XBox 360: Failure Imminent?

KaosDG

[H]F Junkie
Ok,

So I think my xbox just took a shit on me :(

It just started freezing up, with a weird checkerboard pattern on the screen.

Funny thing is, I played a bit last night (maybe 45mins to an hour) with no issue. (see my post in the undertow thread)

Is the RRoD imminent?

f$cking bitch.
img0645qw1.jpg

Is the RRoD imminent?

Not if you unplug it and never play it again..;)

Seriously..I see a call to MS in your future!!

EDIT...DAMN..you posted that pic while I was replying..Told you so...

Just got off the phone with them.

For my "troubles" they are giving me a free month of Live.
Yay?

At least they aren't charging me for the repair.
(my warranty was up on 12/27/07)

What's with these things dropping like flies? I remember reading of this all over the gaming forums for a while but is this still a concern with recently made 360's?

Mine didnt RRoD on me, but my relatively new 360 is in for repairs (HDMI version) due it locking up from overheating.

What's with these things dropping like flies? I remember reading of this all over the gaming forums for a while but is this still a concern with recently made 360's?

well the date of manufacture on mine was 3/11/06. I bought it around 12/07 (Xmas present to myself)

It's not *that* new, i think i got it before the Elites were released?
But still, only a little over a year old.

Hmmm.... A month of XBL is not really worth it. I would have raised hell. My cousin did that, and got a free PRG4. But my Xbox never took a shit :p. So I would not know, what else you can get it.

well the date of manufacture on mine was 3/11/06. I bought it around 12/07 (Xmas present to myself)

It's not *that* new, i think i got it before the Elites were released?
But still, only a little over a year old.

Dang, I'm surprised the warranty on those boxes is so short. I wonder how the Elites stack up in the RRoD syndrome.

Did MS ever nail down the exact cause of these RRoDs? I've heard of thermal stress and/or just general frying of the silicon...

Dang, I'm surprised the warranty on those boxes is so short. I wonder how the Elites stack up in the RRoD syndrome.

Did MS ever nail down the exact cause of these RRoDs? I've heard of thermal stress and/or just general frying of the silicon...

There was an interview with a MS thermal engineer last week.
http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archive...about_xbox_360_red_ring_of_death_failures.php

Basically they die from a core internal error from overheating (i.e. fried silicon)
It was poorly engineered, under designed, bad control of materials, cut corners in manufacturing, spotty quality assurance testing etc..
Older models have around 30% failure rate, Falcon is under 10%. It sounds like most of the older models will eventually kick the bucket.

That sucks, sorry to hear that dude.

My roommate has a Zephyr Xbox from about a year and half ago. All the other people we know who bought an xbox from that time has had theirs fail. He says the longivety of it is due to him using his vertical stand cooler.

That and he has it on the floor of the basement with nothing around it. In canada the basement is like 20C cooler than everywhere else in the house =\.

Exactly the reason why I did not purchase one 2 years ago when I had the money! Instead I built one hell of a reliable PC :D

I ran a poll on a gaming podcast forum I'm a member of a month or two ago..

And well, the 360 failure rate there was around 70%. Keep in mind though, 95% of the 360 owners there have had their 360's since near launch (or around the time Gears launched), and they are hardcore gamers, so their 360's get used a lot. On a poll of about 50 people though, this pretty much goes to show that all 360's prior to the Falcon will probably kick the bucket at one point or another, since it's a design flaw, and not a manufacturing defect.

And as far as the defect, this is what was found out on tech sites a few months after launch. They found out that the main cause of the problem, was the GPU X-bracket or something of the sort. Basically, the heat would make the X-bracket holding the GPU expand and contract, and the GPU would eventually lift off from the board. Seeing as how the Falcons only have a die shrinked CPU, and the same GPU, this problem isn't 100% fixed. A GPU die-shrink is scheduled for Summer 08 though, so consoles past that date will probably be immune to this design flaw.

The Falcon's lower temps might slow down the process enough so that the 360 should survive for as long as a console needs to survive, who knows.

And yeah, all 360 owners have a 3 year RROD warranty anyways. You'll likely get newer 360 redesigns immune to the design flaw down the road, so most owners should be okay in the end.

Sorry for the headache. You are covered though.
I had mine since may of '06 and not a problem yet. (knock, knock)

That sucks. :(

I have moved my 360 from a shelf inside a cabinet to the top of the cabinet because of how hot it was getting. I forget how damn loud these things are.:p

I don't play my 360 that much. I got it for Christmas in 06. I have a feeling though one day when I really want to play something it'll RRoD on me. Shitty.

Two of my roommates have 360's, and BOTH of them have gotten RRoD within the last 5 months (one got it just a few weeks after the other one got back from Microsoft). Both of them are fairly new (bought in summer 2007).

I'm absolutely astounded at how flaky those things are.

rrodew5.jpg

If it makes you feel better, my "reliable" 4 week old PS3 just died on me too: drive doesn't read anything anymore. The pisser is that I still gotta go through Sony cause I bought it from Dell (I knew this from the start, so can't complain much). Our 360 lasted 7 months, RROD'd 2 weeks back.

If it makes you feel better, my "reliable" 4 week old PS3 just died on me too: drive doesn't read anything anymore. The pisser is that I still gotta go through Sony cause I bought it from Dell (I knew this from the start, so can't complain much). Our 360 lasted 7 months, RROD'd 2 weeks back.

Ouch. Both of them gone.

Does the Xbox 360 warranty start from the manufacture date or the date I bought it?

Just looked and mine was built 7/06 but we bought it on 9/07. Was my unit out of warranty when we bought it and have 2 years left on the RROD?

i'm pretty sure that it's from when you purchase it, so save the receipt.

I love my 360, however like most people here, mine has gotten the RROD once in it's life. Microsoft however was really good with my return to the shop and they replaced my launch unit with a brand new box. So I have to say dispite it all it was worth it.

Having said that, those xbox 360's definity have some sort of problem. I'm a package handler for Fed Ex, and I would say that every night on the two trucks I load (small delivery trucks, not big rigs mind you), I get an average of 5 360s returning from the repair center :eek:

To the op, sorry about that man. At least now you got that out of the way so you dont have to worry about it breaking on you again :p. Here's to this being the only time you have to do this.

just being sarcastic. Yeah your almost guaranteed to get RROD on an Xbox360. No sarcasim there.

just being sarcastic. Yeah your almost guaranteed to get RROD on an Xbox360. No sarcasim there.

I'm more worried about my DVD drives dying than RROD. My launch day 360 RROD after one year, then a few months after I got it back, the DVD drive died.

Bought a second 360 for my fiance and within the first month it would not read any 360 games, kept getting the "put this disc into an xbox 360 to play it" message.

5 days more or less, another 5 to get it back, don't expect the same console you originally sent in. You basically send in your 360 and you will receive a fixed refurb (hence the short turn around time)

Man I know the feeling. I just got the red lights of doom as well. I've had my 360 since launch and I thought I was going to be one of the lucky ones...guess not. At least MS is going to fix her up for me no charge. I'm just going to be without my 360 for a month.

5 days more or less, another 5 to get it back, don't expect the same console you originally sent in. You basically send in your 360 and you will receive a fixed refurb (hence the short turn around time)

Yup, got the box last night (5 business days exactly).

Shipping it out tomorrow.

Eh...I've never had a problem with my 360. I think it locked up once on me and that was an issue with the game(Forza 2) itself.

I'd be curious to see how clean the insides of your system are.

Back