X99 is coming. Which board, MFR!?

I'm waiting for matx boards. Then I'll make the get giant leap and upgrade.

I have an X-79 ASUS Rampage Formula.

It's just about right for my needs.

I'm going to consider that sort of upgrade, but I'm not in a huge hurry. There's not much my X79 can't handle at present.

10592932_10153082308153084_3472072303673493773_n.jpg

The X99S XPOWER AC showed up :) Looks really nice too :D

It is frost :) - they poured LN2 over it for the shoot - many companies have done that for product shots

It is frost :) - they poured LN2 over it for the shoot - many companies have done that for product shots

I poured vodka all over my keyboard once....didn't work so well after that, but was a good excuse to buy a new one :D

I'm interested to see what ROG X99 boards are to come. That Gigabyte G1 board looks pretty nice. Anyone know when Haswell-E/x99 boards are supposed to be released?

Gigabyte or MSI for me. All you guys getting Asus boards are brave. I value a warranty to much.

ASRock X99X Killer :
x99x.jpg

Good:
- Ultra M.2
- weird internal external USB port at bottom right corner.
- double USB3 internal headers

Bad :
- that molex next to the CPU
- only 3x PCI-E x16.

Amazing there are still Fatal1ty products. I bet a lot of people own them and have no idea who he is. I recently expressed this observation to an industry insider who knows the guy and he actually got irritated at me. I said something like, "I'm so sick of that kid's face" and the response I got was, "that kid is a man now."

MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus ROG are on my watch list, I never have been much of an Asrock fan. I want a board with 4 x16 pci slots (maybe some tri/quad SLI/CFX in my future), and would like at least 10 sata connections.

Asrock oc formula, msi, and gigabyte are the ones I'm waiting on.

Does the X99 all have M.2? If so is it possible to run a SATA Express SSD in them? And when NVMe comes will this hardware support that?

I'll probably do this and go surround at the same time, I'm thinking. Just wish some decent 8XX series GPUs were coming out around the same time, not sure I want to buy another 780ti..

Does the X99 all have M.2? If so is it possible to run a SATA Express SSD in them? And when NVMe comes will this hardware support that?

The answer is same as with Z97 - it depends on the manufacturer. M.2 probably all, question is if it will be PCIe only or PCIe/SATA. SATA Express is a completely different connector than M.2 (while providing same interface), and again - it depends on the manufacturer. I doubt any of these boards will support NVMe.

That Asrock above looks like a mATX board hence only the 3 PCI-E slots. Thats the first one to drop in that form factor.

How does 5 physical slots with one extra slot being empty (so 6 in total) compute for you as mATX ? Since when can you have more than 4 card slots on a mATX board ?

Just thought of the Gene is all...but now I see its not that short, just looked short from the side view

140687.jpg

not knowing to much about the announced X99 boards thus far, can anyone tell me if there is one with the following announced/suspected specs:

1. SATA Express/M.2 PCIe 4x
2. USB 3.1
3. No silly custom hardware that won't run under linux (Creative audio or bigfoot network, etc)
4. Cheaper end of the spectrum, i.e. ~£180

Cheers

Minus the fatality branding and redundant red & black scheme, that board looks excellent.

It says SLI to the left of processor socket. If it could do Crossfire it could do SLI anyways. :)

Believe it or not, while physical capability of a board to do crossfire and sli are similar. There are a bunch of boards still out there now that only support crossfire due to chipset licensing issues.

For instance http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87K/specifications/ Only supports crossfire.

I do see that the asrock board as the sli print next to the cpu now though thanks for pointing it out. Not a lot of real estate left on the board to print stuff haha.

Looks like we'll have some good options, though I'm curious to see ASUS's offerings. That said I'm torn between ASUS's generally awesome hardware and generally awful customer service.

That ASRock WS board looks pretty interesting. Dual Intel LAN, sounds extreme, I can't see a lot of people taking advantage of that. I'm assuming you need two completely separate internet connections?

