XBox 360 HDMI Question

jljenkins28

Limp Gawd
Ok, I just pulled the trigger and ordered one of the newer systems with the HDMI connection. I plan on hooking this up to my 40" Samsung LCD, which has two HDMI inputs. Question is, is the audio transmitted over a regular off the shelf HDMI cable, or am I going to have to spring for Micro$ofts $50 adapter?

Jason

Ok, I just pulled the trigger and ordered one of the newer systems with the HDMI connection. I plan on hooking this up to my 40" Samsung LCD, which has two HDMI inputs. Question is, is the audio transmitted over a regular off the shelf HDMI cable, or am I going to have to spring for Micro$ofts $50 adapter?

Jason

HDMI includes audio.

Audio will come through the HDMI cable and into the television, so if that's all you need you're covered. If you want audio run to a receiver separately, you'll need to plunk down for the audio adapter.

Audio will come through the HDMI cable and into the television, so if that's all you need you're covered. If you want audio run to a receiver separately, you'll need to plunk down for the audio adapter.

Can't you just plug in a component cable with optical-out for the audio?

Can't you just plug in a component cable with optical-out for the audio?
Word around the internets is if you use HDMI, you have to get the Elite-type dongle sound adapter for it.

I think the problem is actually in physical incompatibility if I'm not mistaken...the component AV thingy is too big to house that and the HDMI cable. Pretty sure that's what I remember reading.

edit: here's a quick and dirty source. I saw this a few places in my little research frenzy before I decided (actually due in large part to this issue) to go with an Elite instead.

Word around the internets is if you use HDMI, you have to get the Elite-type dongle sound adapter for it.

I think the problem is actually in physical incompatibility if I'm not mistaken...the component AV thingy is too big to house that and the HDMI cable. Pretty sure that's what I remember reading.

edit: here's a quick and dirty source. I saw this a few places in my little research frenzy before I decided (actually due in large part to this issue) to go with an Elite instead.

I think this is what I needed to hear. I've just got a couple of rca patch cords running from my tv audio out to my receiver. My receiver doesn't have an optical input anyway, so this is fine for me for now.

Thanks a lot guys!

So it seems all elites come with one of those adapters?

It's pretty lousy that the normal HDMI 360's don't come with those adapters. While HDMI receivers are getting more common, they're still new. Most people only have switching receivers is they have HDMI at all.

I have one of the new HDMI Premiums, have it hooked up via only HDMI, sound comes through perfectly.

I have one of the new HDMI Premiums, have it hooked up via only HDMI, sound comes through perfectly.

However it'll only come through in normal 2-channel stereo if plugged into your TV. He was asking about getting 5.1 via an optical cable in addition to the HDMI video.
HDMI's tricky, because to get multi-channel audio out of it, you have to have an HDMI in/out receiver. They exist, but they're not common, nor are they cheap.

I was thinking of connecting my elite to the 5.1 receiver. It came with an audio connection that has the red/white and optical out. So do i connect the HDMI to the TV, and also the audio adapter to the other output (below the HDMI) and connect the red/white to the receiver and receive a 5.1 surround? My receiver doesn't have an HDMI input but i'm planning to get a Denon that will have it. Once i get the Denon, do i connect the Elite HDMI to the Denon then to the TV? Correct me if i'm wrong.

I was thinking of connecting my elite to the 5.1 receiver. It came with an audio connection that has the red/white and optical out. So do i connect the HDMI to the TV, and also the audio adapter to the other output (below the HDMI) and connect the red/white to the receiver and receive a 5.1 surround? My receiver doesn't have an HDMI input but i'm planning to get a Denon that will have it. Once i get the Denon, do i connect the Elite HDMI to the Denon then to the TV? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Yeah, for now you'll connect your HDMI straight into the TV to get the video and you'll run an optical (toslink) audio cable into your receiver to get the 5.1 audio. Make sure you turn your TV's speakers off, too.
If you get an HDMI in/out receiver, then you'll just run the HDMI into the receiver and it'll decode the audio and then send the video out to the TV automatically. Most will let you set up different audio and video sources, so you'll have options to play with.

Back