X58 (Tylersburg) Nehalem Extreme Edition LGA1366 motherboard in the wild

pxc

Extremely [H]
LOL, "Smackover" is printed on the board.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7750.html

Are those memory chips around the socket? Six x32 chips would match a tri-channel memory width (64bit x 3). Maybe it's built in "Turbo Memory," a.k.a. Robson? If it actually works this time, that could be great for instant on.

looks like the CPU has direct access to that memory, the arrangement is to optimize trace lengths.

Are those memory chips around the socket?

1) do not know for sure, just guessing,

BUT, if you look closely you will see next to those "chips" moving outward away from the cpu, the 2 push pull mosfets and then an input filter cap.

So now starting out and moving in towards the cpu socket we have,

input filter cap, mosfets (pair), chip inductor (the "chip" in question) and then clusters of the output filter caps, the cpu socket.

This looks like the VRD circuity and it is widely spread out (a nice idea if you have the real estate) to spread out the heat from the inner circuit board layers/components. Basically they are using the large copper land areas (see the large areas of unbroken green) instead of expensive heatsinks for the VRD components.

So I am not sure but it sure looks to me like those chips are 'solid state inductors' for the cpu voltage regulation circuitry.

It appears they're finally moving to digital voltage regulation, much like Abit's later motherboards.

So I am not sure but it sure looks to me like those chips are 'solid state inductors' for the cpu voltage regulation circuitry.
Yeah, that looks right about the inductors. I didn't see the zoomed in pictures for detail where the leads are visible and it wouldn't make sense to run so many data pins to the CPU where Turbo Memory used flash before. :eek:

The company printed on the package does make inductors, but those are probably flat coil SMT inductors. http://www.pulseeng.com

Tilt your head to the right with the first pic (or left for the second one). It's a: :)

i recall reading somewhere about the triple channel memory and a 4th slot being a bonus. its just a shame that they can't fit 6 slots on the mobo while still being an ATX board.

why's isn't the pseudo "northbridge" (in that picture) and southbridge a single chip solutioin like nvidias? Since the MCH is integrated into CPU, what gives?

why's isn't the pseudo "northbridge" (in that picture) and southbridge a single chip solutioin like nvidias? Since the MCH is integrated into CPU, what gives?

better to have two small devices vs one big one, higher yields and clocks. The PCI-E circuits still reside on the northbirdge. Also the CSI which replaces the FSB.

better to have two small devices vs one big one, higher yields and clocks. The PCI-E circuits still reside on the northbirdge. Also the CSI which replaces the FSB.

Your rationale makes no sense whatsoever given that 1) Nehalem itself has integrated the MCH and 2) G35, G45, etc. chipset has integrated graphics core in its northbridge. Must be another reason why Intel is doing this, since single chip chipset has been proven to work on AMD platform...

It's there to provide additional PCIe lanes. ICH10 alone cannot provide 2x16 for graphics.

20080103141101616372302bs4.jpg

EDIT
20080103151259796356598xy6.jpg

That Tylersberg Reference Board Design slide from HKEPC is no longer valid.

Initially, Intel decided to disable the IMC for Bloomfield and use an external memory controller due to yield and clock concerns.

That's not BTX. BTX boards have the CPU along the front edge. Intel gave up on BTX a while ago.

Back