x38 vs x48

I wouldn't mind getting one of the nice x48's with DDR2 support and then getting a Q9450 and OCing that thing to 4Ghz or so with a nice 500Mhz FSB.

I wouldn't mind getting one of the nice x48's with DDR2 support and then getting a Q9450 and OCing that thing to 4Ghz or so with a nice 500Mhz FSB.

I haven't worked with the Q9450 yet but I can tell you that I have tested an X48 board capable of doing exactly that.

Thanks for the fast reply and answers. Not sure if we are on the same page about 'voltage damper'. I'm refering to the feature on the P5K Premium that eliminates vdroop under load (heck mine even overvolts a litte hehe) while the Asus website describes EPU as a power saving feature that disables 4 phases of the power circuitry when the cpu is idle. Based on everything I have read here and on XS there is no voltage damper option in the x38 boards but a pencil mod does the trick. It was such a useful feature and put Asus P35 boards above the rest, I have no idea why they would remove it.

I believe you are thinking about the "Loadline Calibration" setting? All their newer boards have it including x38 and x48 offerings and it works like a champ:)

Edit- btw, wasn't that just added to the p5k with the 07xx series bios?
Edit2- nvm, i see you are referring to the premium whereas i thought of the deluxe

So what's the latest on the release date for the X48's...the ASUS especially?

HardOCP...care to sell me your test model, lol?

Peace,

EK2K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186134&Tpk=foxconn+x38

However, I'd think any board that has support for both, would not be worth it to run DDR3 on, I dont think it could handle the real performance of DDR3.
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=9923

This review shows a max of about 8% given up to DDR3, most benches showing barely any difference - including DDR3 only boards.

I saw an article yesterday that said X48 will run alongside X38 (not simply replace it), and cost mobo mfgrs about $20 more.

Anyone got word of an X48 board with DDR2 & DDR3 support?

Not a bad looking board... except for the pink DIMM slots. Egh.

Beggars can't be choosers, though, huh?

I am thinking I'm gonna end up waiting for Nehalem.

Not a bad looking board... except for the pink DIMM slots. Egh.

Beggars can't be choosers, though, huh?

I am thinking I'm gonna end up waiting for Nehalem.

Also MSI does screwed up DIMM slot color coding. They don't do things in a way that makes sense.

Back