Xbox 360 leaves PC's in the dust

cambrian

Gawd
...this is old news but the more I thought about how advanced this box really is compared to the PC. I mean 48 pipelines and 3 powerpc core :eek: and msrp of $300. I mean it beats the most powerful gaming pc in every department: performance and price.

I shouldn't really have bought the 7800gtx. This thing costs 500 bucks and the xbox is only 300. Most of the time, games for the consoles are better (that's debatable actually).

I don't see the point of upgrading to the latest amd cpu's or graphics card when you have this thing.

The only reason to continue with pc gaming is games like CS:S, fps, etc; but these games are going to be ported eventually anyway (ie far cry).

http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2005/05/13/xbox_360_pc_enthusiasts/1.html

Food for Thought: Xbox360 is a console and every console has a end time unlike PCs where you can upgrade them forever.

true but the recent upgrade of my pc to even play f.e.a.r. even a decent frame rate costs a little over $1000 whereas I would only have to spend $300 for a kick ass gaming machine.

Good job looking no further than the foot it is between you and your monitor.

For a few generations now, the consoles have pushed far ahead of PC graphical capabilities at lauch.

Try to make that claim still stand 6 months to a year from now.

consoles will always beat pc's on their first launch, unlike pc's when they are launched they have to try and future proof them alot more then you do a pc. As with a pc you can buy new hardware over time to keep it upto date and the games graphics will only improve greatly.. as for consoles they will hit a wall where improvement is impossible.

plus you can do so much more with a PC. a console is just... a console. they are making them more and more useful, but the PC cant be beat. id take my computer over any console anyday including future consoles.... even!!! if the console looks better and has better games.

cambrian said:
...this is old news but the more I thought about how advanced this box really is compared to the PC. I mean 48 pipelines and 3 powerpc core :eek: and msrp of $300. I mean it beats the most powerful gaming pc in every department: performance and price.

Well the ATI chip doesn't really have 48 "real" pipelines, it has a 16 pipeline unified shader architecture. Before we see any performance comparisons it's difficult to say which is faster. But I don't think it will be faster than a 7800 GTX SLI or X1800 crossfire, perhaps a bit faster than single cards. However it will be interesting to see how it will perform with the embedded memory since the bandwidth to the main memory is significantly less than the 7800 GTX and X1800 cards.

It will also take some time to optimize games for 6 threads considering there are hardly any games today which support 2 threads.

cambrian are You working for MS?

Well wrong Forum mate :p

PC is a PC. You can doo many other things then just play game . Yess on modern consoles You can also browse net etc. but not as on PC.
Also gett Xbox 360 You cna't play Playstation games and Nitendo games on it.
On AMD system You can play same games as on Intell system.

I've both under influence of my friends one of a first Playstations II (first my own console for me, well mostprobobly last for now)
I've got two controllers and memory card and GTIII. All original Sony stuff. Payed it 600 +$

I've have had it 3 times on. Then I was told like gettt roll playing game and You will use it more. Got Sumonier (or what ever) payed another 80$ and turned it on two times more.

Now it all costed me 700$ and You can gett it all now for 200$ (more or less). It's collecting dust and wait's to be build in in my car eventualy.

I've connected force feedback stearing wheels and feeling was bad.
I gett no pleasure of playing it. I doo not want to mod it and original games are mostly very exprencive.

Consoles are not for me.

Xbox? Well You will be able to play Xbox games on PC.
Grafic engine better? It might be but if You aren't owning like 32" + TFT or plasma HDTV with Resolution 1360 x 960 how can You see that quality of grafics? With 800x 600 on normal TV?

Most of a consols even use 640x480. Well TV interpolate it in nicer picture as You would have on PC with that resolution but still it's to low resolution.

Try browsing on non TFT or non Plasma TV. Can You read anything? Or it's sharp but flickers and You will gett headache or it's stable but blury so You can't read.

Also like allready sad Xbox can't be upgraded to Xbox 360 You need to get new box. :(

You get PS II and then thee is a slim version :( and thne comes PS III.

Wanna play on TV? Well almost every PC has TV out. Also You can install Media center and have much more out of PC on TV then what You can have from Console. Costs more to though.

