X670E mobo for 7800X3D and other recommendations

TMCM

[H]ard|Gawd
Getting ready to start ordering parts for a new gaming build to replace my aging 6700k. Normally I'd get another Asus Hero board but damn I'm not spending over $600 for a consumer mobo. The use will be mostly gaming and some general use. I typically keeps desktops for quite a while and plan on popping in whatever the hottest AM5 chip is at the time the socket dies. (I built my 6700k within a few months of that chips release) I was looking at these 3 mobos:
Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER, MSI MPG X670E CARBON WIFI, and Asrock X670E Taichi.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? I doubt I'll be overclocking but plan to use PBO and EXPO.
For cooling I will likely use an AIO but haven't figured out which unit to use. I'll take some suggestions for that and also for NVME drives. I am planning on using a 1TB NVME drive for the OS and other usual apps then have a 2TB NVME as game drive.
For memory I'm gonna do 16x2 but unsure what speeds or latencies to get.

The rest of what I am looking at:
Case - Fractal Design Define 7 ( My 6700k is in a Define 5 and it's a fantastic case)
GPU – transplant my 3090 from my 6700k
PSU - CORSAIR RM1000e
SSD – looking at Corsair MP700 Gen5 NVME SSD M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 5.0 x4 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CSSD-F1000GBMP700R2 and the 2TB version for the game drive
Looking at the Corsair MP700 Gen5 NVME SSD M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 5.0 x4 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CSSD-F1000GBMP700R2
Memory - ?
AIO water cooler - ?

Thanks for the help y'all

EDIT

I am really leaning hard on the Arock B650E Taichi Lite and likely do gen5 NVME for the OS drive and a gen4 for the game drive. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3bDQZJ

Last edited:
My suggestion: don't waste the money and get a B650 board instead. Also, skip the gen5 drive, because it knocks your PCI-E x16 slot down to X8 and you're really not going to notice the difference between 7500mb/s read/write and 12000.

^^ i agree. a b650 will handle it just fine, hell some 620s will too. the nvme speed thing is true too unless you work with reeeaaallllyyy large files, or want braggin rights.

My suggestion: don't waste the money and get a B650 board instead. Also, skip the gen5 drive, because it knocks your PCI-E x16 slot down to X8 and you're really not going to notice the difference between 7500mb/s read/write and 12000.
Got any recommendations for 650E mobos. I typically like higher end boards for future proofing and expandability as well as being able to handle the fastest chips at EOL of the socket. I remember there was issues with first gen AM4 boards supporting Ryan 5xxx chips

Got any recommendations for 650E mobos. I typically like higher end boards for future proofing and expandability as well as being able to handle the fastest chips at EOL of the socket. I remember there was issues with first gen AM4 boards supporting Ryan 5xxx chips
maybe the strix gaming? the "issues" with those early boards was lack of bios space, they couldnt add the new chips without knocking out the old ones.

Reactions: TMCM
like this

I'm currently using an Asus B650-A Strix with my 7950X3D and it works great, and I used an MSI B650 board that I can't remember the exact model of for a friends 7800X3D build and it came out great. Zen4 and probably 5 are not power limited so long as you have a vaguely decent vrm, it really boils down to features, if you need things like thunderbolt etc.

AFAIK all of the big name boards are great, I've heard really good things about the ASRock B650E Taichi and the Asus Strix boards as well. I think it mainly boils down to which companies software and BIOS you like better.

B650E you can have x16 graphics and lanes for the SSD too

He wants to use more than one drive, so it would have to kick the GPU over to x8 I think.

One Gen5 and one Gen4 with full speeds should still be possible.

I think that depends on the board, but gen5 drives are just... not really useful for 2.5x the price. I mean if you want it you want it, but thats at a point I would be saving the extra $$$ to add to a sold 3090 and grab a 4080 or something more meaningful.

