X850XT Problems

vlad_Swe

Weaksauce
Hey,

I just bought a Powercolor X850XT AGP card to replace my old, broken Nvidia AGP card.

Tried a few 3d games, and the screen starts going "On and off", i.e. turning black for a second, then coming right back on again, making everything unplayable.

EDIT: When I alt-tab back into Windows, this behavior is still occurring while a game is running in the background! Screen blacks out for a second, then comes back.

I've used this card for maybe 10 minutes total, haven't overclocked it in any way, and I'm running 6.2 cats. Any ideas?

Have you used Driver Cleaner to clean all of the nVidia drivers to prevent conflicting with the ATI's drivers? And what are your system's specs? Please include CPU, motherboard, power supply (need to know this one), amount of RAM, you know what I mean.

Mr. Stryker said:
Have you used Driver Cleaner to clean all of the nVidia drivers to prevent conflicting with the ATI's drivers? And what are your system's specs? Please include CPU, motherboard, power supply (need to know this one), amount of RAM, you know what I mean.

I used driver cleaner prior to the installation, removing both ATI and Nvidia drivers (just to be sure).

System is as follows:

ASUS P4P800 Motherboard, 2 x 512 MB Kingston VRAM DIMMS, Intel P4 2.8GHz CPU (Running at 3.3), Chieftec 340W PSU.

This computer used to run my overclocked 6800GT before that card died.

UPDATE to the problem: When I downgraded to 5.13 Cats there is no "flickering" black screen, I just get a "Signal Lost" message on my screen wheneverit boots up a 3d game. The sound is still playing, however, and the computer hasn't crashed.

Card seems to idle at around 39 deg C.

ReDgUaRd008 said:
Did you remember to plug the VGA into the PSU? I also think your PSU is to weak.

The card won't boot without the cable plugged in. Using a molex connector that's not shared with other components, as well.

Could be the PSU, but I thought X850-series ATI cards weren't as power-hungry as 6800-series Nvidia cards?

Try reseating the video card, and check your monitor cable for any bent pins.

You used Driver Cleaner...
Your Card is not Over Heating...
You are using Driver 5.13...

The only thing that I can think of is that a 340 Watt PSU is rather low for your computer. You are right the X850 doesn't suck as much power as the 6800, so that makes less sense....

I would take the card out and check it over, look for any damage or shorts.

This is why I would never buy Powercolour.... they seem so cheaply made.

Well, here's how it went today:

Installed a new PSU (Antec TruPower 380W, from a friend's Sonata Case). Ran the card, exactly the same problems. HOWEVER - it seems that this problem only occurs when running DVI. I couldn't get this problem using D-SUB.

Card is going back tomorrow, see if the have a replacement or I get my money back. Hope they have another card.

Ok, got a replacement card, everything seems fine. I was really worried something else might be going on inside my computer, but it's all sealed up now.

Now, a few questions.

Card is idling at around 38 deg C and having played DDO Beta for 2 hours with max settings @1600x1200 went up around 55 deg C. Are those numbers ok?

vlad_Swe said:
Ok, got a replacement card, everything seems fine. I was really worried something else might be going on inside my computer, but it's all sealed up now.

Now, a few questions.

Card is idling at around 38 deg C and having played DDO Beta for 2 hours with max settings @1600x1200 went up around 55 deg C. Are those numbers ok?
Yea, they are fine. I idle around 38 and load at around 47, so you are OK.

Back