Looks like we'll have some good options, though I'm curious to see ASUS's offerings. That said I'm torn between ASUS's generally awesome hardware and generally awful customer service.

That ASRock WS board looks pretty interesting. Dual Intel LAN, sounds extreme, I can't see a lot of people taking advantage of that. I'm assuming you need two completely separate internet connections?

Or if you want to run a VM pushing a pxe server off of a dedicated connection. There are a ton of reasons to have a 2nd nic last of which is platform longevity, I've had multiple nics die over the years having a backup is always welcome.

I'll be getting whatever board which will let me install my h100i in my fractal r4 case while still being able to easily access the ram slots. So far it looks like the ASROCK fatal1ty or extreme 4 will serve me well. ASROCK boards seem to have the ram slots much further from the top than any others.

Been a long time coming but upgrade time it is.

I hope the x99 stuff lasts me as long as the p5w64ws and q6700 have.

wow, i had one of those for two years.... before i bought my 1090T back in May 2010! :)

Haha I think you deserve an upgrade, with that long between upgrade cycles Id be leaning towards a WS board or the Asus Sabertooth TUF lineup with a long warranty.

Looking forward to seeing what Asus brings to the party, awesome hardware, hopefully some decent customer service with X99?! Rampage V will be full of awesome, that is until The Black Edition drops mid-cycle.

Found THIS just now on the Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5...decent features!

I have been slow to upgrade that is for sure. 2 kids in college, other priorities etc. All kids now out, it's time for me to have some fun again. Plus, every time I tried something new I just didn't feel that much improvement over this system.

Quad core q6700 at 3.35GHz
8gb ddr400 ram
AMD 6970

went from a pair of 10k rpm raid zero drives to Samsung SSD 850 pro. I felt that.

Really researching all the choices and want to buy out on the bleeding edge again.

Probably want to get the horsepower to handle 4k.

The long warranty board was a good suggestion.

Crucial 16GB KIT DDR4 2133MHz CL16 Single Ranked (CT4K4G4DFS8213) is 209 euros in local shop. I think this price is acceptable.

Im gonna wait until DRAM manufacturers smarten up and release proper DDR4 speeds, they are artificially starting way slower than they need to in order to milk the market for all it worth. Give me a reason to upgrade from DDR3 for real. Interested to see benches coming up comparing the two!

This is an interesting gem for anyone looking at x99 boards and running multiple SSD's in raid 0. The DMI on the X99 is the same as on Z87/97 which means you will be capped around 1.6-1.8GB/s at most. The 10 sata ports on the X99 boards are broken up into a controller that allows Sata 0-5 to raid/ahci and sSata to only run ide/ahci.

"- 1 x M.2 Socket 3 connector (M2_10G)
- 1 x SATA Express connector
- 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3 0~5)
- Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
* Only AHCI mode is supported when an M.2 PCIe SSD or a SATA Express device
is installed

4 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (sSATA3 0~3), supporting IDE and AHCI modes
only
(An operating system installed on the SATA3 0~5 connectors cannot be used on
the sSATA3 0~3 connectors.)"
Taken from the leaked gigabyte X99 UD5 Wifi manual.

This might also mean that the sSata connectors will not be bootable either.

a problem with gigabytes PCH implementation of M.2/Express?

will the 4x PCIe 3.0 boards be able to use nVME on M.2/Express?

Crucial 16GB KIT DDR4 2133MHz CL16 Single Ranked (CT4K4G4DFS8213) is 209 euros in local shop. I think this price is acceptable.

With DDR4 kits at 1,2V starting from 2133 up to 3 Ghz I wonder how those low end modules will overclock.

Not sure, but considering my intended use (main development computer, VMs etc) memory overclock is the last thing i am interested in. Btw in the end i ordered BLS4K8G4D240FSA - Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2400 for ~420 euros and it should be here sometime around 5-8th September. Now only to wait for boards & cpu to show up in shops :D.

So it looks like the x-99 deluxe from asus, is the mysterious white asus board I've seen get mentioned before.
EQBjfZe.jpg

Last edited:
Back