xbox 360 laser ruins/burns games?

G'ßöö

[H]ard|Gawd
my kids had a big tiff this weekend cause they were playing oblivion on the xbox360 and the younger one accidentially knocked it over and the cd is now looking burnt, almost scratched around the outside edge of the cd and it will not play. he says the laser is that powerful and does this so his games is now wrecked.

is this true? sounds like the rantings of a pissed off 16 year old to me. what's up? I know nothing about consoles but trust the opinions here more than his hehe =)

thnx

G'ßöö said:
my kids had a big tiff this weekend cause they were playing oblivion on the xbox360 and the younger one accidentially knocked it over and the cd is now looking burnt, almost scratched around the outside edge of the cd and it will not play. he says the laser is that powerful and does this so his games is now wrecked.

is this true? sounds like the rantings of a pissed off 16 year old to me. what's up? I know nothing about consoles but trust the opinions here more than his hehe =)

thnx
The laser can't "burn" the discs, but if you knock the Xbox 360 over with a disc inside, it'll be ruined.

Yeah, the mechanism on the DVD drive will eat disks if you move it while the drive is powered. Not particularly surprising. Lots of info out on the net describing exactly how this happens.

you can move it, just not quickly. the gyro effect of the disk will push it against the read mechanism if you move it fast.

everyone is right. The read mechanism will scratch the daylights out of a disc if the console is bumped or turned from the vertical to horizontal position while the disc is spinning. This is your sons fault, not the console's.

i've had a dvd movie literally burned in one spot by a home dvd player. i know not how the hell it happened, but no joke the disc had a burn mark and cloudy plastic around said burn mark. happened only once, and the manufacturer replaced both the player and the disc.

i had that problem once, my son was jumping around when playing a game, and it would load a certain level anymore, looked at the disk and it had a permanent circular scratch on it, so dont let the kids jump around while playing.

Documented problem - moving the unit while playing. I'd leave it in the horizontal position with children.

I dont push over/move my computer when its reading CDs, and I don't move my 360 when its doing the same.

People who do, fail and deserve scratched media.

/thread

My 360 makes Xbox 1 games look like they were scratched with a knife. It likes 360 games though.

Bring the game to a game shop like gamecrazy where they have a professional level buffer and they can probably fix it for you. I did this and it costed like $2.

One of these things caused damage to your disc:

a. "laser"
or
b. "knocked it over"

Use some sense.

tell your kids they owe you $50 for the game now...

make them do their chores and give up their allowance till they pay it back :-O

G'ßöö said:

thnx

The laser scratched the disk? That's a good one. :p

CD drives do that if they are tiled.

Go slap the guy in the face.

Obi_Kwiet said:
The laser scratched the disk? That's a good one. :p
CD drives do that if they are tiled. Go slap the guy in the face.
the kid is a know it all and my lady's so I just glaze over when he speaks. I found it stupid it he would leave it vertical. ...typical tho of young ones =)
DaVisionz said:
tell your kids they owe you $50 for the game now...
make them do their chores and give up their allowance till they pay it back :-O
I never pay for their waste of cash console shit. gave them both computers before and they lost them being disobedient lazy shits. they can learn their own lessons and its best for any kid. teaches them respect and how to obtain stuff

thnx for the input folks. he did mention he could have someone attempt to fix it but he went on saying the laser was so powerful and etc I thought it was a crock. trust in [H] Cheers!

This has happened to me once and i just went to the local video store, borrowed the same game, swapped the disks and returned the game just before the return time!

it worked for me once but i don't know how any times you could get away with it before the store realizes that you return the games broken

also, my game (black ops) would only freeze when first loading the game sometimes :p

have fun doing this and saving yourself $80 on a new disk

Hope you get banned baff, not a good idea to tell someone to go steal copies of games from places. And yes, swapping your broken disks for a good one is the equivilant of stealing.

OP tell them to check around at local video stores, games stores and pawn shops. If any of them have a disk repair service it should be able to fix it for under 5$.

I don't understand why people have the xbox 360 on it's side in the first place. Unless it's between something so it can't fall over. Just doesn't make sense.

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[;1036556548 said:
I don't understand why people have the xbox 360 on it's side in the first place. Unless it's between something so it can't fall over. Just doesn't make sense.

Space conservation.

edit: I originally typed out "Space conversation" hahaha

I had a PSX back in the day that litteraly burned my copy of DISK 2 of FFVII. sucked so much.

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[;1036561661 said:
the thing is if that is the reason, it's probably fitting somewhere that it can't fall over.

Not necessarily. If you look at my set up:

5266337447_65342a551c_b.jpg

You can see any of those systems can fall over if someone decided they wanted to cause a ruckus in my room. If I were to lay them down horizontally, I could not fit more than one there.

All the cable management I do, and I can't hide that friggin' coaxial.

Back