MD

For the most part, games that are on Xbox will be on PlayStation aswell. And vice-versa.

cambrian said:
true but the recent upgrade of my pc to even play f.e.a.r. even a decent frame rate costs a little over $1000 whereas I would only have to spend $300 for a kick ass gaming machine.

while this is true you forgot to factor in the cost of the television needed in order to use the console. while yes you could play it on a cheap 19 inch tv, consoles were made for and look best on large screen televisions where you sit far back from it. also the cost of the xbox live subscription to play online should be factored in. i will be getting an xbox 360 just cause its cool and i like the built in media center extender but probably will play more games on my pc.

rhexis said:
while this is true you forgot to factor in the cost of the television needed in order to use the console. while yes you could play it on a cheap 19 inch tv, consoles were made for and look best on large screen televisions where you sit far back from it. also the cost of the xbox live subscription to play online should be factored in. i will be getting an xbox 360 just cause its cool and i like the built in media center extender but probably will play more games on my pc.

while this is false, you forgot to factor in that you're wrong.

you can plug the xbox360 into any monitor. it has built in AF and AA options and the ability to run at high resolutions, so this gen will look GREAT on monitors this time around. but hey kudos on acting the typical biased pc gamer who refuses to be aware of available knowledge.

and is it so hard to imagine that a next-next-gen console could have full keyboard/mouse support as well as upgradeability? as well as flexibility in running a custom streamlined OS(specifically talking about MS and xbox) where you could do all the things you could on a PC? but for much much less. i don't see why this can't become a reality, and as soon as the generation after the xbox360. the beauty of consoles for us consumers is that we can get great hardware for cheap that can do amazing things. if LIMITED upgrade options were made, it would be even better. obviously it couldn't be as flexible as a PC or else prices would be hiked up too much, but consider that before you say 'PC forever!' because its not that crazy of a possibility.

Consoles are limited by TV's and other Consoles. You won't get 1600x1200 out of a 360. Heck you won't even get 1080P in the first version. And any cross platform games will look about the same on all 3 platforms regardless of hardware.

Controllers are garbage. I hate playing with those fruity little joysticks and gay colored bubble buttons, I REALLY dislike consoles.

When I can choose to play every console FPS with a keyboard and mouse as well as be able to download and use community created mods for those games, I'll say the PC is dead. Until then though, the consoles have nothing on the PC for games that count for me (FPS/MMO).

Bo_Bice said:
and is it so hard to imagine that a next-next-gen console could have full keyboard/mouse support as well as upgradeability? as well as flexibility in running a custom streamlined OS(specifically talking about MS and xbox) where you could do all the things you could on a PC? .

You could already do this for years - it was called a Mac and they made up <5% of the market.

Dillusion said:
Controllers are garbage. I hate playing with those fruity little joysticks and gay colored bubble buttons, I REALLY dislike consoles.

Same here, can't stand console controllers. Besides I like running my games at native resolution (1680x1050) with 4xAA/8xAF and community mods for BF2 are what I'm drooling over.

I am very excited about the new X360.

My play time leans more into the realm of consoles due to diversity of titles and and alot of the bull**** of PC games simply not existing. No messing with settings, incompatibility, or gaming online with people using "hardware" that may give them an advantage.

I do feel that whether it is admitted or not PC gaming is being affected more than ever by consoles since alot of former PC only devs are now moving their focus away or making their games for the consoles as well.

Also having a set platform allows really amazing things to be squeezed out of old hardware. Has anyone seen Far Cry Instincts, Doom III, or HL2 on Xbox? They look out of this world for a system with 64 Megs of RAM, a 733 MHZ CPU, and a GF3.5. Granted they don't look as good as their PC counterparts but the whole system costs less than a mid-range GPU that doesn't afford much performance.

Sure the X360 will reign supreme for a small time before PCs get the visual crown again but you have to admit even some current Xbox games give the PCs current best as run for their money, albeit in lower resolutions.

MD said:
cambrian are You working for MS?

Well wrong Forum mate :p

MD

Me? working for the Empire? no way dude. In fact, I'm against MS monopolization and proliferation. Just trying to point out the current discrepancy between pc and console gaming. I should retitle this thread to "xbox360 leaves 7800gtx gaming in the dust" because that's what i'm really comparing here: graphics performance. But the multicore cpu on the 360 is a very nice touch.

swatX said:
Food for Thought: Xbox360 is a console and every console has a end time unlike PCs where you can upgrade them forever.

HAVE to reply to this one. It made me laugh out loud. You cant upgrade a pc forever. No way. You will eventually change out all the parts and have a completely new system.

