x64 supported PCI sata controller card?

Yashu

[H]ard|Gawd
I need an SATA 2 controller card... it needs to be PCI and supports windows x64.

I only know of this one http://www.siig.com/product.asp?catid=7&pid=1043 and I don't think there are 64bit drivers for it.

What other brands do you think I should check out? There must be some card that has x64 drivers out there.

I will take any suggestion (but no I am not changing my OS back to x32 though... that is an absolute last resort and I don't want to even think about that right now)

please help.

Any based on a Silicon Image chipset should work.. They have x64 drivers available from their website. Same with Highpoint ones.

SATA2 is fairly standard these days. (SATA 300 is the same as SATA2)

Edit: heck that one you listed uses a Silicon Image chip, so it should work with thier drivers.. but why pay extra for the SIIG price when you can get one based off of the same chipset for much cheaper?

I went throught that website up and down and did not see ANY x64 drivers... could you please show me a link to where that card has 64bit drivers? or any card based on that chipset?

I don't know of any cards based on that chipset other then that one (I am an sata noob) could you also suggest other brands you think are good?

I was going to buy that card there, but there is nowhere on the web that I can find with 64bit drivers... they certainly are not on their site.

I would really like to know for sure because I really want to get a controller soon so I can have it shipped here before the weekend.

Lazn_Work said:
Any based on a Silicon Image chipset should work.. They have x64 drivers available from their website. Same with Highpoint ones.

SATA2 is fairly standard these days. (SATA 300 is the same as SATA2)

Edit: heck that one you listed uses a Silicon Image chip, so it should work with thier drivers.. but why pay extra for the SIIG price when you can get one based off of the same chipset for much cheaper?

Agreed. I picked up one from Ebay with external and internal SATA connectors using the newer Silicon Image 3124 chipset for around $29.99 or something like that.

where are the 64bit drivers though? they are not on the SIIG site anywhere... SIIG *is* silicon image right? if they don't have the drivers who does?

I can't buy anything if I won't be able to find drivers.

weird... years ago they were SIIG with silicon image right under their title on the retail boxes... they probably confused so many people, I just checked their website and they don't reference silicon image directly anymore.

Anyways, if siig is not good, who is? I don't know very many brands... I am looking for an SATA 2 card that is PCI.

Yashu said:
weird... years ago they were SIIG with silicon image right under their title on the retail boxes... they probably confused so many people, I just checked their website and they don't reference silicon image directly anymore.

Anyways, if siig is not good, who is? I don't know very many brands... I am looking for an SATA 2 card that is PCI.

Nothing wrong with SIIG, they just tend to be overpriced as you can get a card based on the exact same chipset from Newegg for half the price.

==>Lazn

so it's only the chipset that matters? is it like motherboard or GPU chipsets that rely on the same unified driver from the chip manufacturer?

I guess that must be the trend these days... I remember when each video card manufacturer had their own driver. And then I remember when the voodoo cards came out and you could get a unified driver from 3dfx that was always better then the ones from the manufacturer... shortly after that you rarely ever saw a manufacturer branded driver.

HELP! I bought the SIIG card because you guys said there would be 64bit drivers and I can't get it to install! I have tried several silicon image drivers, none detect the card.

The card bios shows and it detects my drive, and windows finds a pci device, but none of the drivers work!

What chipset is this thing if it is not 3x12 or 3124?

Help! please!

It looks like that actually uses the Initio chipest, I was wrong before when I thought it was Silicon Image.

So try these: http://www.initio.com/support/index-download.htm

(I was only able to figure that out by downloading the drivers from the SIIG drivers and extracting them to look at the .inf files)

Edit: FYI that is not a SATA2 controller, it only supports SATA1 the II in the name denotes that it has two connectors. (SIIG playing games, another reason I am not a fan of them)

==>lazn

I tried those drivers and it doesn't recognise the card.

I don't mind that it is only 1.5gb I am more interested in the NCQ.

but it still won't install! I am about to pull my hair out, I checked the chip on the card... it is a 1620ta2, and the driver is for 162Xta2 so it should work... I wish I knew how to edit the inf to get windows to force it.

I am checking the INF, and the pci device ID matches the INF, so it doesn't make sense for the driver not to take. I have no idea what is going on here... I have a card that I seem to not be able to use and I am frustrated.

Did you try installing the drivers manually? eg: don't detect, I will tell you what drivers to choose..

Sorry I steered you wrong here, I distinctly remembering finding that the card you linked to was a silicon image based one, but now I can't find the page that I was looking at before.
I really am not a fan of SIIG, and you would be better off with a Silicon Image based one.

==>Lazn

well I thought it was a silicon image one, that is why I got it.

I tried already to just choose the driver, but windows still declines it... I am trying to figure out how to force it by editing the INF... I don't know... maybe it can't be done. The driver I downloaded is *supposed* to be 64bit and for this chipset.

I bought this off an ebay store... returning it will be a nightmare.

