X6800 and a 4870 X2

squishy

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, I managed to myself a "free" 4870 X2 and I'm wondering if I'll now be CPU bound in games with my X6800 @ 3.0 ghz.

Games I mostly play, all @ 1680 X 1050:

Stalker Clear Sky/SOC
L4D
Crysis Warhead
COD 4
COJ
COH

And a few others that I'm not worried about performance as much.

Would it even be worth moving to an E8600 or even a Q series? On this machine all I really care about is game performance, so it's not clear to me if Quad is even worth bothering with right now. I looked at i7 as well, but I think I'll wait on that.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

yeah, I tried but couldn't seem to manage to keep it stable past 3ish even with a nice aftermarket cooler. I'll have to play with it again, it's been a while.

So I assume you're inferring that the CPU should be fine?

Should be if you push it farther, yeah. 3.8-4Ghz would be ideal.

Have much experience OCing C2Ds?

agreed. up the voltage and push it farther. that processor should be doing 3.6 easily.

oh and by "free" do you mean stolen? cause that's not cool....

Are you unstable because the chip is running too hot? Is it that your system won't post at higher clocks? What mobo are you using?

Guys, before telling the OP to crank the volts, we have to be sure we're not sending this guy off to fry his chip! hahaha... Heatsink mounting? Too much or too little TIM? PSU?

It's been a while since I OC'd it and my experience is pretty limited. The MB is a P5W DH Deluxe. The issue was never heat related IIRC, it would just fail prime 95 after 3.1 ish.

I'll have to make another effort in OC'ing more, as I always thought that chip should be able to do much more.

And no, of course I didn't steal the card, it was a gift from a vendor.

Back