The british sitcom 'Only Fools and Horses' put it best when Trigger says "i've had this brush for 20 years, its had 8 new handles and 12 new heads" (near enough to what he says anyway)

cambrian said:
Me? working for the Empire? no way dude. In fact, I'm against MS monopolization and proliferation. Just trying to point out the current discrepancy between pc and console gaming. I should retitle this thread to "xbox360 leaves 7800gtx gaming in the dust" because that's what i'm really comparing here: graphics performance. But the multicore cpu on the 360 is a very nice touch.

Actually the 360 is only one generation ahead of desktop GPU's, and when it is launched with in 6 months desktop GPU's will be faster then it. Also the 3 CPU of the 360 won't be fully utilized with the first years of the 360's life span, and by then desktops will have much faster multicore processors by then.

Skirrow said:
HAVE to reply to this one. It made me laugh out loud. You cant upgrade a pc forever. No way. You will eventually change out all the parts and have a completely new system.

The british sitcom 'Only Fools and Horses' put it best when Trigger says "i've had this brush for 20 years, its had 8 new handles and 12 new heads" (near enough to what he says anyway)

Yes, eventually every part will be replaced, but its a cycle. A concole can never be upgraded and has no cycle. Once no one likes the XBOX360 anymore in 2 years its gonna go to ebay for 40$ guaranteed.

right now it does... once r520 is out it wil lbe close i bet, then r580 and some sort of nvidia chip and pc wil lreclaim the top, 6 months at max after 360's release.

The GPU in an xbox 360 does have 48 pixel pipelines. Who cares? Pipelines in a GPU are not the be all and end all of a GPU. Secondly who cares about the PowerPC cpu a lot of them were put into Macs and now who games on a mac? :p Even mac is moving to use intel mainly because IBM processors are no the best IMO. It is impressive that it is multicore, but most of that will go into multitasking or multithreaded apps. I don't know of any games that are multithreaded. Since you can't tweak any settings on a console it will be the games that define the system. Most of the games in the beginning will probably not be able to utilize all the functions of the system anyway. I have played fun games on my xbox, but none that were graphically stunning. Halo 2 was supposted to have better graphics than the original, but all it did was become shiny. The bottom line is that consoles are dependent on their games. They have to compete with other consoles that have exclusive titles. Two big xbox titles halo and fable both came out for PC and look much better than their console counterpart. PCs don't have that set back. It doesn't matter what you use amd or intel you will still be able to play the game. Consoles are good for people who don't want to spend that much on a PC. For the rest of us we can have a better machine than a console anyday. :)

GFreeman9 said:
I have played fun games on my xbox, but none that were graphically stunning. Halo 2 was supposted to have better graphics than the original, but all it did was become shiny.

If we're going on graphics alone then check out project gotham racing 3, I was stunned to find that what I thought was CGI was in-game graphics.

Bo_Bice said:
while this is false, you forgot to factor in that you're wrong.

you can plug the xbox360 into any monitor. it has built in AF and AA options and the ability to run at high resolutions, so this gen will look GREAT on monitors this time around. but hey kudos on acting the typical biased pc gamer who refuses to be aware of available knowledge.

and is it so hard to imagine that a next-next-gen console could have full keyboard/mouse support as well as upgradeability? as well as flexibility in running a custom streamlined OS(specifically talking about MS and xbox) where you could do all the things you could on a PC? but for much much less. i don't see why this can't become a reality, and as soon as the generation after the xbox360. the beauty of consoles for us consumers is that we can get great hardware for cheap that can do amazing things. if LIMITED upgrade options were made, it would be even better. obviously it couldn't be as flexible as a PC or else prices would be hiked up too much, but consider that before you say 'PC forever!' because its not that crazy of a possibility.

read my post again einstein this time more slowly or better yet have your parents read it to you. i was not bashing consoles. i have 3 in my house. i will also buy a 360 and a ps3 just cause i enjoy having newe gadgets.
what i said about consoles is correct. what kind of dope would hook up a 360 to a tiny computer monitor? these new generation of consoles are made for large screens and in the case of the 360 will look best on a high def large screen television.
as to pcs being superior; get over it they are. now put down your webtv keyboard and go do your homework.

rhexis said:
these new generation of consoles are made for large screens and in the case of the 360 will look best on a high def large screen television.
as to pcs being superior; get over it they are. now put down your webtv keyboard and go do your homework.

