X800: No Furmark Temp display

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey,
I inherited my brother's old computer build from way back when.
Specs:
P4 2.8
P4C800 Deluxe
512MB x 2 Geil pc3500 (silver HS)
ATI X800
Hercules Fortissimo sound card
Linksys WMP 54GS

I updated the video card to the most recent drivers (10.2). I tried running furmark and the temperatures didn't display. I would try running the GPU-z temperature monitor at the same time and it would crash the computer (instant reboot). I could get ATI Traytool OSD to display the temp and FPS on the furmark screen, but still no temp within furmark itself.

I decided to format the computer since it was acting a little weird. Turns out, the other GB of ram he had in, crucial ballistix, was bad and I couldn't get the computer to format and properly install XP with the ballistix still in. So I removed it, put on windows xp pro, updated it to most recent drivers and updates. And still nothing from furmark. I've tried version 1.8 and 1.65, no dice. Any ideas?

The option for Overdrive doesn't exist in my CCC. I can get a temperature reading with ati tray tool, I just can't get a reading in furmark.
Bear with me though, first ATI card I've messed around with.

I reset the computer and now I can't find any option for displaying temperature in ATI tray tool. Fan Profiles isn't showing up either. But GPUZ hardware monitor shows the gpu information and hardware monitor just fine.
Edit: And I reset it once more and the temperature shows up fine.

Hey man, I just saw this thread. I can confirm that I get the exact same results. I have 2 oldie comps, one that I'm still using myself and the other that I passed on to my lil bro. I played around with an X800 XL that I inherited from friend in both of these comps. The same result in both: 1.) no temperature displayed in FurMark, and 2.) trying to run FurMark + GPU-Z at the same time (to monitor temp) causes it to completely freeze. I was usually able to run furmark for maybe up to 30 secs before everything froze if I had gpu-z also running. Without gpu-z, FurMark runs, except it does not report temp.

I abandoned that video card for my own comp, even though it's the best AGP card I have, because I was also experiencing random crashes in BF1942. (I had a thread about it here, and the furmark/gpu-z issue was brought up as well.)

Switching out to a 7600GS solved all those issues. I dunno what the deal is with that X800.

PS: I also have WinXP Pro with SP3 on both comps (but not all the other patches). Also, the reason you report instant restart whereas I report freezing is probably due to different settings in WinXP. There's a setting in "Startup and Recovery" that says "Automatically restart" if system fails. I have that option unchecked.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, glad to hear I'm not going crazy lol.

When I had freshly formatted, I didn't get a chance to change the setting to not restart after a system failure until the second format. I was able to get a blue screen, PFN_File_list corrupt or something like that. From there, I found out one of the ram kits I had, crucial ballistix (which I've NEVER had any luck with), was bad, so getting rid of that yielded a more stable build. The GEIL ram doesn't seem to last more than 7 rounds in memtest, but it's better than the 2 seconds with the ballistix in.

As for the temperatures, it's just the weirdest thing. It seems like the temperatures and fan settings will come up in ATI tray tool ONLY after 2 or 3 reboots. I don't think I'm changing anything in between then either. Still nothing in furmark.

Back