I think that depends on the board, but gen5 drives are just... not really useful for 2.5x the price. I mean if you want it you want it, but thats at a point I would be saving the extra $$$ to add to a sold 3090 and grab a 4080 or something more meaningful.
Oh, I completely agree. I'm on B650E and still rocking my Samsung 980 Pro 2TB.

I'm not opposed to using a SATA SSD for either the boot drive or game drive. I just keep a platform for 7+ years and want to future proof as I upgrade parts over the life of the desktop. If my Z170 supported 8700k I'd just get one of those instead of building a whole new rig.

I'm not opposed to using a SATA SSD for either the boot drive or game drive. I just keep a platform for 7+ years and want to future proof as I upgrade parts over the life of the desktop. If my Z170 supported 8700k I'd just get one of those instead of building a whole new rig.
no one said get a sata ssd, we said you probably dont need a gen 5 nvme....

I would get a 4TB SN850X for the games drive then, it fluctuates between $269 and $299 right now which is around the same price as a gen 5 SSD. Get your Gen5 for the OS drive where it matters more. I don't even consider 1TB drives any more, games are coming in at a minimum of 100GB, hell even video card drivers are almost a gig now.

B650E does check a lot of boxes. I really like the Taichi B650E on paper and if I was buying another ATX AM5 board it’s the one I’d get.

Agree with the others that Gen 5 nvme drives are not worth it at this time due to gen 4 drives going for so much less. For example picked up the 2TB WD850x for $118 out the door at Microcenter yesterday and wasn’t even deal hunting too hard.

Asrock B650E Taichi Lite: https://asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650E Taichi Lite/index.asp

If I ever went to AM5 I would get this board hands down.

Yeah the Lite is packed and they dumped the fluff and kept the functions of the regular Taichi it looks like. Worth waiting for release which should be any time now?

edit. It’s available on Newegg for 279.99

Last edited:
like this
I have recently been looking at motherboards for the AM5 platform myself, after my experience with bottlenecking issues. I will be honest, AM5 seems like a crapshow. Certainly, many boards can and will simply work, but I'm curious how many of them are actually leveraging all of their features.

I don't know if I would worry about VRMs too much, iirc most AM5 boards are overspec'd on those a bit (correct me if I'm wrong), as far as a 7800X3D is concerned. What's more important is chipset I/O differences. Puget systems has a breakdown of each chipset:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/amd-x670e-vs-x670-vs-b650e-vs-b650-2361/
1693295378109.jpeg

So with X670E as opposed to B650E (supposing you go with E to get PCIE5 support, which if I was doing a "future proof" rebuild, I would do), you get some more PCIE lanes... which could be turned into NVME slots... supposedly. And a lot more USB plugs... supposedly. Then you actually look at, for instance, the Gigabyte Aorus X670:
1693295437793.png

I would literally rather have an optical output as opposed to 4 USB 2.0 plugs. For X670E, Asrock also has some motherboards with 4 USB 2.0 plugs. In 2023 (nearing 2024). They're like $300.

Another thing to watch out for is what some motherboards will disable or enable depending on which NVME slots you use. They could be Sata ports, PCIE slots, etc. It depends on what you have to plug in, but the only good way to track that information down is you have to hope it's either on Newegg, or go google the motherboard model, find its online manual, and then head over to the PCIE section to see what shares bandwidth with what. For general memory support quality on motherboards, I would consult Buildzoid's channel: https://www.youtube.com/@ActuallyHardcoreOverclocking/videos

Personally, I think if you're aiming to stick with a platform for a very long time, X670E might be worth it just for the extra SATA ports, if you intend to use your computer as an NAS like I tend to. But most cases these days don't even tend to have room for more than 3-4 3.5" drives anyway. But.. uh... B650E... isn't all that cheap anyway: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#s=41&c=161&sort=price&page=1

One more thing, avoid Intel I225-V 2.5G ethernet adapters, if there are any still around. They're hot garbage. On top of that, aren't there reports of some AM5 motherboards destroying CPUs? Or was that debacle wrapped up at some point?

