X850XT Temps

Calibur

Gawd
Hi, using the ATI software my x850xt is clocked atthe lowest setting and is idle at 68C. My room isn't THAT hot. Is this a normal temp? I just ordered an ATI silencer to see if that makes a diff.

That is a little toasty. I had a X800XTPE and it never got over 51c under full load. It was running hotter than that when I first got it so I removed the cooler and removed all the thermal paste. I then applied AS5 and re-attached the cooler making sure it made good contact with the GPU and viola reduced the temp by a good 5-7c. Try it and see, if you are going with the ATI Silencer that is a good cooler, probably only bettered by the Zalman line.

Calibur said:
Hi, using the ATI software my x850xt is clocked atthe lowest setting and is idle at 68C. My room isn't THAT hot. Is this a normal temp? I just ordered an ATI silencer to see if that makes a diff.
That's not unreasonable. Moreso than its temps is its stability. I'd rather be stable at 70ºC than stuttering at 55ºC. The cooler will definitely help you in both those areas though.

for you to compare... Mine idles @ 55C at idle @ 5% fan... But it reaches 80C or so when gaming @ 50% fan...

my r420 X800 pro at xp speeds with all 16 pipes unlocked with a Silencer 5 installed idles at 32C under load wont pass 50

before was 45+ then 70+

I'm reaching 87 while gaming.... It was a refurb card though, so I am thinking the heatsink is not making good contact or something....

Try AS5 and reseating the cooler worked for me. If not get a aftermarket cooler. They usually put alot of goop on those chips.

With the default HSF, mine idled at 60c and hit 82c under load. After I got an evercool cooler (and sanded down the copper heatsink) it has idled at 45c and hits 67 under load.

I have default HSF on my X850XT PE, and OC'd to 594/614, I get 41C idle, 67C full load.

Guess I was one of the lucky ones. :confused: Either that, or ATI fixed the reference cooler for the AGP model.

The heatsinks on those aren't machined well, mine has little circles all over it. Some day I'll lap it down. My idle temp is 39c maxing out around 72c. Arctic Silver made no difference, not that I thought it would (snake oil).

Glacian22 said:
With the default HSF, mine idled at 60c and hit 82c under load. After I got an evercool cooler (and sanded down the copper heatsink) it has idled at 45c and hits 67 under load.

I had the EXACT same experience... except I got the Arctic Cooling? Silencer.

mine would regularly hit the lows 80s under load and blue screen... but with the new HSF my card never hit more than 65... rock solid stable. Amazing that a change in cooling solution would drop the temps 10-15 degrees at idle and load.

Your best bet would probably be to download the newest version of ATI Tool and just mess with the fan speed a lil (the stock fan speed doesnt even get to 50% untill almost 80C!!!! just bump up the speed of that fan a lil. I know its loud... but better then a fried card). My x850xt PE idled at 45C and its load was 80-81C, but after a lil tinkering with the fan speed settings and wire management i was able to get it down to 40C idle and 72c load and thats when its overclocked to 550/620! I would recommend looking into an aftermarket cooler like one of the new zalman coolers. Good luck my fellow ATI Friend :p

PS: Try downloading the new Omega ATI drivers... they gave me an extra 10-15fps in most of my games.

Zefram0911 said:
I had the EXACT same experience... except I got the Arctic Cooling? Silencer.

mine would regularly hit the lows 80s under load and blue screen... but with the new HSF my card never hit more than 65... rock solid stable. Amazing that a change in cooling solution would drop the temps 10-15 degrees at idle and load.
I had a simmilar experience. It's just the shittiness of the stock HSF, not really designed for OCing.

Edit: At stock, however, that is REALLY high. See if the silencer makes a difference, if not, I'd try to RMA the card.

i got a x850xt pe.. overclocked a little.. and it's at 40c @ the moment.. it'll get warmed up a little and get to 50ish and then when gaming 60-80c

My x850, at 590/540, only goes up to about 60 degrees C under load, and stays in the mid 30's idle (but that's only at 520/540). Even with the stock HSF, it woudn't go more than 75 degrees C under load, at 100% fan.

I am receiving the new cooler today.... Hopefully it comes with paste. I will see how the temps are after. yesterday it got up to 90C

wow, and i thoguht i had coolig problems. Though I'm not on an X850, I have a 9600 that was idling at 68 degrees celsius and would exceed 70 and skate around 80 for a bit. Then it started locking up everytime it went over 75.

I was gonna go with an arctic silencer, but I'm broke so i just threw in a spare 92mm fan perpendicular to the card and it dropped my idle to 40 degrees celsius (and that's after i decided to over clock. stock speeds it was 35-36 degrees). :)

So try throwing a spare fan somewhere in there to alleviate things, you may not have to end up spending any money that way.

Wow, I was in the exact same spot.
I have a x850xt PE and it was getting increasingly hotter. Then one day i heard the fan kick into overdrive, and temps reach upwards of 90C :(

I contacted sapphire (though i had a fked up fan)
Am actually still having it rma'd technically...

But seriously, I pulled the card out, grabbed a can of compressed air... Turns out
it was really clogged with dust. I blasted the bottom notch (slot dedicated to the fan) and through the coppe (other side) as well, and now it runs good as new, and much quiter.... well somewhat quieter

The Zalman cooler mentioned above dosent do anything for the memory.
Is it really the best aftermarket x800 gpu sink?

I got a x800 that freezes the system like clockwork when hitting 81C.

Should i be concerned with cooling the memory on the board as well as the GPU? My memory gets scalding hot.

I was thinking about buying individual ramsinks and attaching them to each memory module like the ones below...

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=371284

And should i be worried about using thermal adhesive on my video card?

***EDIT*** this thread was usefull. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1015178&highlight=ramsink

Should not be worried.... The cooler I purchased also covered the RAM on both sides.

My temps were high (ATI X850 XT PCI-E)and I have been experiencing terrible artifacting in BF2 after a couple of rounds. I put the Zalman Fatality FC ZV9 cooler on and my temps are WAY lower (33C idle and about 55C during a game), however my gaming experience has not changed. This card used to be rock solid for the first year I owned it and now it is getting worse. I wonder if it has been damaged somehow by heat over the course of time. When I took the stock cooler off it was only half touching the RAM. Any input??

Back