I have never messed with SATA inf files, but you could try adding:

; Models section
'
[HARDWARE_ID]
%Device1622% = Device_Inst, PCI\VEN_1101&DEV_1622&SUBSYS_16221101
%Device1626% = Device_Inst, PCI\VEN_1101&DEV_1622&SUBSYS_16261101&REV_02

And down in the stings:

Device1622 = "Initio inic1620 S-ATA Adapter"
Device1626 = "Initio inic1620 S-ATA Adapter"

That is what I found in the inf from SIIG that differed from the inf from initio..

Edit: why do you want NCQ anyways? it slows down single user access, it only speeds up mulituser environments (servers)

==>Lazn

I already did that. it won't accept the driver. I also changed the sys file name to inic162x.sys as what is specified in the inf... no dice.

I want NCQ because I do alot of video editing and it will help me do other things while aftereffects is banging to the harddrive.

this really sucks.

Well I do not have x64, but if you go to the driver wizzard and choose
"install from a list or specific location"
then
"Don't Search I will choose the driver to install"
then
Uncheck "Show compatable Hardware"
and click
"Have disk"
then browse to a clean copy of the Initio drivers.

what does it tell you?

==>Lazn

Also do you have the RAID version or not?

SIIG has different drivers for the RAID version so it might need a different hardware ID. I am downloading that driver now.

==>Lazn

Interesting, the RAID drivers .inf file is IDENTICAL to the x64 driver from Initio.

hmm. what does this mean?

==>Lazn

well it says it is not a 64bit compatable driver. *large shrug*

you know... I said FUCK IT, and I drove to microcenter and bought a rocketraid 1640... it has 64bit drivers and 4 ports so I can do raid 5 or something someday.

thanks for the help, we were on the same wavelength as far as troubleshooting... you and I both had the same ideas.

I know the Silicon Image 3114 chipset has a driver for XP64. I'd assume the 3112 (2 ports vs. 4 on the 3114) would work too. My previous mainboard (Iwill DK8N NF3 dual Opteron board) had a 3114 built in. I wasn't using it so I wasn't too worried about it, but one day I went to Windows Update & it coughed up a driver for it. So I installed it. It seemed happy, though I never did connect a drive to it as the rig it was in had a SCSI setup aside from PATA opticals.

yes, I have learned alot about controllers these past couple days.

I thought the SIIG card I bought had 3112, but it is some off brand that has non-working 64bit drivers.

My Silicon Image 3114 controller is working under x64 now after a lot of pain. I wouldn't recommend Sil for anything anymore. One of my maxtor drives doesn't detect while my other one does.

well this rocketraid 1640 was fairly reasonably priced, and it works well with x64 so far. The only issue I have with it is that it takes so damn long to detect drives and continue booting.

I know it is the card, I have swapped cables and made sure the drives were set to sata150.

but it does work and I may go full raid 5 soon now that I have the option.

Performance is ok, I feel like raid0 was faster on the controller built into my motherboard, but that controller had other problems, not to mention if I swap motherboards I would lose the array.

With this card, I will be able to move the array over to another motherboard if I want.

Yashu said:
you know... I said FUCK IT, and I drove to microcenter and bought a rocketraid 1640... it has 64bit drivers and 4 ports so I can do raid 5 or something someday.

thanks for the help, we were on the same wavelength as far as troubleshooting... you and I both had the same ideas.

Congrats on the new card. That Highpoint should be a good one.

Sorry I mislead you on that SIIG one, I thought for sure it would be Silicon Image.

==>lazn

yeah I guess it worked out somewhat ok.

I don't have NCQ, but I do have a raid array I can carry over to a new board if I want.

I make sure I have the same size volumes in external backup as I do on my computer... so I am not worried about using raid0. and it's very tempting to get two more drives and build a raid5 array. but then I would need to match the space on my external volumes... hehe, it gets expensive fast.

There is one nagging question I have. That is I want to know if the card could raid0 two drives, and then include that volume in a raid5 array with two other drives.

I am rendering a video right now and everything seems great... I feel like it has lower CPU usage then the raid chip on my motherboard.

The hardest part will be sending back the SIIG card... hehe I got it on ebay.

Yashu said:
There is one nagging question I have. That is I want to know if the card could raid0 two drives, and then include that volume in a raid5 array with two other drives.

I am sure it can not do this, however I am sure it will do RAID 10, and it might migrate your RAID 0 to RAID 5 (I don't know if that one has that feature or not).. But you can't RAID 5 a RAID 0 volume with two other drives.

Since you are doing video stuff, I do not really recommend RAID 5 because RAID 5 has SLOW writes, and you will be doing lots of writes. However RAID 10 would work well.

==>Lazn

yeah I thought about raid10, but in my own mind, I would still want to keep an external backup, so I might as well stick with what I have for now.

the only thing I have missing now is an HD light for the raid card... it doesn't have an HD light header... so I am not sure how to get that working.

Back