Frankly? I would wait to see what Intel cooks up with the 14k line that's coming soon. I looked at intel's MB offerings and they seem to be a bit more price competitive. But AM5 will be supported longer.

like this
I have recently been looking at motherboards for the AM5 platform myself, after my experience with bottlenecking issues. I will be honest, AM5 seems like a crapshow. Certainly, many boards can and will simply work, but I'm curious how many of them are actually leveraging all of their features.

I don't know if I would worry about VRMs too much, iirc most AM5 boards are overspec'd on those a bit (correct me if I'm wrong), as far as a 7800X3D is concerned. What's more important is chipset I/O differences. Puget systems has a breakdown of each chipset:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/amd-x670e-vs-x670-vs-b650e-vs-b650-2361/
View attachment 594584

So with X670E as opposed to B650E (supposing you go with E to get PCIE5 support, which if I was doing a "future proof" rebuild, I would do), you get some more PCIE lanes... which could be turned into NVME slots... supposedly. And a lot more USB plugs... supposedly. Then you actually look at, for instance, the Gigabyte Aorus X670:
View attachment 594585

I would literally rather have an optical output as opposed to 4 USB 2.0 plugs. For X670E, Asrock also has some motherboards with 4 USB 2.0 plugs. In 2023 (nearing 2024). They're like $300.

Another thing to watch out for is what some motherboards will disable or enable depending on which NVME slots you use. They could be Sata ports, PCIE slots, etc. It depends on what you have to plug in, but the only good way to track that information down is you have to hope it's either on Newegg, or go google the motherboard model, find its online manual, and then head over to the PCIE section to see what shares bandwidth with what. For general memory support quality on motherboards, I would consult Buildzoid's channel: https://www.youtube.com/@ActuallyHardcoreOverclocking/videos

Personally, I think if you're aiming to stick with a platform for a very long time, X670E might be worth it just for the extra SATA ports, if you intend to use your computer as an NAS like I tend to. But most cases these days don't even tend to have room for more than 3-4 3.5" drives anyway. But.. uh... B650E... isn't all that cheap anyway: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#s=41&c=161&sort=price&page=1

One more thing, avoid Intel I225-V 2.5G ethernet adapters, if there are any still around. They're hot garbage. On top of that, aren't there reports of some AM5 motherboards destroying CPUs? Or was that debacle wrapped up at some point?

Frankly? I would wait to see what Intel cooks up with the 14k line that's coming soon. I looked at intel's MB offerings and they seem to be a bit more price competitive. But AM5 will be supported longer.
Dang!!! Excellent post and info. Yeah I haven't been impressed with the mobo selection and prices with the first gen AM5 boards, at this point its more of a wanting to replace my aging 6700k. It may be running at 4.8Ghz but those 4 cores are stressed lol

Personally, I think if you're aiming to stick with a platform for a very long time, X670E might be worth it just for the extra SATA ports, if you intend to use your computer as an NAS like I tend to.
If you intend to use the computer as a NAS, IMHO it makes much more sense to run the drives off a proper HBA card (e.g. LSI 9211-8i or whatever).

One more thing, avoid Intel I225-V 2.5G ethernet adapters, if there are any still around. They're hot garbage.
I225-V B3 stepping NICs are totally fine. The initial adapter and even revision 2 were hot garbage indeed, but anything you buy in 2023 (even AliExpress sketchy stuff) will be the I-225V B3.

If you intend to use the computer as a NAS, IMHO it makes much more sense to run the drives off a proper HBA card (e.g. LSI 9211-8i or whatever).
A lot of motherboards these days start disabling PCIE slots depending on how many NVME drives you have connected. Some start disabling SATA slots instead. Also GPU's these days tend to be kind of massive, depending on what you're buying, and kind of want all the airflow they can get. I really don't like putting anything in front of them. B650E is so expensive (it starts at $240) that I'm not even sure if there's much point in saving money by buying it. The B650E line has less PCIE lanes to begin with. I'm sure a lot of people are fine with add-in cards, but I'd rather just get it already on the motherboard if possible

... is what I would say, but the cheapest motherboard with 8 SATA ports in the X670E line is over $400:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#s=41&c=161,159&sort=price&K=8,13
AM5 is honest to god just stupid lol.