^Purely opinion

If I wanted to play devils advocate :D I could easily bring up about 10 reasons why consoles are better and flame PC gamers into oblivion.

Its a two way street you know.

i don't agree at all.

while i will likely get a XB360 shortly after xmas, i have no desire to trade in my PC for it.
Currently, my brother and I have all 3 consoles (Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube) with about 7 - 10 games for each. We also each have our own gaming PCs. I see no reason to ditch my PC for a new console.
Sure the 360 will give you amazing graphics that PCs may or may not be able to rival at the time, but your missing the big picture. consoles are made for gaming, PCs are for multiple uses. You won't see me trying to edit my latest home video, or so some photoshop work, or post on [H] for that matter with a console.

Personnaly, if you think that spending $300 for a console to replace your $1000+ PC si a good idea, the you sir are a fool.

true perhaps that was a little over the top since there are games i enjoy better on a console but then again i would never play an fps on a console. controllers and fps just dont mix. i tried playing halo 2 on the console and about had a seizure trying to move and shoot at the same time.

Remember when the original Xbox launched? It was top of the line, GeForce 4 was not out yet (it has a GeForce3.5) 1GHZ CPU's were the top of the line (it has a 700mhz P3 with half the cache, not really a Celeron as the cache is a full 8 way assosiative) it was going to kill PC gaming forever.

Now look at it.

Same thing will happen to the 360. Besides untill consoles have a mouse they will not be as good for certain types of games.

==>Lazn

tornadotsunamilife said:
If we're going on graphics alone then check out project gotham racing 3, I was stunned to find that what I thought was CGI was in-game graphics.

Yeah PGR 3 graphics are uber. I read that there was a controversy whether the screen shots put out were actually real or fake. I think they finally settled it and it is actually real. :eek:

Those graphics make my armpit wet.

Xephian said:
It won't be so good later in about a year.

Really?

far-cry-instincts-20050912100911866.jpg

far-cry-instincts-20050912100908788.jpg

img_3034615.html

Looks pretty good for being 4 year old hardware......

I think it all depends on what kind of game you want to play. If you're interested in FPS or strategy games PC is definitely the better bet, but as far as action and sports games go, there are generally better releases for the consoles. So unless you only like playing a certain type of game, you gotta have both.

rhexis said:
read my post again einstein this time more slowly or better yet have your parents read it to you. i was not bashing consoles. i have 3 in my house. i will also buy a 360 and a ps3 just cause i enjoy having newe gadgets.
what i said about consoles is correct. what kind of dope would hook up a 360 to a tiny computer monitor? these new generation of consoles are made for large screens and in the case of the 360 will look best on a high def large screen television.

wow, i struck a nerve there. judging by your response id place you in the 13-15 age category.

anyway, what dope would play games on a monitor? oh thats right, thousands of pc gamers...also the xbox360 will be superior when it comes out, thats something you'll have to get over.

5150Joker said:
You could already do this for years - it was called a Mac and they made up <5% of the market.

you're right except for the part about it not being a system designed for video games.

This is no different than what they said about the PS2 when it was launched. Supercomputer my ass.

This is probably no different. If nothing else, we just have to wait six months, upgrade then go back to making fun of console gamers.

Sir-Fragalot said:
This is no different than what they said about the PS2 when it was launched. Supercomputer my ass.

This is probably no different. If nothing else, we just have to wait six months, upgrade then go back to making fun of console gamers.

Thats really pathetic. Like really pathetic.

[Fate]Doom said:
Thats really pathetic. Like really pathetic.

Conoles are pathetic. Skimped down computers made to be priced under 400$ and are simplified to a power plug, main box, and dinky controller. Consoles are PC's for retards.

And while the extreme-1337 PC gamers are laughing at console gamers who are laughing at the PC gamers, I'll be enjoying the best of all worlds with my PC games, PS3, and XBOX 360. Owned.

FoxhoundOp said:
And while the extreme-1337 PC gamers are laughing at console gamers who are laughing at the PC gamers, I'll be enjoying the best of all worlds with my PC games, PS3, and XBOX 360. Owned.

woohooo brag all you want.. no one cares..

anyways.... I vote for PC :p consoles are great for games like final fantasy and such.. but they get outdated and dwarfed by pc so fast.....

Back