Xbox 360 on Dell 3007WFP

bitbum

Gawd
I am very happy with my 3007, and mostly use it for games. From what I understand, it only supports DVI-D which my 8800gtx does at the native 2560x1600. I'm thinking about getting an Xbox 360 and would like to know if there is a way to convert the Xbox HDMI to the 3007s DVI-D. Anyone ran into this?

I read in this forum...
3007 can only accept a 1280X800 or 2560X1600 input. Unless you're output device (Xbox) can upscale to those exact resolutions (720P doesn't work), it's not going to work.
It seems the 3007 is much more limited than many monitors in accepting other resolutions i.e. 1080p.

Input welcome.

It accepts two resolutions only.

dual link 2560x1600
single link 1280x800

Any other resolutions are scaled by your video card and output as one of the above.

No variations. If your xbox puts out 1280x720, that wont work any better than 1920x1080p.

Basically this is a computer only monitor. I have never heard of anything except a computer being successfully connected to this monitor.

If it had a VGA input the 360 actually does have 1280x800 output resolution over VGA.

I think the only way you could get it working is buying a piece of hardware to do the analog-digital conversion which could run around $200 and you'd have to double check to make sure it can do 1280x800 specifically.

Other than that you'd be looking at extremely expensive video processors and scalers which would easily cost more than the 3007WFP itself.

I used to connect my PS2 to a HTPC using the X1950Pro VIVO connections, and use WINDVR to display it full screen. maybe a similar setup can be done:confused:

I know this thread is 3 years old but I found it when trying to google answers on how to get an Xbox 360 S 250GB to work on my Dell 3007WFP I've owned for 4 years which is a fantastic monitor but only has one DVI-D input and no built in scaler. Most answers said it wouldn't work due to the monitor only having one DVI input and no built in scaler. Well, I got it to work so I thought I would post my solution in case it helps others.

Most of the credit for the 3007WFP display solution goes to this you tube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZWST-z-hrE
It's in spanish which I don't understand, but I knew if he got it to work I could and was worth attempting. After I got it to work, I watched the video again and then could understand what he did.

I mostly PC game but I also play some Xbox 360 games. I wanted to be able to easily switch between my PC and my new Xbox using the same monitor. I also have an Xbox 360Elite in my living room that my kids play, I wanted to be able to join them in muliplayer games from the comfort and quiet of my den. I also really wanted to play Red Dead Redemption and the hours it takes to play it just annoys my kids who just want to play CoD and Halo games.

Anyway...

Here is how I got it to work:

Gear:
Xbox: 360S 250GB (new slim) (I'm sure any 360 with HDMI will work)
Switch (optional): IOGear 2-Port Dual-Link DVI KVMP Switch, PN: GCS1782 (purchased at Fry's electronics but it is sold online)
HDMI Cable: DVI to HDMI Cable 6ft Male-Male (purchased on amazon.com)
Sound Cable: Optical Cable

1. I connected new xbox to my LCD TV with an HDMI Cable and made sure "Display Discovey" was enabled. Also set sound to digital stereo. Setup Live, etc.

2. Switch Setup: Connected monitor to Switch. Connected PC to Switch with supplied cable from Iogear. Connected HDMI-DVI Cable to switch (360). (The quality of my PC's 2560X1600 is not degraded by the switch.) Note: It took me a while to figure out how to get the switch to work. You just press either port button once (there will be no sound), then wait 2 seconds and the switch will beep and then switch inputs) very easy but not an instantaneous display change.

3. Sound: Connected Optical cable from back of 360S to my PC Sound Card Optical In so the 360 would use my PC stereo speakers and/or headphones. However, the main thing is that the optical cable is for your sound so use it however you can.

4. Xbox 360 on Monitor: The key is that "Display Dicovery" needs to be enabled on the 360 which should be default anyway. You cannot manually choose the resolution, you just get scrambled video if you try. With display discovery on, I started up Xbox 360, it detected the video as DVI and set resolution to 1280X768. Since the Dell 3007WFP has two native resolutions (1280x800, 2560x1600) 1280x768 was close enough to work. However, it puts a repeated row of pixels across the bottom of the screen appx 1 inch tall (you don't miss any video its just repeated). So I just put black electrical tape across to cover it when I play but that is optional of course.

Ok, so I'm very happy and can game with my Dell 3007WFP with both PC and Xbox 360 without having to buy a new 30" monitor. This monitor cost me $1800 when I got it back in 2006 and it still works great so I want to keep it for as long as possible. The video quality of the 360 is actually fantastic, since its not scaled the video looks sharp and clear. The 3007WFP just doubles the dot pitch for 1280X800 but the 360 games still look great. The switch works great, letting me switch to my PC video, grab the keyboard/mouse and surf websites on whatever xbox 360 game I want help with and then easily switch back, very cool.

Now I can kick back in my chair, put my feet up, grab the controller and enjoy Red Dead Redemption in the comfort and privacy of my Den with a great picture on a great monitor.

Back