I225-V B3 stepping NICs are totally fine. The initial adapter and even revision 2 were hot garbage indeed, but anything you buy in 2023 (even AliExpress sketchy stuff) will be the I-225V B3.
https://old.reddit.com/r/intel/comm...tel_i225v_25_gbe_ethernet_controller/j68zoia/
https://old.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comme...el_i225v_ethernet_chip_is_good_avoid/hllsja7/
https://old.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/11nofam/intel_i225v_rev_3_issues/

These are just from a cursory search on google. I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot of posts talking about issues with B3. Some people have it just work, but there are also a lot of people with issues. Personally I would stay away from that thing at any cost. The Realtek chip just works. There's no point in poking a sleeping snake. My experience with an older revision of that thing is that when it fails, it fails rather catastrophically. B3's only real saving grace seems to be that it's at least somewhat recoverable, sometimes.

Last edited:
like this
Yeah, some simply are lucky with the hardware they connect them to, but all revisions have hardware related compatibility issues.

To top it off the i226v is no better all.
It as well has hardware bugs that no update can fix.

fyi:
I sold a perfectly fine z790 apex simply because i am fed up getting network alarms about isssues (low bandwidth and/or mini-disconnects) a few times every goddamn day -.-
And i bet my left u-know-what that the upcoming refresh will inherit the issue.

So anthing non Asus for me after ... 10ish years because of that stupidity since they only sell those NICs.

edit: Asus prices have become too steep as well.

Last edited:
like this
Honestly, after looking through AM5 options even more, I'm kind of almost convinced that you should just grab the cheapest, crappiest bottom of the line AM5 motherboard that supports this CPU and has just sufficient VRMs (I think the 7800X3D is noted for being fairly efficient, so that might be any board out there).

Something like this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fM...ng-x-micro-atx-am5-motherboard-a620m-gaming-x
or
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PskH99/gigabyte-b650m-k-micro-atx-am5-motherboard-b650m-k

It's only $100-120, and PCIE4 is perfectly sufficient for current cards. Then maybe when the next wave of AM5 boards comes out, you can just take this piece of crap and throw it out or just turn it into another PC. The cost savings might be worth it over how overpriced the higher end chipsets are vs their features at the moment. Wasn't it the same for the first wave of AM4 boards? I heard those sucked, too. Then again, these low end boards tend to be kind of rated badly, and I'm not sure about their VRMs.

Last edited:
like this
Case in point, something I managed to put together after looking through my local Microcenter's open box deals lol. I probably won't even reserve it or pick it up, but it's kind of funny how cheap it can actually get:
1693395853530.png

He wants to use more than one drive, so it would have to kick the GPU over to x8 I think.
You won't have that issue with B650E. I'm rocking three NVME drives (1x Gen4, 2x Gen3) on my ASUS B650E-F and the GPU is running at x16.

like this
You won't have that issue with B650E. I'm rocking three NVME drives (1x Gen4, 2x Gen3) on my ASUS B650E-F and the GPU is running at x16.

He specifically asked for two gen5 drives in the OP, thats what I was talking about. You can squeeze one and then lower gen drives.

like this
Not fully addressing the OP (only one gen5) but IMO the ASRock X670E Taichi is the best board that I have used for AM5. I have an X670E ASUS X670E Gene, X670E ASUS ProArt, and the ASUS STRIX B650E-F. They're all good (although not a fan of the B650E-F not having debug LEDs on the board - just 4 status LEDs which is like flying blind - in fact it's hosed right now for some reason and I'm dreading the troubleshooting - so get debug LED) but the Taichi is a fav. Scored a lot of crazy deals at Micro Center between combos and open box stuff.

