to watch a live race from any angle seems like it'll be really awesome. I wonder if viewers will be able to hear the racers' voices?

And finally, yes, another reason for me to choose PGR3 is the graphics. Unfortunately, I can't really make a solid opinion on graphics since I don't have either of the actual games in my hands. I just have to go with what screenshots and videos show me. But, PGR3 just seems more realistic to me in terms of visual quality. NFSMW looks really great too, but, I dunno, the backgrounds seem a little too "busy" to me, like they tried to make tiny insignificant details stand out when they shouldn't. PGR3 looks more subdued, but in a good, more realistic way. Also, racing in real-world cities sounds more interesting to me than driving in some made-up town.

So, guess that's it. PGR3 for me.

Well there you go. Personally, I tend to get multiplatform games on PC anyway as it's usually the best way to go. PGR3 can only be had on the X360, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Glad we could help :)

Kevin Lowe said:
PGR3. I tried the demo for the new NFS game, and the second they put me in a frickin' Civic, I wept once more. Seriously, does anyone remember when NFS had cool shit like the Indigo concept? (Which is in PGR3 - can't wait to take it for a spin.) I gave NFS:MW a second shot, and took an 05 Mustang GT for a spin. This time, I'm behind the wheel of my baby (okay, wishful thinking, I drive the V6) and it's just not working for me - I don't feel as in-control as I would in PGR, where you can feel the weight of the car (it could be the fact that the steering was doing this weirdass not-quite-centering thing, even though my gamepad's calibrated). The cops are a lot of fun, and I'm glad they're back, but this just isn't the NFS I grew up on, and it's not changed for the better.

So, that's my vote for PGR3: no lame subculture crap (this is toned down in MW vs. Underground), cooler cars (06 Shelby GT500 vs. Honda Civic - which would you prefer?), and physics that convey weight, momentum, and control. PGR's not perfect (I prefer Forza over PGR2, and expect the same for Forza 2 vs. PGR3) but it's still miles ahead of NFS.

There aren't any Civics in Most Wanted.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Yeeah ive been hearing nothing but positive stuff about this game...can't wait to tear it up online! Quick question...do cars reflect on other cars in this game?

yeah everything reflects and it looks amazing

I played both games extensively over the weekend and I'm glad I bought them both. If you are looking for that true to life, realistic racing experience, then PGR3 is definitely for you. Everything is modeled and represented perfectly. The game is a blast to play.

Now on the other hand, if you are looking for the high-adrenaline arcade-style racing experience, NFS:MW is quite entertaining. It's great because not only do you get to unlock and earn more cars, you can customize your car anyway you want, which is quite a nice reward after spending so much time with the game.

I haven't had a chance to play either of these on Xbox Live yet but I'm sure they both hold their own and offer a serious amount of replay value.

midnight madness dub edition anyone ?

i've played all three and MMDB is the one i had the most fun with.

PGR3 is too simulation-like and their customization and range of veihicles is downright
boring, though i think their racing environemnts are the best of the three.

MMDB has just sick customization features and a huge list of vehicles. i think their
customization options actually gives you a larger impression of the number of vehicles
because they allow the most creative freedom. look at what you can do just with the
wheels:

1- resize rim size
2- resize tire width ( front OR back )
3- select from dozens of custom rims.
4- color the rims
5- select from about a dozen different tires.

Back