XB1/PS4 keboard and mouse support?

RayDaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
Are there any plans for Microsoft or sony to include keyboard and mouse support on XB1 or PS4??

if no then what would be a good converter to use that doesn't cost too much but actually works?

thanks

Get a XIM4, for a PC Gamer it's the only way to do shooters on the consoles. So much better than using a lamepad.

Oh, also make sure you get it right from the XIM4 people, don't go through the price scammers on amazon or fleabay. Since it's pricey you want to make sure you get the real deal, people counterfit anything these days, or try to jack up prices.

XIM 4 is the only good one?? its like $125 kinda pricey. if that's the only good one I guess then so be it. kinda hoping to get off a little cheaper.

yeah I want to play FPS with it, I can't play with a controller it just sucks.

PS3 and Xbox 360 have always supported keyboard and mouse, as well as the PS4 and Xbox ONE. The issue is whether or not the games support that type of input. Unreal Tournament 3 supported KB+M, IIRC. I used a keyboard for text chat in Final Fantasy XI on the Xbox 360.

And yes, XIM4 is really the only good one on the market. It's worth the money, in my opinion.

I was pretty good in Destiny with my Warlock on a controller but I always felt gimped cause I knew I could do better with a mouse.

And yes, XIM4 is really the only good one on the market. It's worth the money, in my opinion.

This is far and away the recommendation that keeps coming up. I'll have to look into this myself soon.

XIM4 should be your only option. If you are a M+KB Master Race kind of guy, this will give you as close to 1:1 as possible IMO.

Buying direct from them also seems to be the best option both on price and support. I went on Amazon and third parties are jacking it up by a good $50 or so even with a "fulfilled by Amazon" tag.

Get a XIM4, for a PC Gamer it's the only way to do shooters on the consoles. So much better than using a lamepad.

Oh, also make sure you get it right from the XIM4 people, don't go through the price scammers on amazon or fleabay. Since it's pricey you want to make sure you get the real deal, people counterfit anything these days, or try to jack up prices.

No, don't be a filthy cheater. Learn to play with the controller and stay on PC.

Using a XIM4 or anything else makes you no better than someone using an AIM bot. I know you are getting owned by 12 year olds with controllers and some how think it is because the controller is inferior but in reality it is because YOU SUCK with a controller and need to practice. No be lazy and just cheat your way to victory.

Stay on PC if you want a KB/M where the playing field is level.

I don't play online but want to play the many FPS games that are not on PC at all with a keyboard and mouse. or take advantage of sales on all platforms to get my games. no harm in that. I can see the online multiplayer criticism but I don't do that

Are there that many exclusive FPS for the console? The only one I can think of is Destiny.

No, don't be a filthy cheater. Learn to play with the controller and stay on PC.

Using a XIM4 or anything else makes you no better than someone using an AIM bot. I know you are getting owned by 12 year olds with controllers and some how think it is because the controller is inferior but in reality it is because YOU SUCK with a controller and need to practice. No be lazy and just cheat your way to victory.

Yup. It took me a very long time to get accustomed to the controller when I first got the PS4 and CoD:Ghosts. My KD was tanking hard.

After about reaching level 30-40 my aim with the controller got substantially better and my overall average KD after about 3 or 4 prestige was still 3.0 even with using a controller. However, even with a XIM I don't believe people using that get an inherent advantage -- they just get something that feels more natural to them, its also still mimicking the analog stick is it not?

Keep in my this was also my first real fo-ray into console FPS as I hated it in the previous gen.

I agree with some of this, getting good with the controller just takes practice. Its never going to be up to the mouse standard, but it is easy to get good with a gamepad you just have to practice. If you play for 20 minutes and cant aim for shit and give up and just want a mouse then you're really not giving it a chance. I didnt have any console for years and picked up a PS3 last year when GTA game out. I picked up CoD Ghosts as well and yeah for a couple days I couldnt hit a damn thing. Once I found the right sensitivity for me (medium-low) and played for a couple weeks I was dominating fuckers in no time. Went from not being able to hit any one unless they were standing still to being in the top spot in 75% of the servers I went in constantly with 3:1 and 2:1 K/D ratios. Its just a matter of getting used to it...

Keep in mind the atrocious auto aim in these games also make it annoying for some XIM users hahaha. It is a boon for people who use controllers though.

You xim haters can deal with it, I truly dislike controllers. I gamed with a controller all through xbox and xbox 360 long before I could afford a gaming PC and never really liked it despite being decent at it (between 1&2 kd ratio normally). Problem is non of my friends will buy a gaming PC so I'm stuck on consoles, the xim doesn't make you a "god" in game, nor does it offer super advantages. Your still limited by the games movement speeds and mechanics.

My friend with joystick extensions is deadly accurate with his controller like I am with my mouse. I use my xim4 cause a mouse and kb feels 100x better and more comfortable for me, I still get beat down by good controller users. Controllers work just fine but to some people they will never feel right but labelling xim users cheaters is like calling people who use joysticks or hotas setups in flight games or steering wheels and pedals in race games cheaters, makes no sense to me.

As to the OP the xim4 is top notch, works very well.

Last edited:
From what I read the limitations of KB&M support on consoles is due to memory. Even with 512MB of ram on the previous generation consoles, it was hard to add the driver support as well as the updated UI files into memory.

With the next gen consoles KB&M support for some games is much more likely because they have 8GB of ram to work with.

As for advantages of XIM on consoles, I imagine that initially for novice players there would be a huge advantage but I expect an experienced Halo/CoD player with a joystick could eventually become similarly accurate as a player with a mouse. I don't like joysticks for FPS either that's why I don't play them on consoles.

I don't use the XIM to get the best scores, I'm rarely at the top to be honest, I just do it out of hatred for the gamepads on shooters. Thus with the XIM4 I can actually play with my friends and not dislike every minute of it. I'm sure if I played the console daily with the gamepad I might find it more tolerable, but I get time to play like once a week at best and the XIM4 atleast gives me a chance to have fun with it.

And like Ragenrok said above, someone who truly has mastered the feel of the gamepad can probably do just about if not as well as a kb/mouse player.

Knowing the maps and how to react to them is a far far better advantage than using a keyboard and mouse IMO.

To be a bit more accurate, on a CONSOLE a KB/M and Pad user would be on par with each other due to the aim assist that hinders the KB/M user but is a boon for the pad player.

There are pros and cons for the usage but it doesnt give an inherent advantage for one over the other.

It's like saying using an Arcade Joystick is rigged while playing games like Street Fighter compared to a pad player.

Its not cheating. Not sure why you feel that way as Sony and MS could easily introduce firmware to detect and ban people who use them but that doesn't happen.

Controllers are inferior for quick responsive actions. This is a simple truth. KB/M is almost always the superior option. Sony and MS don't support it because they have a huge economic model built around their controllers and a 3rd aftermarket that depends on them. I'm not saying you can't do amazing things with controllers like speedrunning but no one stops you from using a controller on an FPS game on PC outside of the developer not adding the functionality yet hardly anyone does so.

I would rate my skill with controllers to be pretty decent but on a KB/M that skill rate jumps through the roof and without lots of increased stress. KB/M are basically accuracy and force multipliers for gamers. If you can use it legally why shouldn't you? Because you might play better than someone else? By that logic anyone with a $5000 Fishing rod for pulling Marlins should be hit with a fine because they aren't using a cheap $35 Fishing rod for rockeye like the vast majority of fishermen. Just because you feel its unfair doesn't make it unfair.

Back