Getting ready to start ordering parts for a new gaming build to replace my aging 6700k. Normally I'd get another Asus Hero board but damn I'm not spending over $600 for a consumer mobo. The use will be mostly gaming and some general use. I typically keeps desktops for quite a while and plan on popping in whatever the hottest AM5 chip is at the time the socket dies. (I built my 6700k within a few months of that chips release) I was looking at these 3 mobos:
Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER, MSI MPG X670E CARBON WIFI, and Asrock X670E Taichi.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? I doubt I'll be overclocking but plan to use PBO and EXPO.
For cooling I will likely use an AIO but haven't figured out which unit to use. I'll take some suggestions for that and also for NVME drives. I am planning on using a 1TB NVME drive for the OS and other usual apps then have a 2TB NVME as game drive.
For memory I'm gonna do 16x2 but unsure what speeds or latencies to get.

The rest of what I am looking at:
Case - Fractal Design Define 7 ( My 6700k is in a Define 5 and it's a fantastic case)
GPU – transplant my 3090 from my 6700k
PSU - CORSAIR RM1000e
SSD – looking at Corsair MP700 Gen5 NVME SSD M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 5.0 x4 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CSSD-F1000GBMP700R2 and the 2TB version for the game drive
Looking at the Corsair MP700 Gen5 NVME SSD M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 5.0 x4 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CSSD-F1000GBMP700R2
Memory - ?
AIO water cooler - ?

Thanks for the help y'all

I just did this.

Motherboard
Pretty much all of the main players have decent boards. My current rig has a Gigabyte Master and a 5900x. My daughter's rig has an MSI Tomahawk and a 5800x. I liked the features of the MSI Tomahawk.
I went with a B650 MSI MAG Tomahawk WiFi: Here

Cooler
I currently have an Arctic Liquid Cooler II 420 on my 5900x. It's overkill but I wanted to play with the best AIO. With that said, sure it's cool and it looks nice but man is it huge! Before that, all my coolers were various flavors of Noctuas. I went back to the Noctuas I know and trust. Are there better and cheaper coolers? Sure. But some non-Noctua fans put off an irritating sound. Maybe it's me. But Noctua fans, to my ears, are nothing but the comforting sounds of silence.
I went with the Noctua NH-D15s Chromax.Black: Here

CPU
I'm going from an AMD 5900x. There's not much better and that when it comes to the 5xxx series AMD chips. I was curious about the x3D chips but the 5800X3D was more of a side-grade than an upgrade. Then AMD debuted the 7800X3D. I'm Game! Why not the 7900X3D you ask? Wasted potential. I'm making a gaming rig. Head to head the 7800X3D meets or beats the 7900X3D.
I went with the AMD 7800X3D: Here

Storage
I like Samsung. I love Samsung Pros. So I got two Pros. Both are NVMEs. It's easier to add a SATA drive later but it can be a beyotch to add NVME drives with beefy GPUs installed.
OS Drive: Samsung 990 Pro 1TB
Gaming Drive: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Rounding out the rest of my build
PSU = Corsair HX1200 (latest Corsair 1000w or 1200w PSU will do)

Enjoy the build. There are few bad decisions. For compatibility check PC Part Picker

Oops, forgot about RAM
I chose G.Skill (16x2) sticks. I wanted CL=30 and 6000mt_s. RAM is cheap right now.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
like this
I know the question is about Gen5 drives, my board is rate for one NVME in Gen 5.

Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX which has 3 x NVME slots, I have all three filled up now with different cheap 1tb drives that was all on dirt cheap sales.
RX 6700 10Gb is in Gen 4 x 16
Slot 1 is WD Black SN770 in Gen 4 x 4
Slot 2 is Crucial P3 Plus in Gen 4 x 4
Slot 3 is Samsung 970 Evo Plus in Gen 3 x 4

OS is on a SATA SSD
4tb WD Black P 10 Gamedrive USB 3.0
2tb Seagate Backup Plus USB 3.0

I use the WD Black P 10 to run games like World of Tanks / World of Warships and older dx 9 /10 games that was fine on plate drives.

like this
Yeah I may just use gen4 NVME drives for the time being since the price difference is so significant. I'd love to wait for the 8xxx series CPUs and chipsets but since it's looking like it will be mid to late 2024 before release, it's a bit longer than I'd like. This is all excellent info y'all and I thank you for commenting.

So, I wasn't actually going to get into this gen myself, but I saw a certain Open Box deal:
1693503084032.png

I don't know what "incomplete" means, but last time I got an "incomplete" item, it worked just fine. So I can basically get a really high end X670E motherboard that's normally $460, for $250... including a 2 year replacement plan from the store.

Yeah I'm on board with that. I'll probably go pick it up later today and hopefully everything works. I'll inspect it for any bent pins while I'm there. If it works, I have a great MB that's basically set for multiple years and generations of AM5 CPUs. If you have a Microcenter near you, try checking it, OP.

Last edited:
Microcenter incomplete could mean that some accessories are missing. I have seen motherboards in antistatic bags, all you get is the motherboard, or sometimes maybe just wifi antennas are missing. Other times it might be that m.2 screws are missing or the backplate is missing. Just check the socket for bent pins carefully, (before you leave the store), and try to see what is missing. If say just SATA cables are missing, then that's not a big issue at all. Most of us have those sitting around anyway but other things could be a problem.

like this
Maaaaan I'm really liking the asrock B650e tachi lite for $279. With those gnarly VRMs will support whatever monster amd makes at the end of socket life and I always have a big fan zip tied dangling in the middle of the case blowing air at the VRMs since I do water cooling so I wouldn't worry about throttling

I got my 7600x and Gigabyte board for $289.98 at Best Buy back in July, GSKill Tirdent Z5 neo RGB AMD Expo DDR 5 / 6000Mhz Cl 30 in 2 x 16Gb was $104 = $393

like this
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MHcGGP

I'm liking the price difference on this build vs what I had done on my first post
I'd be using the 1TB Mp700 drive for OS and the 2TB SN850X as the game drive
I'll have to look at the mobos manual to make sure that I wouldn't lose the PCI x16 speed by using the gen5 drive and the gen4 drive

I'll have to look at the mobos manual to make sure that I wouldn't lose the PCI x16 speed by using the gen5 drive and the gen4 drive
Nope! You just lose the second PCIe if you populate M2_3. If M2_3 isn't populated you can continue to run an X16 GPU and another add in card on PCIE2 at x4, or you can populate all three NVME slots and give up the PCIE2.

1693580748775.png

like this
So I have always had the fastest drive/port be the OS drive in my previous builds... is it better now to have the fastest drive/port be the game drive? Damn I have been building PCs for over 30 years and since my 6700k build back in 2015 I haven't really kept up and its making feel like a noob lol

I'm liking the price difference on this build vs what I had done on my first post
I'd be using the 1TB Mp700 drive for OS and the 2TB SN850X as the game drive

That CPU cooler is WAY overkill for a 7800X3D.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgiBcD7bBaw

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hY...sassin-120-se-6617-cfm-cpu-cooler-pa120-se-d3
Grab this (or whichever Thermalright Peerless Assassin is on sale for the cheapest at the time you're looking) and save yourself a lot of money.

The problem is that a lot of motherboard manufacturers even on X670E don't even use all of their PCIE lanes to actually do anything useful with, so B650E is going to be even worse. If you want a rough breakdown of motherboards an their features (but from a hardcore overclocker standpoint I guess), watch this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTBnzUF6EbE

The one that I'm going to pick up probably later today doesn't have an external clock apparently which just means I can't really overclock on it lol. Which I don't give a crap about because I can't remember the last time I overclocked a CPU. Seems pointless these days.

Back